Lowering G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering G35?

I am planning on getting a 03-05 g35...I want to lower it about an 1.5-2 inches....would it be stupid to just put lowering springs??Whats my best bet for this??I dont want to spend alot of money on suspension...any help is appreciated

Old 03-05-2006, 03:17 PM
if you want to drop it by that much, i would not suggest you to simply put springs on, it will dramatically worsen your ride quality, and your stock shocks will wear out super fast. If you want the cheapest yet effective method, go with Tein Basics coilovers.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, in the long run it would be a bad idea, unless you don't care one bit about premature shock wear, bad camber issues (tirewear), worse handling. Get aftermarket shocks at the very least, do some research on whether they will work well with your springs. And even then, your car may not handle as good as stock, depending on the spring you choose, spring rates, etc. The last thing you want is a car with loose handling and even more body roll than stock. If you're buying a $30k and care about performance, please don't try to cheap out on parts.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Mmhm...
your good with a coilver kit, buying lowering springs in the long run will probably cost you more than buying a coilover kit becuase of tires allignments etc.. im curently saving for tein basics. and 1.5 and 2 inches is a CRAZY drop its really low depending on what size wheel/tire your putting on.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
tanabe

I ordered some Tanabe NF210 springs. They say it's less then 10% stiffer. I bought camber kit front&rear too. I was hoping I didn't have to go the whole enchilada just yet.
So you guys think thats BS and the NF is not for "normal feel"?

Last edited by mondo; 03-05-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by slateg35_05
your good with a coilver kit, buying lowering springs in the long run will probably cost you more than buying a coilover kit becuase of tires allignments etc.. im curently saving for tein basics. and 1.5 and 2 inches is a CRAZY drop its really low depending on what size wheel/tire your putting on.

What difference does it make if you lower with coilovers or springs and shocks? Both are going to cause the same type of alignment issues.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes but when you buy a coil over the spring and shock are specifically designed to work with one another. I havnt seen a shock made for a specific type of spring yet. if you can find on a box of shocks saying its designed for what spring rate.. let me know.. it'll say something like "for a 1" drop" if that.

yes as long as you lower your car you'll be out of specs for camber. if its not a major drop you might be able to get your toe back into place..

reason to get coil overs. some coilovers allow you to adjust front caster and camber through the assembly (example would be JIC).

DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT! fork over the cash for coilovers.. dont make the mistake that most of us did (including myself) i had tein s-techs, yes the drop was perfect but the ride was crap compaired to my OEM sports suspension. also the springs were SOFTER then my stocks causing me to loose performance.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:44 PM
THE BATMOBILE
best bet would be to get some coilovers.......but it costs $$$$$

Old 03-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just have tein-s springs on stock sport shocks and the ride quality hasn't changed.
All i have noticed is quicker turn in and less body roll. I dont know if it woks the same on the coupe.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Premier Member
Originally Posted by truplay8
best bet would be to get some coilovers.......but it costs $$$$$

+ 1

Old 03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
D-Specs

I would highly recommend a set of Tokico D-specs for all of the above mentioned reasons to go with coilovers- yet won't set you back like coilovers will:

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/d-spec.html

The versatility in drop and ride of this strut/spring combo is incredible.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:38 AM
+1 for coilovers. the set of H&R springs i got although gave me better cornering ability and quicker response with lower centre of gravity as you would expect, ride quality decreased from OEM sport suspension.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 AM
too bad I couldn't just get the tokico D shocks without the springs. I don't think they are adjustable (ride height wise). Then I could put the tanabe lowering springs (which I found out are only up to 3% stiffer) on and adjust the dampning/rebound rate with the shock adjuster.
Of course by then I'm close to just getting the Tanabe coilovers I was looking at in the first place (Tanabe Sustec Coilovers PRO S-0C Type II) . Damn!

Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, to start my research what is a good coilover set-up to start with? I do not want to give up much ride comfort.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by BadCommand
I would highly recommend a set of Tokico D-specs for all of the above mentioned reasons to go with coilovers- yet won't set you back like coilovers will:

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/d-spec.html

The versatility in drop and ride of this strut/spring combo is incredible.
how much does the d-specs drop the coupe? your almost paying as much as tein basics, would it be better (ride quality and safest) to just get the basics???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering G35?