Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Help out a prospective buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help out a prospective buyer

I am in the final stages of purchasing my ’06 G MT with the performance package. I have had my eye of this car for some time, and am excited about snagging it. But for some reason I feel I haven’t done enough due diligence on other potential alternatives (I haven’t even test driven anything else besides the 3 series). What else is out there that in the same class? The A4 doesn’t seem to stack up? Nor does the TL, IMHO. Is there anything out there I am not considering?

Also, what options on the G would you consider a must?

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Whatley
I am in the final stages of purchasing my ’06 G MT with the performance package. I have had my eye of this car for some time, and am excited about snagging it. But for some reason I feel I haven’t done enough due diligence on other potential alternatives (I haven’t even test driven anything else besides the 3 series). What else is out there that in the same class? The A4 doesn’t seem to stack up? Nor does the TL, IMHO. Is there anything out there I am not considering?

I test drove pretty much every performance sedan/coupe in the same price range. You may want to look at the IS350 or RX-8, but that all depends on which type of body style/transmission you want as well. In all I test drove 7 different cars before settling on the G, including the TL and A4 as well... i wanted to make sure i didn't leave any stones unturned.

As far as must have option, I love the Navi and Sirius radio I got on my coupe. And obviously, IMO, you should get the premium package.

Good luck, and look around at other models... better to be sure than to regret making up your mind too quickly later.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Whatley
If you have the money get everything, including Navi and XM radio. I'm happy I did. As far as the choice of the car goes, the only better rwd coupe would be M3. The only draw back to the G is that it's not the fastest. Evo, STI are fast but are lacking other things, I would look at subaru Legacy, and Volvo S60 R, since IS350 I believe did not come out with MT. I was set on RWD, and since M3 was too expensive, I got the next best thing. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Well the IS250 would be a good competitor for the G35, it's stylish and not slow, I like it! The IS350 comes in AWD but no manual transmission, so.... I think MT is a must.

RX-8.... what a joke.... BIG dissapointment from the RX-7

Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My must-have options? Simple. 6MT. I waited a good while to get a hardtop 6MT without the sunroof and all the added fluff. Essentially, I wanted the lightest and stiffest 6MT I could buy from Infiniti. Trunk Mat and splash guards are the only options I chose.

The car comes really well equiped in base form. It's up to you if the sunroof and Nav are options you want. The Bose radio gets more complaints than the base system. If yes on the sunroof, then you're required to get the Premium Pkg., leaving Rear-Active Steering, Nav and a Trunk Mat as your only remaining options, along with the spoiler. Spoiler is a matter of personal taste.

Depends on what's important to you.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by 2Evolved
Well the IS250 would be a good competitor for the G35, it's stylish and not slow, I like it! The IS350 comes in AWD but no manual transmission, so.... I think MT is a must.

RX-8.... what a joke.... BIG dissapointment from the RX-7
unless you have mispelled or made a typo:

the is250 does not even come close to the base g35 6mt sedan in terms of performance or occupancy space.....maybe an acura tsx...

206 hp from is250 6mt vs 298 hp from g35 6mt....yet the g35 can be had for the same price as an is250...

206 hp is250 awd vs 280 hp g35x(awd)...

making horsepower aftermarket-wise is pretty expensive...

The is350 does not come in awd either... don't mean to sound rude but where are you getting your info from anyhow?

the is20/350 has less rear passenger space than even a g35 coupe...the only advantage the IS250/350 has over the g35 coupe is headroom...

Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 AM
well I got mixed up here...

IS250 comes in AWD but not in manual trans

IS350 comes in RWD but not in manual trans

IS250 comes in RWD with auto or manual trans

I said the IS250 wasn't slow being nice , wasn't trying to say its faster than a G35, I just think it looks stylish and something people consider when buying cars such as the G35C or S

Old 02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I second what TheKnite says.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 AM
THE BATMOBILE
IS350 and 330ci Coupe............M3 and S4

Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
...As far as the choice of the car goes, the only better rwd coupe would be M3. The only draw back to the G is that it's not the fastest. Evo, STI are fast but are lacking other things..... I was set on RWD, and since M3 was too expensive, I got the next best thing. Good luck.
My thoughts EXACTLY.
The only other car for me would have been an M3, but not for that crazy price.
I drove Mazda RX-8, Lexus IS300, Acuras, BMWs (330), VW R32, looked at STI, EVO.
(didn't even look at even one American car like mustang, vette, etc)

Manual (6mt) was a must for me, RWD was also a high requirement.
The G35 Coupe, IMHO, is the best bang for the buck, including speed, handling, interior (leather), 4-seats (vs. 350z), etc. - I LOVE my Brembos.

Going in a completely different direction, I maybe should have bought an everyday beater, and then a Mazda Miata for racing, keeping the total price the same as for one G35. The Miata could have been modded for serious track/autoX fun.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
either that or I was thinkin of picking up a Mirage and put that in some serious track.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't know why I put "performance package" (not enough coffee), I meant premium. Looks like you guys have donw your homework and like the G the best.

Of course, I am sure this isn't a biased board.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:27 PM
if the is350 came available with 6spd manual (why can't it?...the is250 has it....stupid lexus marketing bozos....) i'd consider it second to the g35.

one major criteria for me was price.... i'd invest the extra 10k i did save into something more worthwhile, otherwise i'd would have gone with an M35 or even M45...

Old 02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
i think when you mentioned that the TL and the A4 didnt stack up ... it clear indication that you are looking at the G only from a performance prepective.

The TL and A4 was exquisit cars on the inside, their interiors are the best in the business, Infiniti is a laggard.
The TL gives us so many options its unbelivable when you realize that they are charging only $33K for a fully loaded car with nav, and that it comes with 260?? hp. Not very off from the G.
The A4 3.2 and the 3 might turn out to be pricey but thats what you gotta pay to own a german engineered car. And they really are different to drive as the japanese ones. Once hooked on german cars you will know what I mean and would ideally want to go back to them.

So if performance (hp) is your main motive which I believe it is, then the G coupe MT is unbeatable... but if you want a complete package and are willing to go down on hp.... then do consider test driving the TL and specially the A4... you wont be disappointed.