Warning for those covered by 3yr/36k brake warranty.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning for those covered by 3yr/36k brake warranty.

I have an 03.5 sedan with 36,740 miles on it. My brakes began squealing the last couple days and I called my local Infiniti dealer to see if they would still cover me. The service guy told me that Infiniti is refusing to cover "good will" warranty work on these brakes, (the rears on the FX35 too). He also said they refused a G35 with 36,100 on it. I'm going down there in person tomorrow to see if I can wrangle something and will let you know the outcome but looks like they're taking the hard line. Moral: Get your cars in there if you're close to 36k.

This will be my second pad replacement. Mine seem to last about 18K before they go. I don't know the condition of the rotors. At $70 per pad and $140 per rotor, I will probably do some aftermarket pads and rotors if it comes down to it.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 AM
which models have the break warranty? what are the terms of the brake warranty?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Well the warranty is 3/36 so I highly doubt any dealership would cover the brakes.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had mine replaced under the 3/36 warranty because mine were squeaking also.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
I was also just over 36K and my brakes started squeaking. They told me the same thing, that it would not be covered....

Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm just under my 3/36k and my front rotors and pads needed to be replaced and they volunteered that it was covered and did it happily. GEE - I almost guarantee that your rotors will need to be replaced (say hello to about $550).. hopefully you can speak w/ someone and shmoooz them into covering you.

They didn't replace my rear rotors (just pads) so I'm going to see how many mm's are left and try to go back right before to get them replaced also.

Good luck!!

Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Update: No go. They are holding to the corporate line. I can see their point 3/36 is 3/36. When do you cut it off if you let it slide over? Not happy about it though and I let them know. Local dealer quoted $240 for all pads including labor. If rotors need to be replaced cost could increase to around $500 +/- a little.

I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of the OEM brakes (besides dust). They are very good in all street/weather conditions. The wear characteristics aren't a strong point to be sure. We get a lot of rain here and the season is moving into the 30-40 degree days with wet. I don't want to be a guinea pig for different aftermarket pad and rotor combinations which may or may not provide better performance and wear characteristics. This time I'm going to stick with OEM.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my Hawk HPS pads in since the W/E. No problems with the sub-freezing temps in the mornings this week, nor with the snow the one day.

No squealing on the OEM rotors, and no noticeable dust so far. I don't think I'd go back to the OEM pads, though I've heard they've been improved. We'll see what they're like when the temps go to almost -40, but a buddy has them in his car for over a year, and I haven't heard any problems.

Since you're in Portland, your winters will be milder, and I'd say you'd be safe in going with the Hawks.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:20 PM
i am a tech at a lexus dealership and let me tell u one thing i know about warranty and "good will". if u have an up to date history of your services and stuff for when they were schedualed, they will offer more of a leway on your just out of warranty work, but if u have done nothing but oil changes, turn down rec. services and complaints about things while under the warranty, they will rip u a knew ******* 1 mile out of warranty, justa heads up
-Adam

Old 11-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Gordgee: I will let you test them for me and will be interested in your thoughts once you get through your winter. Your opinion would carry some weight with me. It's the wet + semi-cold weather that concerns me. I read many brake pad posts and couldn't come to any conclusions on what might work best for me. Like I said, besides the brake dust, the performance of the brakes have been exceptional in all conditions. Since I've replaced them at 18k and now just over 36k I can also estimate the next round will be around 54k. By then I suspect there'll be more out of warranty owners who are trying different combos and more experiences to draw on.

I'll admit also to taking the easy way out. I just couldn't take the squealing another day! It progressed very rapidly from a small squeal to an embarassing metallic squeal/squawk (2-3 days). My kids and I were calling it a bird stuck in the wheels. I didn't have time to to do my research and don't like making snap decisions. I'll make sure I don't get caught off guard next time.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by NaztyG
i am a tech at a lexus dealership and let me tell u one thing i know about warranty and "good will". if u have an up to date history of your services and stuff for when they were schedualed, they will offer more of a leway on your just out of warranty work, but if u have done nothing but oil changes, turn down rec. services and complaints about things while under the warranty, they will rip u a knew ******* 1 mile out of warranty, justa heads up
-Adam
Thanks Adam-
I have found this true for Toyota and Acura, but for Infiniti, it didn't make a difference. I have been going to the same dealer for all the recommended services. I even purchased the car at that dealership. When I first inquired about the extremely fast wearing brakes (before the warranty was issued) they blew me off and was going to charge me full price and told me that the rotors could not be turned. Then the warranty was issued, they told me that they could turn the rotors. Now when I inquired about my squeaking brakes at 36,100 miles, they told me that they would have to charge me. They absolutely have done nothing for me as a loyal customer.

I think Lexus is an exception to the rule. I have only heard good things about their customer service.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Same experience as Eticketride. First time I called and was told flat out they wouldn't cover it. No check of service records or anything. They didn't even ask my name. In person, same story.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeMan
Gordgee: I will let you test them for me and will be interested in your thoughts once you get through your winter. Your opinion would carry some weight with me. It's the wet + semi-cold weather that concerns me. I read many brake pad posts and couldn't come to any conclusions on what might work best for me.
This week, it's been as low as -20C (-5F) in the mornings. Absolutely no problems with braking on the HPS pads, so I'm not sure what the comments about them being terrible in the cold are about. They feel virtually the same as the OEM pads in the cold.

I'll post again if we get the -35C to -40C (-40F) temps that we sometimes get for a few days up here every year. I don't anticipate any problems however, but we'll see.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming.

I probably have about 8K or so left on the rears (just had the fronts replaced). This time I will be ready when they start squealing.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Darn.... I didn't know about this brake warranty. I just had my front brakes replaced at Wheel Works this past weekend, because it was squeaking (29k miles).
Any other Infiniti warranty I should be aware of?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning for those covered by 3yr/36k brake warranty.