brake problem help needed fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes brake problem help needed fast

in the past year, i have had to change my rotors and calipers 3 times. i have no idea what the problem is, but it seems like every 3-4 months my rotors end up warping from having a bump in the places that seem to get hot or something. what i have noticed is that it seems like the calipers are squeazing just a little on there own, causeing hot spots and excessive pad ware. i bled all brake lines, changed rotors and calipers 3 times, and now im getting the same problem again. im getting squeeling from the pads warning thing, rotors are warped again, and its starting to be a pain the ***. can somebody help? has any of you heard of this happenning before? what could cause a caliper to squeaz on its own? another thing is, when i reverse my car in the morning, i can smell the brakes. my driveway is about 30 yards long.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Coupe, sedan, what year?
What brand of rotors were used?
What brand pads were used?
After how many miles do you start feeling vibration in the pedal?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
Coupe, sedan, what year?
What brand of rotors were used?
What brand pads were used?
After how many miles do you start feeling vibration in the pedal?
No vibration on brake pedal. Everything is oem. Car is a 2003 coupe. It seems as if for some reason the calipers are squeezing on its own. Maybe. I'm not sure though.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:55 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by hawaiian5
No vibration on brake pedal. Everything is oem. Car is a 2003 coupe. It seems as if for some reason the calipers are squeezing on its own. Maybe. I'm not sure though.
how do you determine that brakes get hot and warped?

Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 PM
how do you determine that brakes get hot and warped?
It's just a guess. I did jack up the back of the car, spin the wheel, and it spins than stops on the same spot all the time. Another thing I noticed was, a lot of break dust on the wheel compared to the rest. It always happens this way whenever I need to change the rotors. I take the used rotor to the shop and they also say that it's warped.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:46 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
to start with, OEM rotors are absolute crap, it seems that they are made out of recycled cardboard.
Before stepping up to a better aftermarket rotor you need to check if your pads really do ride the rotors. Best way to do it is you need to find a long stretch of a clear road or a neighborhood that you can ride in a circle without touching your brake pedal for a while. Than just roll to a stop (without touching a brake pedal) and step out and feel your rotor temperature. If you have not pressed the brake pedal they should be cool to the touch. If you'r pad does ride the rotor than you'r rotor should be warm to the touch and/or warmer than the rest of the rotors. In that case you have to worry about calipers, but if your rotors are ok to the touch, the only issue you have are a crappy OEM rotors that warp at the sight of the brake pad.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 PM
to start with, OEM rotors are absolute crap, it seems that they are made out of recycled cardboard.
Before stepping up to a better aftermarket rotor you need to check if your pads really do ride the rotors. Best way to do it is you need to find a long stretch of a clear road or a neighborhood that you can ride in a circle without touching your brake pedal for a while. Than just roll to a stop (without touching a brake pedal) and step out and feel your rotor temperature. If you have not pressed the brake pedal they should be cool to the touch. If you'r pad does ride the rotor than you'r rotor should be warm to the touch and/or warmer than the rest of the rotors. In that case you have to worry about calipers, but if your rotors are ok to the touch, the only issue you have are a crappy OEM rotors that warp at the sight of the brake pad.
Thx for your help. I actually did what you said but it was a couple days ago. I didn't touch the rotors, but the car came to a stop on its own without having to apply the brakes. Another thing I noticed is, as the car was slowing down, it felt kinda like something was holding it back the realising it than holding it back and so on.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by hawaiian5
Thx for your help. I actually did what you said but it was a couple days ago. I didn't touch the rotors, but the car came to a stop on its own without having to apply the brakes. Another thing I noticed is, as the car was slowing down, it felt kinda like something was holding it back the realising it than holding it back and so on.
if you have a seriously warped rotor it will do that and rub on the bad in one spot only, that might explain the reason why you'r wheel stopped in the same spot when you free turned it. If you say that you have changed your calipers I doubt that your calipers are biting and piston does not retracts.
You'r pads when you changed them. Where they evenly worn (inside to outside, driver side to passenger side?).
Normally on a calipers that equipped with only one piston on one side, the piston side wears out quicker, but not significantly. If you see an abnormal wear between driver or passenger side, you can probably blame a caliper on the side with more wear. If wear is the same, your calipers are fine. Abnormal wear on one side only would also be caused by riding pad. If all your symptoms are good and you still getting hot spots, its your piece of crap rotors.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like a frozen caliper somewhere. And if it's not that, then perhaps the ABS/EBDF module is failing.