Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't really speak for the g35 but I would get the 6MT. I have 99 z3 coupe 5 speed and love shifting thru the gears on the freeway and on the street. It puts me more in control of the car. If I get a g35 coupe then I will get the 6MT if I get the sedan then I will get the 5AT.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sumlime311
Your the biggest ***** i have seen on this forum. the car is not a full out sports car. the thing is a luxury coupe. the only way i would ever buy a MT is if the car had well over 350HP if not there is no need for it. The AT is just as good in the cars. It has been proven way to many times that the MT does not smash the AT. Its all a drivers race. ***** Bag.
How is it a drivers race if an AT driver just pushed down on a pedal? Remember driving is not stop lighting racing. I have mentioned before you can teach any idiot to drive an auto equipped car (A great example of this are the soccer loving, cell phone talking moms in their SUVs). Throw the average American in a 298hp Manual car and they couldnt get it out of the parking lot. Shifting well takes talent and so does knowing what gear to be in what situation. Please dont kid yourself.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, it's not like I don't know how to drive a manual guys . I've been doing that for 10 years now. And the Track model 350Z only comes in a manual, so that answers whether or not I can actually drive a 6MT.

I was just wondering who had regrets with either decision on 6MT vs 5AT? Or who had problems with their 6MT? So far none.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Track
Well, it's not like I don't know how to drive a manual guys . I've been doing that for 10 years now. And the Track model 350Z only comes in a manual, so that answers whether or not I can actually drive a 6MT.

I was just wondering who had regrets with either decision on 6MT vs 5AT? Or who had problems with their 6MT? So far none.

Okay . . . I definitely have no regrets on getting the MT.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:19 PM
depends on the traffic..if you live in so cali...get 5at..but then again i live in so cali and i have a 6mt...

I currently have a 2003 350Z Track.

I'm thinking about ordering a 2006 G35 Coupe Liquid Platinum/Graphite because I have VPP. I just can't decide between the 6MT and the 5AT though.

If I get the 6MT, it comes with everything I want.
If I get the 5AT, I need to add the Sport-tuned Suspension Package. In total the 5AT will cost me only $828 more.

I just don't want to deal with clutch/transmission problems with the 6MT down the road. I know MOST of you will say 6MT, but I don't want to run into problems with it.

So anyone here have a lot of problems with their 6MT

I don't plan on doing anything special with the car. Just put my Volks on it and drop it...maybe de-badge it, etc. Nothing crazy.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
How is it a drivers race if an AT driver just pushed down on a pedal? Remember driving is not stop lighting racing. I have mentioned before you can teach any idiot to drive an auto equipped car (A great example of this are the soccer loving, cell phone talking moms in their SUVs). Throw the average American in a 298hp Manual car and they couldnt get it out of the parking lot. Shifting well takes talent and so does knowing what gear to be in what situation. Please dont kid yourself.
Stock for stock, there is hardly a difference in a race. There is just more to worry about. like i said its not worth getting a stick unless you have a whole lot of power. if its not 400HP no need for the stick get the auto.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sumlime311
Stock for stock, there is hardly a difference in a race. There is just more to worry about. like i said its not worth getting a stick unless you have a whole lot of power. if its not 400HP no need for the stick get the auto.
Hmmm ok. So you take ONE skilled driver and put him on a road course. Same amount of laps in a MT and then AT equipped car I guarentee he will turn better times in the MT car. Dropping 2 gears on your pretend manual (manumatic) will take much much longer than a manual shift. So while you wait for the power to come on the MT car will have already left. I am not talking about mindless stop light poseur racing. I am talking about REAL racing.

Now with the advancement of SMG or DSG type gearboxes a clutch pedal may soon become extinct. However, the AT in the G35 coupe/sedan is worlds away from gearboxes like that.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:49 PM
I just don't want to deal with clutch/transmission problems with the 6MT down the road. I know MOST of you will say 6MT, but I don't want to run into problems with it. So anyone here have a lot of problems with their 6MT
AT or MT is a matter of driving preference and style. MT's look cooler IMHO. However, I am not sure that the 6MT has trany problems. As far as I know, MT's are more reliable than At's and cost less to repair when there is a problem.

Are you more concerned about clutch burning at start out in steep hills or from improper down shifting?

Old 10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
If your wife or girlfriend (or both) cannot drive stick, you have your answer. They will never "have to" borrow your car! By the way, mine is a six speed manual and I wear a dress and a jock strap! Great combo.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:26 PM

hey, i was in the same situation as you were...i went with the 6mt and no regrets! if you want some more opinions (alot), check out the thread that i posted before regrads to if anyone regrets getting the 6mt.

either or, they are both nice!

https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion/65283-anyone-regret-getting-6mt.html

Old 10-22-2005, 03:53 PM

I got the 03 5AT first ... even though its a slushbox its pretty damn good, you can definatelly have fun with it. I almost never drove in the full auto mode though, even in traffic I was always in the manual mode. As I drove it more and more I wanted the manual though, so 2 months ago I switched to the 6 speed. I would say if you really enjoy driving you will be more happy with the 6MT. Also in comparison as I have driven both the 6MT definatelly pulls harder than the 03 AT I had ... there is no question about it. Those people saying its a drivers race are dreaming ... stock for stock the MT is faster period. So the only "driver" in "drivers race" is the skill of the MT driver ... anybody can floor an auto. Also if you go with the MT and get 05-06 model you will get the "REVUP" 298HP motor which has stronger internals and responds better to mods, so I have read on here.

my 2 cents.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Well, one of the main reasons I'm thinking 5AT at this time is because of the clutch problems I've had on my own 350Z in the past. And under the assumption that I believe it's the exact same 6MT transmission, I don't want to have the same problem all over again...just with a different car.

I test drove an 04 5AT today, and I didn't exactly like the lag you get when you stomp on it...waiting for the tranny to downshift. I'm not used to that, but then again...I don't get on my car hard very often.

I might be putting a deposit down on Monday, so I need to make up my mind quick.

I could always think of it this way, the 6MT will cost me $828 less. I plan on having the sport-tuned suspension package no matter which way I go.

A lot of 350Z owners have had their 6MT transmissions replaced under warranty, but no one on here with a 6MT G35 has?

Old 10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
I hate to double-post , but I wanted to show you guys what I'd be giving up for the G35.

Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?-350z_track_-10-15-2005-017.jpg

Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?-350z_track_-10-15-2005-018.jpg

Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?-350z_track_-10-15-2005-028.jpg

Old 10-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, that is a beautiful Z, which you have there.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just depends on personal preferences... Do you enjoy having more control over your car? Do you love rowing gears yourself and doing heel-and-toe shifting? I do, and that's why I chose 6MT. If you like being less annoyed in traffic, and don't wanna work your left leg, then go for 5AT. Otherwise, go with 6MT. I have never regretted choosing 6MT ever since I got it... in fact, I'm kicking myself for not choosing cars with MT before as this is only my second MT car. It's just so much more fun... I'm bored to death if I drive a AT car these days, as it just feels so awkward to rest my left leg and right arm.

BTW, my car currently has 31xxx miles and I have no tranny problems at all. I drive hard and always do heel-and-toe shifting even when I'm just going to get groceries... it's just second nature for me now. Anyway, if there ARE any problems, I bet it's been fixed over time as 06 is the 4th model year for G and Z now.

Last edited by Rookie84; 10-23-2005 at 01:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?