New Member. First Post. ABS Light.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member. First Post. ABS Light.

Okay. I do also have the VDC off and SLIP lights on, but I am primarily focused on the ABS light. I had it scanned. Didn't think to get the code #, but he said irf right front. I said what does irf mean? He said IRF right front! okay? so I say ohhhh RF right front. LOL Hillbilly! Anyway, is this just a dirty sensor? I've read about that causing a problem. I just had my oil changed and fluids topped off. So I don't think it is low brake fluid. I've scanned it myself before (used to work in a shop) I noticed a code about the YAW sensor. I don't really remember what it said.YAW rate? I don't know This was about a year ago, but I am wondering if it has something to do with the '05 having the upgraded 19" Rays. What do you guys think? Seemed like it happened after washing my car.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 PM
UPDATE: The SLIP and VDC light have been on since I bought the car. Always on, BUT the ABS light just came on a few days ago after washing it I guess.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 11-06-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check the ABS valve assembly, if you get it wet it can screw up, did you hose down the engine bay and get everything wet? There is an actuator motor on it, inspect for a damaged harness, it should cycle on for a split second the first time the vehicle reaches 10mph after starting the engine. It's loud enough you can hear it easily with the window down. Sounds like a wierd "whirring and grinding" sound from the engine, lasts about a half second.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the reply... I didn't hose down the engine at all. The ABS does cycle every time. The guy that scanned it said it was the right front ABS sensor, malfunction, or connectivity, or what not.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ahh yeah the individual sensors are mounted at the wheel hub, not "too" bad to replace but it's a tight fit getting in there without disassembling a bunch of stuff. Get it up in the air and you'll see what I mean. At least the part is inexpensive.

Edit: I would buy one from eBay, it's not a common part to fail, inspect yours first it probably broke loose from the hub.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Does it actually need replaced though? I've seen someone say something about the ground/connection being bad due to corrosion. May have been a wheel speed sensor. I'm not sure. All the posts I looked at were for SLIP, VDC off, and ABS. I couldn't find one for just the ABS light.

EDIT: Okay, didn't know this (I did auto body and paint not much mechanical stuff), but apparently the wheel speed sensor is the same thing aka the ABS sensor.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 11-06-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 PM
I looked at your car. Mine is identical, except I put the aftermarket halo projector headlamps in it. Black, Rays, Tint, lol

Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Took a quick peek. Didn't see, but the wire and plug. I could feel that it was bolted on, connected, and not broken. Must just be dirty or faulty. Cheap fix. Plus, I can most likely R&R it myself for $20.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Ok just a little update. I put off fixing this for a while and the ABS light is no longer on. Nice!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That sounds to me like the ABS actuator, I would make 100$ sure no water is getting onto the ABS unit right next to the brake master cylinder, clean out the "gutters" if debris is in them so water flows properly down the channel below the hood, unplug the harness and ensure it's not corroded, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.