Canada Serving Canada.

Got my boots on, but no winter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got my boots on, but no winter...

I've had my winter tires and rims on for a couple weeks now, but there's no snow to test them out on. Not that I'm complaining, I just wanted to rub it in to our not so lucky neighbours to the west. It's a nice +6 today

I got the Hankook Icebears for a very good price, and decided instead of going for some cheap steelies, I would spend very little more and get some 17" alloys.

What do you guys think? I know they are cheap, but not bad for winter rims They are Advanti Racing rims.

Troy
(PS. Been fooling around with Photoshop, trying to learn how to use it, so my *limited* artistic side took over on a couple pics )

Attached Thumbnails Got my boots on, but no winter...-rims01.jpg   Got my boots on, but no winter...-rims02.jpg   Got my boots on, but no winter...-rims03.jpg  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Nice winter setup... & don't worry about snow
it will come.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that looks so nice, you don't want it to get all snowy and dirty.

Very nice bigG -- I'm sure you'll get a chance or 2 to test out the new winter setup....lol......

In the meantime, enjoy the semi decent g-weather and the clean car..

BTW, Winter Solstace isn't until December 22 this year, so there's a fair bit of snow to pass under the bridge yet.
Spring Solstace isn't far behind -- that's the one I love.....

Enjoy and be safe, and kudos for getting your snows on in time. --- Some haven't yet!

C.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I was a little nervous at first, but I've had good feedback!

I particularly wanted to get these ones because I am considering the same look, but better quality 20" rims for next summer and I think having these for a few months will help me make up my mind I have seen a lot of the American Gs with the all black theme and I am slowly getting drawn to it!

And Colin, if you could please hold the snow off until the 22nd, I'd appreciate it! In fact, I'll take ya out for a beer! haha

Troy

Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by BigG
Thanks for the comments guys, I was a little nervous at first, but I've had good feedback!

I particularly wanted to get these ones because I am considering the same look, but better quality 20" rims for next summer and I think having these for a few months will help me make up my mind I have seen a lot of the American Gs with the all black theme and I am slowly getting drawn to it!

And Colin, if you could please hold the snow off until the 22nd, I'd appreciate it! In fact, I'll take ya out for a beer! haha

Troy
LOL, Troy, I'm sure we'll get the chance for a beer and a chat sometime anyway, but I'm amazed at what powers you think I have with the weather.

Actually I do make wishes regularly about the weather......perhaps it's doing some good.......

We have, in lucky years, been blessed with not getting much snow or cold until January!.........and then gotten an early spring......

I'm doing my part.....let's everyone think positively.........+++++++++++

and hope for the best.

I'm predicting and early spring.....our first meet will be early April in sunny warm skies.....
Pick a place and who's coming?

C.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Troy, looks good. Much better than steelies.

Good luck with the weather. We've had two dumps this week. 19 cm and 10 cm. Fortunately it's all gone with some warmer temps last few days.

Deane

Old 12-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks RBull! I agree, Steel Rims are last years fashion, LOL

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...s/CAON0696.htm

^ If that really stick, I will be very pleased....however I will know for sure there is something wrong with weather patterns.

Troy

Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Hey Troy-----how's this for a 2 week GTA forecast?
Could be a whole lot worse ---- let's hope it comes true....

C.

Attached Thumbnails Got my boots on, but no winter...-mini-weather.jpg  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Troy those rims look great on your G.

If you want to try them out I was still hitting drifts across the road yesterday when I was playin in our new G. I even came upon one guy who just rolled his car when he hit some heavy drifts in the turn. Thank goodness he was ok. Another friend rolled his beater yesterday. He had the tow truck come and it was towed to a house nearby. He had to add a couple liters of oil and some transmission fluid and he drove back home (about 200kms) in it later on yesterday . I talked to him on the phone today, and he said it was fine, just a few bruises.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
That is a great lookin' winter setup Troy! My last winter setup for my G had steelies and after seeing winter setups like yours, I doubt I will get steelies again.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Where did you get those rims? How much?

I got my silver steelies on now which is in my 3rd winter. Wouldn't mind a new look maybe next year.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Colin - As much as I'd like to see it happen, it simply does not seem normal to me...I don't know what to make of it.

Gee35X - Thank you for the compliment! Yikes, that's quite a story, but it goes to show the beauty of beaters! Imagine rolling the G and trying to drive that back...

Garnet Canuck - Thanks buddy! As I stated before, considering the small overall increase in price for my package, getting alloys was a no brainer. Not to mention that with alloy rims, there is a much greater opportunity for selling them if you so desire. With that in mind, you could even end up making a buck or two

Troy

Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by lg777
Where did you get those rims? How much?

I got my silver steelies on now which is in my 3rd winter. Wouldn't mind a new look maybe next year.
I got them from Tire Craft/Mega Wheelz (http://www.megawheelz.com) in Mississauga. They were $140each. I got a pretty good deal on them, I think. This place is the cheapest I was able to find anywhere! Talk to Wayne and tell him the guy with the G35 and black rims sent ya He told me to send him customers, so I guess I'm keeping my promise, lol.

Troy

Old 12-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I got them from Tire Craft/Mega Wheelz (http://www.megawheelz.com) in Mississauga. They were $140each. I got a pretty good deal on them, I think. This place is the cheapest I was able to find anywhere! Talk to Wayne and tell him the guy with the G35 and black rims sent ya He told me to send him customers, so I guess I'm keeping my promise, lol.

Troy
Wow, those are fantastic looking wheels for $140 ea!!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM
BMC
I got the Hankook Icebears for a very good price, and decided instead of going for some cheap steelies, I would spend very little more and get some 17" alloys.

What do you guys think? I know they are cheap, but not bad for winter rims They are Advanti Racing rims.

Troy
(PS. Been fooling around with Photoshop, trying to learn how to use it, so my *limited* artistic side took over on a couple pics )
Nice winter wheels Troy. They look good with your car. One of my buddies runs steelies on his A4 Avant during the winter - he and I jokingly refer to his car as the "rally car".

As for the Photoshop skills, practice makes perfect. There are also a lot of tutorials out there to help you get up to speed. Google's Picasa software is also really good for running effects on your pics without having to learn about using the various filter functions in PS. With Picasa it's easy to make some point and shoot pics look like they were taken using an SLR camera (i.e. focused subject, blurred/softened background).

Happy winter driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my boots on, but no winter...