Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

g35 or g37???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Hm, some interesting posts here. I've been on the fence about a G37 for the past few months, now that I can finally afford it if I choose. I'm also considering test driving a 135i, TL Type-S, and Accord V6 Coupe.

Really, though, the price of a used G35 Coupe is what's intriguing me. It's hard to justify $15k on top of a 06 with low miles for a smoother power band and a bit better interior. Hell, for that much less I could buy a second car for winter or saving on gas.

I'm coming from a 04 Mazda6 so I think any G35 will blow mine out of the water.

Thoughts?

15K gets you a fully loaded G37S. what's not to like? a smoother powerband, more power, bigger engine, better interior, amazing suspension, bigger brakes and a key chain? If your coming from a mazda6 then im sure you'd be content with the 35. if your coming from a 3 series then a 37 would be my strongest recommentation. either way you'll be fine. the day i loose sleep over which infiniti i should get will be the best day of my life LOL

whatever you get -go for the 6MT.

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by ThRty 7
15K gets you a fully loaded G37S. what's not to like? a smoother powerband, more power, bigger engine, better interior, amazing suspension, bigger brakes and a key chain? If your coming from a mazda6 then im sure you'd be content with the 35. if your coming from a 3 series then a 37 would be my strongest recommentation. either way you'll be fine. the day i loose sleep over which infiniti i should get will be the best day of my life LOL

whatever you get -go for the 6MT.
Yes, any car I get will be a 6MT. I won't budge on that.

I'm thinking the G35 will be plenty fast and fun for me. I am, however, relatively concerned with the gas mileage it gets. Don't get me wrong, I can afford it, but it's tough to justify when other relatively fast competitors get better mileage. And saving several hundred dollars a year would be nice, too.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the mileage on both the G35 and G37 concerns me (not just the G35).

Old 06-18-2008 | 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Yes, any car I get will be a 6MT. I won't budge on that.

I'm thinking the G35 will be plenty fast and fun for me. I am, however, relatively concerned with the gas mileage it gets. Don't get me wrong, I can afford it, but it's tough to justify when other relatively fast competitors get better mileage. And saving several hundred dollars a year would be nice, too.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the mileage on both the G35 and G37 concerns me (not just the G35).

Technically speaking -any car G35/G37/335/A4/S4 -etc.. are all cars that you'll probably be driving hard. and don't lie to your self like I did either and say you'll just drive spirited 10% of the time cuz it won't happen. the second you sit on heavily bolstered seats with the windows rolled down (with a 6mt) -you'll practically beg the car to floor itself.

any sports car comes with that consequence. so does every SUV and every pick-up truck. thats why those vehicles are in many ways looked at as secondary vehicles or niche' vehicles. if your getting a 35/37 and are looking at gas as a deciding factor i would say there aren't many cars out there that do much better within the price bracket your looking for. The 335 does get a lot better mileage but it costs A LOT more..

surprisingly tho -the G has a lot of features that monitor feul consumption and tracks your weekly consumption. it tells you the MPG/trip/week/day/etc.. and shows you as you drive what the consumption will be according to your driving habbits.

Old 06-18-2008 | 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by ThRty 7
surprisingly tho -the G has a lot of features that monitor feul consumption and tracks your weekly consumption. it tells you the MPG/trip/week/day/etc.. and shows you as you drive what the consumption will be according to your driving habbits.
I've got a gadget that plugs into my ODB-II port that essentially does the above, and it'll work on just about any car. So I'll have that with whatever I choose.

I'm thinking of maybe cutting my budget back to around $25k or so. This would put me in line with a used G35c. However, in doing some research for a fun car that gets decent mileage I've found a few that might be worth looking at. That is, I'm thinking of either a Mini Cooper S, Mazdaspeed 3, or RX-5.

Yeah, they're not luxury cars, but I realized that really I want something that, above all, is fun.

That said, I need to start taking some test drives and figure out whether or not I'm down with something that gets awful fuel mileage.

Old 06-18-2008 | 09:44 PM
In the same boat

I too am (or was) torn between the nicely equipped G37 at ~$38k, versus an OK equipped 2005 g35 at ~$22k. I can afford both, but It's really hard for me to justify spending an extra $16k for the new g37.

I prefer the exterior styling of the G35, but the interior of the G37. The G37 exterior looks too girly for me. Plus what happened to that big ol beast of a wing?? Replaced by a chrome lip? Come on.

I don't plan on taking this thing on the track, but I will do some light modding. (I'm getting the AT for Christ's sake, yeah i'm a faker). I test drove both of them, and the G37 was definately more comfortable and responsive. (Theyre exhausts both rumble like a muth@#@!! I love it!)

Another thing, If I scratched my brand new $38k car, I'd be tottally pissed...because of how much it would cost to get fixed, but if I scratched my $24k car, I wouldnt mind trying to fix it myself.

I also cant justify paying $1,100 in property taxes the first year, which is about what a $38k luxury car would require (atleast here in SC).

With all that said, the G35 is a bit dated. If I get an 05 or 06 model in 2008, The car will be about 7 years old by the time i'm done making 48 payments. Not to mention the cost of repairs and older car inevitably needs. Atleast with a new G37, I know i'm good for atleast 4 years.

To me, the determining factor is price. Not power or cabin luxury. ~280hp with no in-dash LCD is fine with me, especially when i'd be upgrading from a 2004 jetta, with 2 handicapped mules under the hood. If I look around I can find an under priced 2005 G35, and by the time I'm done or almost done paying it off, I can trade it in (and not be upside down) and get a g37... or a 335i...or an A5..?

Last edited by kable33; 06-18-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: missed sumn
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lolly Baggins

Nicely said.
you do realize that he's saying the g35 does not compare in quality or performance to the g37, right?

edit: btw, i did read your post, and i guess i don't understand what you mean by "sport" and what makes the g35 "sportier". also, a comparably equipped 335 runs 10K more than a g37. don't get me wrong here. i liked my 06 6mt, but i do like the g37 better. i know a lot of guys feel differently and i completely understand and respect where they come from. there are sweet g35's that make me turn my head, but i'm suprised that infiniti guys are bashing their own. i don't see g37 guys reciprocating the put downs.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 06-18-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2008 | 11:57 AM
the old always bashes the new.

Look at NASIOC every time a new body comes out...

02/03 guys HATED the 04/05 guys, who hated the 06/07 guys, who now hate the 08 guys.

00-03 S2k guys bash the 04-08 guys who bash the 08 CR, but ultimately, each iteration is faster and better built than the previous iteration

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:52 AM
|
well guys im coming from a 2006 jeep wrangler 65th anniversary 6MT. im going to buy the g35. in the end its the exterior that draws me into the car. i can easily afford a g37...but im not gonna pay 40,000. i wanted a fast car. i mean come on as a 17 year old i feel the need for speed and the jeep is an awesome car but not in the speed department. anyways the g35 im buying is the last brand new 07 g35 6MT left. i already went to the dealer to purchase it but we didn't agree on the price. that was 3 weeks ago and they haven't stopped calling since. so im going back very soon. that car will be mine.

Old 06-21-2008 | 12:09 PM
A 17 year old can't legally buy a car... AFAIK...

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:32 PM
|
lol..well lets say i look older. i got the money in my account. parents gave me the ok to purchase the car cuz they are always out of town and cant buy it for me.

Old 06-21-2008 | 04:42 PM
you're unable to legally sign the paperwork to take ownership of the car AFAIK...

don't quote me on that.

Old 06-22-2008 | 01:52 AM
|
well i'll deal with that when i come to it. not to sound spoiled money can get u anything,..but when, not if, i get the car ill post up the pix right away if anyone doesn't believe me.

Old 06-22-2008 | 03:32 PM
Want something to make up your mind. I'll sell you my G35 right now for 20k cash. It's an 03, only 12k miles 6mt, navi, bose and brembo's fully loaded in perfect condition.

Old 06-22-2008 | 04:11 PM
|
sounds good but im not interested. i have my mind set on a brand new car.

Old 06-23-2008 | 02:25 PM
If you can tolerate the looks of the G37, it's an easy choice. It's the superior car in every aspect, and is worth the price difference. Although, to me, it looks like the whole ugly tree fell on it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 or g37???