HELP!!! Brakes Squeeling just replaced new pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
LEK
That Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
HELP!!! Brakes Squeeling just replaced new pads

Today I replaced my oem (Brembo equipped) pads with Hawk HPS brake pads. Now when I press the brakes they are squeeling like nuts. Like really loud squeeling. The only thing I can think of it's I didn't change the brake "shims"? That little metal plate thing on the back of the brakes. Is this harmful to the brakes? I guess I can stand the noise for another 20k LOL but I might not ba able to. Where do I buy replacement shims? The pads I purchased did not come with it. Or is it not the shims? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have your rotors turned? Did you seat seat them in or just go driving like normal again? Did you use any form of brake lube?

Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey i just changed mine too and i am having the same problems, i reused the rear shims. Mine only squeak about 25% of the time but its real annoying. I used the same brake pads, DIDNT turn the rotors and did not use and kind of lube on the pads. Also when i put the car in reverse and then step on the brakes there is a slight clunk, comming from the rear. It sounds like the pads hitting the rotors to align or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get rid of the squeeling and what that clunk sound might be?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
just wondering if anyone knows a fix for this problem. did replacing the shims get rid of the squealing? i don't recall there being shims to replace...and none of the DIYs i looked at made any mention of "brake shims" - do i need to get a particular kind or are they universal?

i replaced my brembos also w/ hawk hps. at first the squealing was periodic, so i thought maybe it was just cuz they were new...but it just kept getting louder. it's so loud now that i'm afraid that if i don't fix it, i'll do some permanent damage to my hearing!

squealing is only coming from the rears. happens during light braking. i've redone the rears TWICE - i thought maybe i didn't let the disc brake quiet dry long enough the first couple times, but now i'm pretty sure that this is not the problem. i haven't touched the rotors, they still seem in decent condition - no noticeable grooves. any suggestions and info on shims would greatly appreciated.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Did you guys bed in the pads?

Check HERE for info

Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Had the same problem when i switched out my OEM pads for Hawks as well, however i removed the calipers/pads again and sprayed a generous amount of 'disc brake quiet' on the back of the pads and shims and alllllll noise has since dissappeared!! Also had the guy 'LEK' who created the thread do the same and his noise is good as gone!! you can buy some of the red spray from autozone/advance auto for like $2-3...

Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM
hmm...thanks for the input. i did bed the brakes, but will look over stoptech's page and try this again...maybe i missed something before.

pdjafari - the disc brake quiet spray that you mentioned, is that different from the reddish/orange goop? i bought the goop from autozone and have been using that. have actually redone the rears twice, using more goop each time. sqealing goes away for an hour or two, but always returns... regarding shims - should i look for a particular kind or are they pretty universal? thanks in advance! i'll definitely be making a trip back to autozone soon...

Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
If you used brake caliper grease and it still squeals, then your rotors need to be turned. I've changed my brake pads twice already and used caliper grease both times but with the 2nd time around (to Hawk), I used a lil more grease than usual and replaced the shims. I still had slight squealing that developed after a couple months so I had Grubbs Infiniti check the rotors out. They said rotors should be turned/resurfaced every time you change your pads. And so I did and the squealing is now gone. They charged $120 to do the front rotors. My rears didn't need to be turned.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
i didnt have a problem w/ mine just put a little disc brake quiet on them and no noise.