Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Should i buy this or not please help is it worth it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should i buy this or not please help is it worth it

I am looking at an infinity g35x, 197000 kms on it , the car needs an exhaust probably like around C$ 300 to 400 C$ in addition to a leak in the power steering lines, the person says that it is in the lines am afraid it might need a rack and pinion part which is expensive. On these two problems the person is asking $C 5600 for the car do you think i should take it or is it over priced please help . Here are some of the pictures underneath the car

Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Man you Canucks have to deal with a lot of weather related BS with your cars. I don't think I've ever seen a rust issue so bad on the underside of a car, I would stay far, far away from that one. But, that might be the norm for high mileage cars up there so hmmm. My advice always for buying a used car which a lot of us would agree with is to take any car you're looking to purchase to a Nissan/Infiniti dealer or other trusted mechanic for a used car inspection. If you don't you run the risk of having something potentially major being wrong with the car that you can't see with the eyes or determine by a simple short test drive.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Run far away

Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
They're all going to look like that on the bottom somewhat if they've been daily driven for any time in the winter, but if you've got any rust-through it's likely there's more hiding in other places in the car. I've got expensive/PITA rust issues with mine and it doesn't look half as bad around the bolts and important bits. I suggest keep looking, every bolt is going to be seized and it would be a miracle if that car wasn't about to rust out somewhere and cost you a lot of time/money.

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only spot of rust on it that actually has me concerned is the one photo where you can see it flaking and peeling apart the separate layers of metal. Big components like the transmission, propeller shaft, rear diff, and axle shafts develop surface corrosion that LOOKS bad but will not affect the mechanical integrity of them at all. The various bolts/straps and other components that are simply for attaching things to the chassis will rust because they don't have the anti-corrosive undercoating that the chassis has. The exhaust system is a non-issue to me since it's easily replaced as an entire unit.

What I would be more concerned about are components like the starter that are expensive and likely prematurely damaged from corrosions, also the rack & pinion because it's expensive if you're paying someone else to replace it.

If there is any substantial chassis rust in the wheel wells, fenders, etc then I would walk away if this is a vehicle you plan on keeping for more than a few years, you'll be fighting it for a LONG time and the amount of time and money it takes to correct those problems will probably be something you don't want to pay for. If you can do the work yourself that's a different story but it's still a considerable amount of TIME to fix it.

If you do purchase then buy two cans of PB blaster and literally spray EVERYTHING thoroughly, if it's rusty, if it has a bolt, if it looks like it moves. Don't spray inside the starter and don't spray the brakes (use a rag to prevent overspray) but you should spray literally EVERYTHING ELSE as a preventative measure, it will help penetrate the threads and it sticks around for a year or so which will help keep the fasteners from corroding any more as well as help make them easier to remove in the future when you do need to take them off. Get a quote from a muffler shop on replacing everything on the exhaust from the cats back since it looks like it's about to fall apart anyways. As a temporary measure you can buy a can or two of rustoleum rust-reformer/converter and spray everything under the car that's rusty on the chassis, it will help prevent further corrosion somewhat.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Here's an ongoing thread where I'm posting updates and questions about my battle with rust starting from where the other thread left off. Lots of horror pics in here of what you might have to deal with if you buy this car. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...-opinions.html

What concerns me is that if all that stuff on the undercarriage is rusty, there is likely worse rust hiding somewhere else. Like inside the frame rails/quarterpanels/rockers where you can't see it until it breaks through and you have a big cancerous hole. See picture below inside my car's driver side rocker panel right in front of the rear wheel.

opinions.html

As Cleric said, everything you showed can be cleaned up, even the flaking piece although you'd want to do it quickly as that piece is rapidly running out of material to rust away. My oil pan, sway bar, front Xmember, and front suspension pickup points looked like yours until I went ham on it with a drill/wirewheel and a can of rust reformer - Now it's like new and it'll stay that way for years of daily winter duty since I removed all dirt, grease, and flaking rust with a wire wheel and paint prep spray before using the rust reformer:

Good luck, let us know what happens! I'm sharing this info because likely any G you find up in Canada that was driven in winter will look similar to this one on the underside. Just takes some TLC.

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-11-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by cswlightning
front suspension pickup points looked like yours until I went ham on it with a drill/wirewheel and a can of rust reformer

I literally LOL'd when I read this. Pretty sure I know what it means but I've never heard it said that way..........

Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 AM
ham = hard as mother********
Glad to be of service