Severe rear tire inner edge wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Severe rear tire inner edge wear

This is probably a well spoken of subject but I haven't found much definitive information or some that I've found is too old/incomplete.

I recently started experiencing some heavy wear on the inner edge of one side rear tire. I am lowered on Tein S-techs with stock alignment components so I know the camber is more than factory spec on all four corners. I've had an alignment and re-checked the alignment and the toe are in spec. I've also been running this suspension setup for over a year (10k+ miles) and this sudden inner edge wear went to the cords in 500-1000 miles. Also, the other side rear tire doesn't have any unusual wear pattern like this one did - the inner edge has maybe 1-2mm less than the outer edge, but expected and nothing severe like what's in the image below.

I know the extra camber adds to tire wear, but the way this inner edge was eaten up shows the toe is going out of spec while the car is rolling. So I'm guessing it's a bad bushing or something that is giving out under load/whilst driving. I've taken a look and can't see any bushing obviously compromised besides the one for the shocks.

I guess I'm going to start replacing bushings anyway. Where would you guys recommend I start? Or could the ball joint be giving way at 170k miles?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take it to an alignment shop, they almost always diagnose for free and will tell you exactly what the problem is since they do it all day every day for a living. Saves a lot of hassle trying to figure it out yourself.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I've taken it to sears (not a good place), a tire kingdom and a local shop. All of them say it's lowered so that tire wear is expected.....even though it's only one side and the wear is clearly because of toe. It's pretty much on the sidewall. (I have replaced the tire already).

Old 11-25-2017, 04:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Then it sounds like they never actually looked for a problem, if nothing else pay for an alignment job, when they CANT correct it they'll find what the broken component is but usually once you get the vehicle up on 4 jackstands and start pulling around on every component with a bushing/balljoint/tie rod end you quickly find what's loose. Now might be a good time to order up an "essentials" kit from whiteline/energy suspension/etc and just start swapping bushings out since you have 170k on the chassis and I'm sure they're ALL pretty much shot.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh and get a camber kit while you're at it, you're going to have everything disassembled anyways :P

Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If the knuckle is worn like that, you have caster? issues man. The whole knuckle was likely dancing around in there over every minor road imperfection.

Time to order the energy suspension rear bushing kit and swap everything. Would highly recommend a CAMBER KIT, but you don’t necessarily NEED one. Would also recommend the diff bushing kit from energy. It MUST BE the revised one. The old one slips out like a wet noodle.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo900.jpg   Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo588.jpg   Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo603.jpg   Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo53.jpg   Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo221.jpg  

Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo698.jpg   Severe rear tire inner edge wear-photo587.jpg  
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sears...seriously? I frequently compare a monkey fu*king a football to watching Sears mechanics working! Quality alignment shops check suspensions prior to doing an alignment, with worn or broken parts it's a waste of time! Ask your friends and neighbors along with your favorite auto parts store what independent brake/alignment shop does the best work. If you find one, you'll never go any where else!
Gary

Old 11-25-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
It's most definitely gonna be either the bushing in your spring bucket or the bushing in the control arm. They don't always have to "look" broken. Hell, even if it's slightly worn and you put your toe into spec on the rack, once you drive it out of the parking lot, a worn bushing can shift your camber enough to screw up your toe. This is why the comp rods bushings were screwing up everyone's tires. Once they wore slightly, the suspension couldn't hold the proper geometry.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Found this, if you decide to do the upgrades: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ml#post8564405

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.