Lower Control Arm - Bushings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by digital sol
If i had to do it all again I would have bought some used arms cheap & had the new bushings installed before hand so I could straight swap them out. If you have the right tools pushing out the new bushing is easy but finding a 29mm socket locally ended up being a pita. Everytime I found a 29mm socket it was part of a massive kit for $50+ that i did not need. I finally drove some distance and got one from sears.

The next issue I have/still have is pushing the new bushings in. You cant just use a flat piece as you will destroy the bushing. You need a hollow pipe with 1.5" ID and a plate at one side. Being sunday there are 0 machine shops open. I am going to go out tomorrow and see if a local shop can make this for me. I already have a press. If i had the installer piece and 29mm socket before hand its an easy job. Without these its a pita. It seems to me it would be pain in the *** to try to install with them on the car. Its really easy to remove the lower control arm, its just 3 nuts/bolts. I say easy but I also have air tools that powered them off instantly. With hand tools expect to need a breaker bar,

I am replacing the struts, & all the bushings up front so I was planning on removing them either way. I am also doing some slight por15 coating while I am down there with most of everything off the car to kill some rust from spreading.
This is exactly why I started offering that service. No one really cared tho. A few people took me up on it, but I would basically get arms, press out the rubber bushings and grease up and install poly bushings (or whatever bushings you wanted) and send you em to your door. It makes it so much easier.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
This is exactly why I started offering that service. No one really cared tho. A few people took me up on it, but I would basically get arms, press out the rubber bushings and grease up and install poly bushings (or whatever bushings you wanted) and send you em to your door. It makes it so much easier.
I didn't know you even offered it lol!

I knew the car would be down a few days either way, since i wanted to replace the struts and do some por15 covering so ive got a car im borrowing for the week.

That por15 stuff is much harder to coat than I anticipated. Its super thin and runs easily. Its also a royal pita to add more coats because you have to wait for it to "start" hardening which could be 1-3 hours depending on humidity. I was expecting it to be thicker and cover better. It does dry hard as a rock and smooth but not quite what I was expecting. As long as it stops the rust im good with it

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by digital sol
I didn't know you even offered it lol!

I knew the car would be down a few days either way, since i wanted to replace the struts and do some por15 covering so ive got a car im borrowing for the week.

That por15 stuff is much harder to coat than I anticipated. Its super thin and runs easily. Its also a royal pita to add more coats because you have to wait for it to "start" hardening which could be 1-3 hours depending on humidity. I was expecting it to be thicker and cover better. It does dry hard as a rock and smooth but not quite what I was expecting. As long as it stops the rust im good with it
Yeah, I used to talk about it more, but everyone here started talking **** acting like I was trying to "rip people off" because they could have gotten the parts for $15 cheaper. Meanwhile they weren't taking into account the service, convenience and shipping, so I just stopped. Whatevs. Anyone who wants to take off the parts, find a friend to drive them to a shop, pay the dude $50, get silicone grease all over the place, etc. is more than welcome. Haha

Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Yeah, I used to talk about it more, but everyone here started talking **** acting like I was trying to "rip people off" because they could have gotten the parts for $15 cheaper. Meanwhile they weren't taking into account the service, convenience and shipping, so I just stopped. Whatevs. Anyone who wants to take off the parts, find a friend to drive them to a shop, pay the dude $50, get silicone grease all over the place, etc. is more than welcome. Haha
That sucks they had that kind of attitude. I like services like those, the $15 is well worth it. I am hoping the machine shop down the street can just fab me the tool after work tomorrow so I have it for the future and I would prefer to install them myself. Bought a press and all plus need the practice for when I re-do the entire honda w/solid bushing kit. Ill pay a shop to build and engine but anything else I would rather buy the tools and do myself for future know how. Although sometimes the learning curve is a royal pita its 1000% easier the second time around.