Canada Serving Canada.

Hello Guys! - from a new G35 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
thanks for all the info guys...

it is $29,500 BEFORE tax and I still have to pay e-cert (CAD$995) and some Gov admin fee which is i think (CAD $295).. however, i traded-in my 02 Civic for $7218 .. (there was a major accident on my Civic 4 years ago which cost $4500 to fix)..... i too think that this car's got some mileage on it. but then there is still about 10 months warranty left.. i thought that i should prolly give it a try..

as for the brakes.... how do i know if it needs to be replaced.. the sales guy told me that as long as the car passes the e-cert.. i can keep using my brakes for at least another half a year if i dont go crazy on my car.... is that true or he is just makin' some crap up so he can sell it to me...???

and excuse for my lack of knowledge here.... what is TLC canucklehead mentioned earlier..

last question. .i thought the standard factory warranty is 4 years /100000km whichever comes first... why did canucklehead say i am now on my own since my car is over 60000km???.....
TLC= tender loving care

Standard Infiniti warranties for 04 G35 from brochure
-4 year/100,000km new vehicle warranty
-4 year roadside assistance program
-6 year/110,000km powertrain warranty
-7 year corrosion perforation warranty

Old 04-25-2007 | 09:14 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
^+1

Reliable information.

Good luck with the car Smart.

Old 04-25-2007 | 09:27 AM
|
thanks for the info, GEE35X..

Am I correct to assume that brake pads replacement is not covered in the
factory warranty??

can anybody give me an idea how much will i be looking at to replaec the brake pads??

It is a standard non-brembo brake....

Old 04-25-2007 | 10:46 AM
i mentioned the 60K brake warranty because infiniti enacted a "goodwill warranty" of 36mo/60K that covered the complete braking system (pads, rotors etc...). they did this as a result of outcry from G owners who felt that replacing brake parts after 15-20K was unacceptable.

the warranty periods that Gee35X mentions are correct, this additional warranty was only for '03-'04 model years.

you are correct to assume brake parts will not be covered if you vehicle is over 3yrs/60K mileage.

if you buy your parts online and get the work done at a shop other than the dealer, i would expect to pay $700-$800 or so for all 4.

the best way for you to assess the current brake condition would be, during your pre-purchase inspection, have the mechanic pay particular attention to how much pad is remaining and how much rotor thickness is remaining. listening to the schmo at the dealer probably isn't the best idea.

one thing that concerns me is you said the dealer told you to expect 6mo out of the current brakes if you take it easy on the car. 6mo is not long, so he may know more about the brake wear condition then he is telling you directly...

i believe factory pads have 10mm on them when new. i'm not sure of the thickness of a new rotor.

but hey, don't let brake wear alter your decision to buy the car. every car has its weaknesses. the G is a beautiful car to drive, as you'll soon find out. what you need to do is use this weakness as bargaining leverage...

Last edited by canucklehead; 04-25-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2007 | 11:39 AM
|
thanks for your valuable information canucklehead,

i have copied your post and saved it in my PC for future reference..

i have already signed the deal with the dealer last Saturday....should've come up to this forum earlier i guess... :32

One question though.. now that the used car dealer is doing whats called an "e-cert" for my car.. (they said its a standard procedure thats required by the government to make sure the vehicle has met all the safety tests).... what do i expect from this e-cert test? will there be a report indicating the remaining percentage in my brake pads and rotors??? .. .. as you can prolly tell this is the first time i am buying a used vehicle......really have no idea what should i be looking for. .

Old 04-25-2007 | 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure e-Cert is emissions testing to make sure your car passes stadards for pollution.

Just bought a used 2004 TB sedan w/nav and shopped around but bought too quickly. On hindsight I should have really gone over the car with microscope and given more consideration to buying from a Infinit dealer. The prices are higher but you can rely on post purchase customer service. Lurking on this forum would have definitely helped. Love my G she just needs a bit of TLC to get her right.

One thing that happened to mine was a slight seal leak on my windshield which turned out to be an non OEM install and not covered under warranty.
Thankfully not too expensive to fix with a lifetime warranty on the work but still disappointing. Stuff like that is not covered in a CarFax and quite often not reported on dealer records like mine

Definitely check your tires as these cars/owners eat tires and if money is tight, you definitely don't want to be dropping over a grand on new rubber in a year. Also budget for winter rims and tires.

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by canucklehead
i mentioned the 60K brake warranty because infiniti enacted a "goodwill warranty" of 36mo/60K that covered the complete braking system (pads, rotors etc...). they did this as a result of outcry from G owners who felt that replacing brake parts after 15-20K was unacceptable.

the warranty periods that Gee35X mentions are correct, this additional warranty was only for '03-'04 model years.

you are correct to assume brake parts will not be covered if you vehicle is over 3yrs/60K mileage.

if you buy your parts online and get the work done at a shop other than the dealer, i would expect to pay $700-$800 or so for all 4.

the best way for you to assess the current brake condition would be, during your pre-purchase inspection, have the mechanic pay particular attention to how much pad is remaining and how much rotor thickness is remaining. listening to the schmo at the dealer probably isn't the best idea.

one thing that concerns me is you said the dealer told you to expect 6mo out of the current brakes if you take it easy on the car. 6mo is not long, so he may know more about the brake wear condition then he is telling you directly...

i believe factory pads have 10mm on them when new. i'm not sure of the thickness of a new rotor.

but hey, don't let brake wear alter your decision to buy the car. every car has its weaknesses. the G is a beautiful car to drive, as you'll soon find out. what you need to do is use this weakness as bargaining leverage...

Are u telling me that the brake pads and rotors on my 06 Coupe may have to be replaced every 15-20 kms?

Old 04-26-2007 | 04:00 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by AznTriniBwoy
Are u telling me that the brake pads and rotors on my 06 Coupe may have to be replaced every 15-20 kms?
No, you have different brakes than the '03/'04 brakes which were covered for 60k by infiniti.

Old 04-26-2007 | 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
No, you have different brakes than the '03/'04 brakes which were covered for 60k by infiniti.

HAHAHAH ok....
I was like...tires are about 15-20 kms already....