Canada Serving Canada.

Fast and easy performance boosters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast and easy performance boosters?

Ok - I'm sure this question has been asked before but trudging through 40 pages of old threads was a daunting task.

I have a 2006 G35 M6 Coupe with sport package. I traded in my IS300 to get it. Problem is, the IS actually seemed faster! I need to know some quick and dirty upgrades to get a little more performance out of this car. I'm not into dropping 1000's on a new exaust system for a new car but there must be 2 or 3 quick fixes to add a little here and there - what are the best choices?

Thanks!

OS

Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
High performance driver training. Improve the lump behind the steering wheel...cheapest mod ever.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Balzz
High performance driver training. Improve the lump behind the steering wheel...cheapest mod ever.
You beat me to it

Old 01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL. Works for me.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
You beat me to it
BMW Club dates for '07 have been announced!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
race gas

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by filanj
race gas
= 0 gain

Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RBull
= 0 gain
well it depends....

Motor Trend: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?
Rockett Brand: The answer is maybe. If your car pings/detonates, you will benefit from a higher octane. In some cases, even when detonation is not present, higher octane fuel can improve power because of its special fuel chemistry that promotes improved combustion efficiency. Improved combustion efficiency means that more of the gasoline is being burned in the combustion chamber thus making more horsepower; less is being burned/expelled in the exhaust.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...gh_octane_fuel

Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd love some rac gas in my car, well...if it was tuned for it of course. But I agree, driver training. I think if I don't go this year Deane will slap me.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by filanj
race gas in a stock G= 0 gain. They don't ping.

Last edited by RBull; 01-12-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by picus112
I'd love some rac gas in my car, well...if it was tuned for it of course. But I agree, driver training. I think if I don't go this year Deane will slap me.
I only started last year Kevin- only two schools. It was educational and a lot of fun. It's just such a hassle here to get to the track. You have to drive about 5 k on gravel/mud roads. I think Balzz will be the guy to slap you. He's closer to you and he's the serious track guy around here.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm gonna figure out a way to tow Kevin and Ian's bimmers to Mosport with or without their knowledge.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm gonna figure out a way to tow Kevin and Ian's bimmers to Mosport with or without their knowledge.
Buy Marta's Titan .

Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJOS2
Ok - I'm sure this question has been asked before but trudging through 40 pages of old threads was a daunting task.

I have a 2006 G35 M6 Coupe with sport package. I traded in my IS300 to get it. Problem is, the IS actually seemed faster! I need to know some quick and dirty upgrades to get a little more performance out of this car. I'm not into dropping 1000's on a new exaust system for a new car but there must be 2 or 3 quick fixes to add a little here and there - what are the best choices?

Thanks!

OS
Z-tube...
Plenum Spacer....
G35driver stickers....extra 15hp they say
ECU reflash, after mods done....

An IS300 with a slush box faster than a 06' MT coupe? No way!!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJOS2

Thanks!

OS
DJOS2,
I would expect that the IS300 would be a little quicker if it were modded, but without, the coupe should out perform it...

Your search for "Fast and easy performance boosters? " is a popular one but a very difficult one that most of us can attest to. -- Short of Forced Induction. -- which would have a serious effect on your manufacturer's warranty.

These VQ engines come very well tuned right out of the box, and finding more hp and especially torque is like finding hens teeth.....

You've got the normal avenues of increased power by headers, exhaust, intake, which should net you a modest increase in power. -- these VQ's are nothing like other engines that one can extract 10's of ponies from with just one mod.

Another good source of very modest power is synthetic oils, tho should be avoided in any Nissan Automatic tranny-- from the factory, Nissan says that the highest quality of sythetic tranny oil (Nissan Type J) is used and must not be deviated from.

Another source of free power is weight saving (as you've already heard. )
Include any excess weight in the car, not just the driver..

If you've got no mods now, a baseline dyno would be a good start, and give you an idication of successes down the road.
If you get a dyno, get recommendations of a reputable shop that can give you relyable numbers - otherwise the #'s would be worthless.

If you have any success other than what's been tried and talked about here, let us know-- as you may have gathered already,,,, our credo here is "more power" is always good. (and of course the cheaper the better.

G/L

Colin.

Last edited by Msedanman; 01-12-2007 at 02:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fast and easy performance boosters?