Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Need help with leasing ASAP. Buying tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasnt saying you save money by not putting FEES down, you reduce the risk of losing it when lease ends early, for whatever reason.

Why risk something with zero gain. You wanna put money down on a lease go ahead man.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What risk? whatever you like to call them, be downpaymet or fees up front, either you pay ahead of time or them will be add into your lease amount, if something happaned to the car? you will lose them either way, if you add them into your lease amount? you running the risk of being upside down(owe more than its worth) never mind that you have to pay interest on them and sale's tax too... if you had put 2k down, would you have owe at least 2k less as of now on your lease? or its same?....still dont see why put a down payment is such horrible idea on the lease.

example...If you lease a car at 35K, option 1, you put up 1500 to cover all the fees, so you "finance" 35K, or option 2, you put up nothing up front and fold all the fees into the lease, so you "finance" 36.5K...something happaned in third week of lease and the car is gone and insurance pays you 35K(the cost of the car), what you think happan if you took option 2?...YUP 1500 out of your pocket to cover the difference!

Last edited by limeg35; 12-02-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 AM
something happaned in third week of lease and the car is gone and insurance pays you 35K(the cost of the car)
What you just said doesnt happen.
When you sign the lease and get your auto insurance, the leasing company is added to your insurance policyas the actual owner of the car.
If the car is totalled, the insurance company pays Infiniti Financial. You get nothing because you never owned the car.

This is the main risk and the reason why everyone tells you to not put down money on the lease.

Of course there are other less detrimental ways for the lease to end early, either get into another Infiniti lease, or you can even transfer/trade the lease, which IFS allows.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 AM
What do you mean it doesnt happan? so insurance does actually pays you but again, do you think IFS or any financial company is going to keep the difference?...I've jsut sold an leased car two months ago, and traded one back in May, they both send the difference back to me...it works same as if you get a loan, dont they send the difference back to you? when you fold everything into the lease dont you think you owe more than some one who put some down? dont you have to pull money out of your pocket to cover it? or you dont have to paid any fees that isnt used?

Of course there are other less detrimental ways for the lease to end early, either get into another Infiniti lease, or you can even transfer/trade the lease, which IFS allows.
Yes, here we go, when you try to get rid of your lease, you think ppl will assume it with higher monthly payment than others? or when you try to trade it, dont dealer look at how much you "owe"? what happens then? put some money up? or fold them into next lease or loan?

Last edited by limeg35; 12-03-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Look, when you total your lease car, they cut a check to to infiniti, not to you. You can disagree all you want, doesnt change what happens.
Please stop making allusions and comparisons to loans, its not the same. As for whatever difference yer talking about, that should be covered by the gap insurance. Again, if you took about 5 minutes to check the g35 buying leasing forum on edmunds, you'll find the same information.

As far as selling your lease with a higher monthly payment, if you really want to pay the upfront fees for someone else to enjoy, be my guest.
Before i leased, i checked the popular lease trading sites and the prices listed were still higher than what my payments were, so i think i'll be ok if i ever needed to transfer my lease.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 PM
so they financial company is going to the keep the difference no matter if you owe 500 or 5000 less than the insurance company are paying for?...and I am the one is making allusions?...hahaha..ok...if you say so...and good luck with selling you car down the road if you do decide to do so.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:09 AM
you keep mixing up concepts from leasing and financing the car.

If you are leasing and you are in an accident where the car is totalled, you dont owe anything, to anyone. (Except your insurance deductible that is)

Selling my car? what car, i wont be selling the car because i dont own it. Again you seem to confuse leasing with any concept of ownership.
If i ever needed to TRANSFER the lease, like i said, im in good shape since my monthly payment is low, even with fees rolled in.

Look im not making this up, heres a direct quote from step 8 of edmunds guide to leasing.

Be especially sure to check the down payment (we recommend a zero down payment), the term of the loan (we recommend three years), the monthly payment and the annual mileage allowance.
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasin...5/page008.html

Old 12-04-2005, 10:55 AM
You mean to tell me that you CAN NOT sell the car if you leased?...hahaha... I dont know about anyone else but I have sold two cars that I leased recently(got out of it early)and have got money back form them cus I sold them more than I "owe"!, just because they "recommend" doesnt mean its bad thing, do they happend to mention as why? ohh wait...you told me already......OK fine I have got it all wrong and I have never leased car before and I have no idea how it works just be cause I have never read that site before...PPL please do not put any down payment on a lease...cause the finance company will keep them if something happens to it, no matter how much less you owe to them, eventhough you might think its bad idea still be paying first year's registration at 37th month into your lease and paying interest on them...

Oh last thing? does it specifics that what "no down payment" means? does mean no money toward the cap. reduction or no money out of pocket at all?

BTW...my apology to the thread starter...didnt mean to hi-jack your thread and trun into my own squabble...

Last edited by limeg35; 12-04-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:02 PM
you didnt sell your lease car, yo bought out the car from your lease company and resold it. If you want to do it fine, but something that is highly situational at best.

The Current residual value from IFS for the g35x is around 58-59percent at the end of the 3 yr lease term. I think we all know this figure is highly unrealistic, no one believes the car will be worth that much at the end. The finance company does this to reduce yer cap cost load, another way for them to subsidize the sale. This is great for lowering the payments, but bad for buying yer lease out. A lease with a realistic residual is great for buying the lease out, but will raise your monthly payment and your total cap, increasing the amount that will be subject to the interest(MF), an amount that is not trivial.

As far as paying interest on yer 50-200 reg fees at yer 37th month, werent you counting pennies earlier in the thread. At 2-5 percent interest, yer talking pennies a month at most.

Why do you care if edmunds is talking about cap cost or whatever up front, according to your logic, its best to pay alot of it upfront since you get that money back when you buy out the lease.

I guess if you planned to buy out the lease and the MF was high, than it makes sense to put up down payment money, but in either case, i dont think i would lease that car.

btw, i dont think we are "squabbling". You definitely have leased more than i have, so this is just an exchange of lease ideas, which i think is still germaine to the op. (if anyone else is still reading, lol)

Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 AM
you like to pick on the lil word that I've post but ingore the big pic...I didnt brought out my lease out first, I simply put a for sale sign on my leased car at two years into the four year term, when buyer write the check, I have them write the payable to my finance company, tell them to send the pink or lien to either the buyer or buyer's finance company and send any difference back to me..dont know about how you would put it, but I did say I sold the leased car... , the point was, there is an payoff amount wheather its an purchase or an lease...so if you had put a down payment it apply to the "payoff" amount, when something happened to the car? the insurance company paids certain amount, if that amount is greater than "payoff" amount, dont you think finance company will refund the difference? so the down payment doesnt just disppare like you have said...and base on that, you think put a down payment is a bad idea, right?

Of couse I care what experts are saying about it, because thats where you get the idea of puting a down is bad idea from, I have always have open mind. Read any of my post, I've never say one should put hugh down payment...If they feel comfortable? why not, there are no down side to it, unless they think it will disappare into thin air...but the down side of not put a down payment? you are paying interest on the fees, however small it might be...

btw, i dont think we are "squabbling". You definitely have leased more than i have, so this is just an exchange of lease ideas, which i think is still germaine to the op. (if anyone else is still reading, lol)
again...I've not said "WE", It was just me...We are providing our experience to other ppl, have them decide which one is better for them...

Last edited by limeg35; 12-06-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
didnt mean to pick on words, but the main difference i was pointing out was buying the car off the lease company.
Rarely have i heard that this is a good idea, if its worked out for you, great, but i dont think i will be basing future lease decisions on that criteria.
As such, ive never heard of getting any kind of money back from the lease company when the lease is terminated. If you indeed have sold the car for more than what IFS wanted for it, then i guess thats different, but again, i think thats a tough trick to pull off.
I have never heard of lease company actually refunding any type of difference, which is the key reason why ppl say to forgo the cap cost reductions. I honestly dont know how this applies to fees and taxes, but im assuming (yes i know about *** u mptions) that it applies the same way.

I didnt think the lease company sets a "pay off" amount since unlike a loan, theres no set amount you owe. I would assume that IFS will take a look at how much the car is worth currently and charge you what they determine would be a good price for them. I didnt think they looked at such factors like how much of the fees/taxes you have paid.

As for interest on the fees, when they are charging a lower or similar interest as what my savings account accrues, wheres the risk/reward? Why put down money which could be lost, to save the few cents a month?

Indeed this is a judgement call, if you were quoted a substantially higher MF than i think paying fees upfront might be a good idea. This is based on the lease company refunding you the difference in the fees if the lease ends early, which im still not sold on.

Last edited by kki000; 12-06-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I didnt think the lease company sets a "pay off" amount since unlike a loan, theres no set amount you owe. I would assume that IFS will take a look at how much the car is worth currently and charge you what they determine would be a good price for them. I didnt think they looked at such factors like how much of the fees/taxes you have paid.
Yes there is a "payoff" amount...call your leasing campnay(IFS?) and ask whats your payoff amount...lease actually work same as an loan, the biggest difference is how they calculate the monthly payment. Have someone to assume your lease isnt only way to get out of it, you can trade it in or sell it on your own, of course it isnt good idea to do it, no one goes into a lease thinking that they will get out early, but you never know what family or financial situations might change in the future.

As such, ive never heard of getting any kind of money back from the lease company when the lease is terminated. If you indeed have sold the car for more than what IFS wanted for it, then i guess thats different, but again, i think thats a tough trick to pull off.
Nonono, not when lease is already up, of course you wont get any money back then, but if you "had" to get out early for some reason, it just like a loan, in certain time, you might owe more than car is worth, you might have to pull soem money out of your pocket to make up the difference, of couse you might sold the car for more than you owe as well.

As for interest on the fees, when they are charging a lower or similar interest as what my savings account accrues, wheres the risk/reward? Why put down money which could be lost, to save the few cents a month?
Of course you are assuming its lost, but if, for just one sec, if it isnt lost, would you still think its bad idea to put a down on a lease?. Well, I would not excatly say its only few cents , 1.5k @2.71% or higher? not to mention that your monthly payment will be lowered too, again, that will up to each individual's mind-set and comfort level, to see which route is best for them.

Last edited by limeg35; 12-11-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:56 AM
There are so many posts but I just wanted to contribute the details of my own lease so I apologize in advance if I repeat what others have said. Judging from the original post, $4,000 down is horrifying. When I leased my G35x (fully loaded WITH navigation), I got it for 39 months, $2000 down (including TTL) and 18,000 miles per year for $499/month. I spoke with 3-4 other dealerships and they all wanted at least $100-$150/month more for the car so I'm guessing I got a fair deal on the lease. But beware of the dealership's hidden abilities.. they were trying to give me the lease for $499/month with 15,000 miles per year and then "If I came in by Saturday" they were able to bump it to 18,000 miles per year. It was my first new car and my first lease to boot and I've since learned quite a bit about the leasing process but I still think I made out pretty well. Remember to get a lot of lease quotes and look into the varying incentives each dealership offers. Also, look into the quality awards on Infiniti.com. When looking at dealerships, the only one in the tri-state are with such a high mark for quality and awards was Ramsey Infiniti and they were also the best to work with so I bought and have since had the car serviced by them once with no issue.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:20 AM
There are more variablies with the lease than a loan, such as the residuals and mileage allowance, it can play huge part in determine the monthly payment...think it is very dangerous to gauge the deals form what different dealers quoted you, you have to figure out for yourselfs what sale price of the car is equivalent to what payment is before hand, like for example if I was going to get a car at 35k? I would figure out what's my payment is going to be with all the fees and variabies factor in before I walk in to the dealershipp, unless the dealer happens to offer special leasing deal? those would be the number I go by, of course I wont tell them what that is.