Canada Serving Canada.

engine ping w/ premium fuels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
engine ping w/ premium fuels

I always use premium gas in my G, although not always from the same distributor.

I have noticed engine ping at low revs (up to 3k) using Petro Canada 91. Today I heard the same sound with a tank of Shell 91.

Interestingly, I have not had this same issue running Chevron 92. I doubted that one extra octane point could account for this, maybe it does though.

Has anyone else experienced knocking while running premium fuel? Could this indicate engine problems?

I have the 6MT sedan w/ a Z tube, KN, otherwise stock, if that makes any difference...

Last edited by canucklehead; 05-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
It is possible you got some bad gas (yes at two places) it has happened to me.

Also it may be time to check your plugs and run some BG K44 fuel cleaner.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
What's your milage?
has the MAF ever been cleaned? (possible over oiled K&N)

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
What's your milage?
has the MAF ever been cleaned? (possible over oiled K&N)

my mileage is decent, i guess. i typically get a little over 500kms/tank (~65L) in the city which is about 2 weeks of driving. how does this compare? i know it's not great.

good question about cleaning the MAF, although the KN has only been on for 5000kms...i'll have a look at it.

i had thought of the "bad gas" possibility, but this is over an extended period of time.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^that's better fuel economy than I get in mixed driving.

I think he was asking about how many miles or kms are on your car. If it's a lot you may have some carbon deposits which raise your compression and may aid with pre ignition. You might want to check into a fuel injector cleaning.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^that's better fuel economy than I get in mixed driving.

I think he was asking about how many miles or kms are on your car. If it's a lot you may have some carbon deposits which raise your compression and may aid with pre ignition. You might want to check into a fuel injector cleaning.
^WHS

Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
^+1

How many miles on the car?

The idea about the MAS is a good one too.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 AM
gotcha. the car has 48000kms, regular services, always premium fuel, mild fuel injector additives @ each oil change.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a '05 6MT sedan and have pinging since new. Most noticeable at low RPM when moving from a stop, up shifting gears and when hard on the accelerator at highway speed. Took it back to the dealer once about the problem and was advise to use premium fuel. I've tried premium fuel from all the major gasoline retailer but the problem still persist. With the warmer weather last week it seems to be worse. What I noticed is when the car is driven after the car have cooled down considerably (overnight), there seems to be no sign of pinging until the car warms up. The current mileage on the car is 27,000 Km, Z-Tube but no K&N filter. At this mileage I don't believe any MAF cleaning, plug change or fuel treatment is required. Currently I only use Sunoco 94 and it still pings. I plan to take the car back to the dealer but this time I'll be more insisitent on getting Infiniti to resolve the pinging problem.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^+1 exactly as you stated, except i have an 05 coupe.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Engine pinging on VQ35DE

Originally Posted by jeffy1
I have a '05 6MT sedan and have pinging since new. Most noticeable at low RPM when moving from a stop, up shifting gears and when hard on the accelerator at highway speed. Took it back to the dealer once about the problem and was advise to use premium fuel. I've tried premium fuel from all the major gasoline retailer but the problem still persist. With the warmer weather last week it seems to be worse. What I noticed is when the car is driven after the car have cooled down considerably (overnight), there seems to be no sign of pinging until the car warms up. The current mileage on the car is 27,000 Km, Z-Tube but no K&N filter. At this mileage I don't believe any MAF cleaning, plug change or fuel treatment is required. Currently I only use Sunoco 94 and it still pings. I plan to take the car back to the dealer but this time I'll be more insisitent on getting Infiniti to resolve the pinging problem.
The slight pinging that you hear is normal. Check your owner's manual under"fuel recommendation" and it will tell you that some light spark knock while accelerating or driving uphill is normal and this is where you get the greatest fuel benefit.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 AM
VQ35 engine ping

The slight pinging that you hear is normal. Check your owner's manual under"fuel recommendation" and it will tell you that some light spark knock while accelerating or driving uphill is normal and this is where you get the greatest fuel benefit.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't have any problems with pinging on my car. i'm just over 36k.

usually, if your driving at a steady speed and you hear pinging from the engine with the recommended octane level.. than u've got some sort of a problem.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ same here.

Under light loads or steady speed any pinging at all indicates a problem. IMHO these engines should not ping at all under any driving conditions using 91 octane, even though the manual states otherwise. Every manufacturer makes the same statement just to cta.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
No such problem here, either, even occasionally running 89. I can set the cruise and it will pull up a moderate hill in 5th at 2500 rpm without any pinging. 5AT, though, if that makes any difference.

Maybe a total noob suggestion, and inTgr8r and RBull please chime back in, but would an ECU reset help? Almost sounds like a computer/timing issue. OP's car should NEVER ping with 94, should it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: engine ping w/ premium fuels