Lower Control Arm Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Control Arm Tips

I have an '04 G35. The bushing is bad in my left front rearward lower control arm, and I'm planning to replace the whole LCA myself. Looking for OEM or equivalent, as none of my other suspension components are performance. Choosing to do the whole arm, rather than just the bushing, because with 180k miles on the car, I figure the ball joint could fail soon too. Easier to do the whole thing than do it twice.

A couple of questions: 1) are there any good DIY's on this project here? I've tried to find one but haven't had any luck. 2) I've found some suppliers that list the LCA for the coupe, but not for the sedan. Are they interchangeable? I have RWD only... 3) Can anyone recommend an OEM-equivalent brand? 4) Does anyone know if there is an OEM-equivalent that uses the White Line bushings I've read such positive reviews of?

Thanks, everyone!

Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
There's a thread on here where someone bought and replaced the ball joints which is an option, and there are DIY's. There are other manufactures for the LCA's but I believe they come with OEM-like bushings. I didn't replace the ball joints on mine but it wasn't that expensive to have a shop put in the White Line bushings.

The following users liked this post:
GeeBruce (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeBruce
I have an '04 G35. The bushing is bad in my left front rearward lower control arm, and I'm planning to replace the whole LCA myself. Looking for OEM or equivalent, as none of my other suspension components are performance. Choosing to do the whole arm, rather than just the bushing, because with 180k miles on the car, I figure the ball joint could fail soon too. Easier to do the whole thing than do it twice.

A couple of questions: 1) are there any good DIY's on this project here? I've tried to find one but haven't had any luck. 2) I've found some suppliers that list the LCA for the coupe, but not for the sedan. Are they interchangeable? I have RWD only... 3) Can anyone recommend an OEM-equivalent brand? 4) Does anyone know if there is an OEM-equivalent that uses the White Line bushings I've read such positive reviews of?

Thanks, everyone!
I replaced both of my LCA with Dorman's they were about 60 bucks a piece at RockAuto.com.

I put some pics here: https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...verse-lca.html

The LCA doesn't actually have any ball joints though unless you're confusing them with the compression rods. The ball joint the LCA connects too is actually attached at the wheel spindle and I replaced both of those as well with Deeza also from RockAuto.com. You need to rent a ball joint press kit, 1/2 breaker bar, and large pipe for leverage. Here are some pics of those: https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...joints-15.html

GeeBruce (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
There's a thread on here where someone bought and replaced the ball joints which is an option, and there are DIY's. There are other manufactures for the LCA's but I believe they come with OEM-like bushings. I didn't replace the ball joints on mine but it wasn't that expensive to have a shop put in the White Line bushings.
Thank you. That's helpful.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
I replaced both of my LCA with Dorman's they were about 60 bucks a piece at RockAuto.com.

I put some pics here: https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...verse-lca.html

The LCA doesn't actually have any ball joints though unless you're confusing them with the compression rods. The ball joint the LCA connects too is actually attached at the wheel spindle and I replaced both of those as well with Deeza also from RockAuto.com. You need to rent a ball joint press kit, 1/2 breaker bar, and large pipe for leverage. Here are some pics of those: https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...joints-15.html
Yeah, I've been a little confused about whether this is the LCA or the compression rod. The Haynes manual I believe refers to the LCA. I've had a Midas tech tell me it's an LCA, but the dealer said its the compression rod. And I've had trouble finding compression rods on supplier sites... Obviously, I want to be sure I replace the right part.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeBruce
Yeah, I've been a little confused about whether this is the LCA or the compression rod. The Haynes manual I believe refers to the LCA. I've had a Midas tech tell me it's an LCA, but the dealer said its the compression rod. And I've had trouble finding compression rods on supplier sites... Obviously, I want to be sure I replace the right part.
The LCA is actually called a transverse link in the FSM. The strut and sway bar endlinks connect to it. It then attaches to the ball joint on the spindle.

The compression rod also attaches to the spindle, but it's slightly curved and has a metal piece that points out. I'd want to say if the dealer said rearward compression rod this is probably what they are referring to.

Both of these parts you can find at RockAuto.com under the control arm section I think.

Transverse Link:
Lower Control Arm Tips-cdbw4gwbmk-kgrhqmokpqe0u4gmq2tbnnlfog-f-_12.jpg
Compression Rod:
Lower Control Arm Tips-kgrhqn-i8e5d4gmnr-boj-g8h-cq-60_58.jpg

GeeBruce (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
The LCA is actually called a transverse link in the FSM. The strut and sway bar endlinks connect to it. It then attaches to the ball joint on the spindle.

The compression rod also attaches to the spindle, but it's slightly curved and has a metal piece that points out. I'd want to say if the dealer said rearward compression rod this is probably what they are referring to.

Both of these parts you can find at RockAuto.com under the control arm section I think.

Transverse Link:
Attachment 163967
Compression Rod:
Attachment 163968
Thanks again. I pulled out my Haynes again last night, and I can see why they said rearward. I may go ahead and get both and return one if I don't need it when I take it apart. Better safe than sorry.