Control Arm Questions. Please assist.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Control Arm Questions. Please assist.

I’m doing some upgrades to the suspension of my car and I would like everyone’s help/opinion because I’m new to this. I recently ordered Bilstein Pss10 coil over kit for my 06 G35 coupe because I need to replace my front struts. So I figured why not upgrade… I also need to replace my front lower left control arm but I’m considering if it would be preferable to replace all the control arms, bushings, lower and upper links (which I think are the same as the control arms) for the front and back of the car. After doing some research I’m still confused on what I should do. Your feedback is much appreciated!
I also order a motordyne tdx v2 exhaust and am also thinking about buying the Vossen VVSCVT rims. Let me know what you all think about this as well. Thanks

Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Instead of replacing all of the control arms just find a place that will install aftermarket bushings, the arms themselves should be fine.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I just had all my bushings replaced on lwr control arms and compression bushings. I had local nissan dealer do them.They would have installed after market bushings if I had them on hand. I took her in for routine oil change thats when they were found.They said if I want to order the bushings no problem on install. They had the oem bushings in stock so I went with oem.The G was not clunking or making any noise.It only had 88,500 miles on her.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
I also have an 06 coupe with almost 87k but I do get the clunking going up curbs / driveways. Are new bushings the solution ? Also O.P. - since we have the same year, how many miles did u have when it was time to replace those struts ?

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been doing a lot of research on the bushings and I think I want to stay with OEM. I like whiteline however I'm not going to tracking my car anytime soon and I'm going for comfort. I've read that aftermarket bushings will make the ride louder and rougher. My car was is at 75k miles when they told me I needed new front struts, so I just got a coli-over kit.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Originally Posted by LiveSamADamS
I've been doing a lot of research on the bushings and I think I want to stay with OEM. I like whiteline however I'm not going to tracking my car anytime soon and I'm going for comfort. I've read that aftermarket bushings will make the ride louder and rougher. My car was is at 75k miles when they told me I needed new front struts, so I just got a coli-over kit.
In your research did it say OEM is the quietest set for daily driving?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wassup ppl,

Have a question for anyone who can provide some suggestions. Have 07 G35x, up in Montreal. Winter has been a tough one this year, but my G always pulls through...

I have been reading up on lower control arm, compression rod, etc...regarding the suspension. The dealer told me during my last tune-up the passenger side lower suspension bar was loose and would need to be replaced. $650. I have been seeing alot of terms used regarding these parts....also transverse link/arm, etc...I also see people mentioning how the arms are fine, its the bushings that need to be replaced one in awhile...

I am open to your experiences and suggestions.

Thks.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Polyurethane bushings...my best advice!!

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
In your research did it say OEM is the quietest set for daily driving?
What you do NOT want to install in your suspension is polyurethane bushings! I made the mistake of installing poly bushing in my wife's Vette and can't describe in words how much noise they make. Poly bushing are good in areas like engine mounts that don't move but suspension areas like a-arms that constantly move stay with OE parts!
Gary

Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
What you do NOT want to install in your suspension is polyurethane bushings! I made the mistake of installing poly bushing in my wife's Vette and can't describe in words how much noise they make. Poly bushing are good in areas like engine mounts that don't move but suspension areas like a-arms that constantly move stay with OE parts! Gary
Thanks Gary. Is it the fact that they are three pieces or that they are poly. I'm reading that people don't like the whiteline because they squeak at 3 pieces whereas energy don't at 2 piece.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM
is it safe to say that the lower transverse link/arm, etc....are usually fine and it is the bushing that needs to be replaced in most cases??

Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarj06
Wassup ppl,

Have a question for anyone who can provide some suggestions. Have 07 G35x, up in Montreal. Winter has been a tough one this year, but my G always pulls through...

I have been reading up on lower control arm, compression rod, etc...regarding the suspension. The dealer told me during my last tune-up the passenger side lower suspension bar was loose and would need to be replaced. $650. I have been seeing alot of terms used regarding these parts....also transverse link/arm, etc...I also see people mentioning how the arms are fine, its the bushings that need to be replaced one in awhile...

I am open to your experiences and suggestions.

Thks.
I bought Energy Poly Bushings for about $150 and it was $650 for the labor to install them. But for that I got ALL the bushings in the front replaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Texasscout:
Frankieg35 (03-18-2014), Sarj06 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks Texasscout..

I also see Gary C advising NOT to use poly bushings....

My main concern is it really the lower transverse control arm or could it be just the bushing?? why replace the arm if it is really only the bushing???

Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Poly will transmit more road noise. But the improvement in handling is well worth it. Plus, they never wear out.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sarj, unless you have damaged the LCA by hitting it on something there should be no reason to replace the whole thing. However a lot of dealerships and some shops won't replace just the bushing. If you have a good mechanic you trust take it to them for the work.

The following users liked this post:
Sarj06 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Here is my inner lower control arm bushing.. lol
I order energy suspension compression and the bushing in the pic.. lol
Name:  IMG_20140309_120059.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  43.5 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Questions. Please assist.