Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Getting a g35 as a college student, stigma? in a bad area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 19 and right now I have an old '01 ford ranger thats pretty beat up that I got as a hand me down. My parents(no hate) are willing to drop 8-10k on a car for me since i've never really had my own, and i found a few already in that range. I was wondering does the g35 give off a rich spoiled kid vibe?If someone got a new accord, it would be so much more expensive than what my cars gonna cost and no one bats an eye, so I don't understand the stigma. I'm usually really modest, but the g35 has been my dream car for a while. Also deciding on coupe vs sedan.

On another note, I don't live in the best area. The city that my campus is in has a bad crime rate, but im not in the ghetto part. I do see chargers and mustangs and other nice looking cars going around somewhat often(students), but majority of the cars are modest here. Am I asking for trouble by getting a car like this in a bad area?

Last edited by domoarigato; 03-31-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I went to college in Boston. Morning's after parties, i would come outside and see shopping carts sitting on the roofs of BMW's that the rich kid's parents bought them. After a few drunken parties, cars would get rolled on the side in the parking lot.

My buddies accord got stolen on campus...twice. Last time they found a homeless guy living in it using the rear seat as his toilet. That got it totaled out.

The kid's with nice cars did get messed with. Sucks, but i saw it quite often.

I drove a $1500 Lincoln mark 8 to college. Nobody touched it thankfully but it wasn't exactly a flashy car. When i graduated and got a job, i bought myself a brand new Mustang GT.

In my opinion...keep the ranger through college. Save they money and apply it towards books and school loans and cheaper car insurance. Graduating with as little debt as possible is FAR more important than any cool car.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same option as you in college but I went ahead and got it for 8k. Never got messed with but I went to school in a town that consisted of the college and that's about it. Still got some rift raft that came down from Chicago on the trains so it was somewhat of a concern but I had it there for a year and never got messed with.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I have one and many kids at my school have much nicer or newer cars. No one messes with cars because most of them are on camera on campus. I would just recommend a 2012 Ford Focus cash though, as you get an accessory plug in standard and can rock out to some good tunes .

I've had both the coupe and sedan, but the sedan was always nicer when I had to take friends places.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Agreed^^ I've got the sedan now so I'm in love with it. No problems with it.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer

I've had both the coupe and sedan, but the sedan was always nicer when I had to take friends places.
Well that made me a little unsure haha. I mainly wanted to get the coupe because it looks so much nicer(imo) and i've found them for the same price. In the coupe how do you slide the chairs forward to let people in the back? Is it motorized and slow, or is it like a normal coupe where you just slide it manually? I've heard that if people get in and out a lot it can wear down the gears in the seat quick.

Pros?cons? since you owned both you seem like the best person to ask

Old 10-14-2015, 03:04 PM
bump?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
yes it is motorized and it is on the slow side. Are you planning on being an Uber driver or something? Who cares, most of the time you're just using the front seats anyway.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Don't worry about a new car right now dude, it's not worth it. I waited until my senior year right before my commissioning into the military to buy a new car since I'd be traveling more.
Like said above, save your money for a few years and then revisit the idea...without your parents help. You are a college boy now, learn the very rare characteristic these days of SELF-RELIANCE! Insurance is going to be more pricey and you'll probably be paying more for gas. Do your research and put together a financial plan laying out all expenses vs income before making a big purchase.
I know it'd be legit having a new ride to show off but don't screw yourself over early in life.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I don't think it matters at this point. These cars are getting old and have trickled down to 3rd and 4th or more owners by now. You could buy 3-4 G35's for the price of a new Honda Accord

Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Do it and don't look back dude. unless you ghetto your ride out its just a clean car. I am in your shoes right now and just picked up a G coupe. you can find them for unreal prices right now too