Canada Serving Canada.

strong dollar.. buy from the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA G35 Sport 6MT imported Nov 23rd

I had no isssue at all in purchasing and importing a new G35 Sport 6MT. Neither would I have run into anything else with the G37. I simply opted for the G35. The car was bought in Albany, New York. I have heard absolutely nothing to suggest that Infiniti USA is asking/instructing their dealerships to sell to Canadians. I found quite the opposite to be true. Any information that I needed from Infiniti USA was easy to come by, and any Infiniti dealer that I spoke to in New York state was willing to sell.

Infiniti's position on the warranty issue should be the model that all auto manufacturers in North America follow - honour your warranties on both sides of the border. Infiniti's position to allow for market conditions and economics to enhance trade is again, one that the others might want to learn from. For every hurdle that is put up, there always seems to be a way AROUND it.

Thanks to the blinders on some of Infiniti's competition, I am very happy to have found a way around their hurdles. I am now a proud Infiniti G35 owner - not Lexus, not Acura, .... Most likely, a repeat owner as well!!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by eye eye
I had no isssue at all in purchasing and importing a new G35 Sport 6MT. Neither would I have run into anything else with the G37. I simply opted for the G35. The car was bought in Albany, New York. I have heard absolutely nothing to suggest that Infiniti USA is asking/instructing their dealerships to sell to Canadians. I found quite the opposite to be true. Any information that I needed from Infiniti USA was easy to come by, and any Infiniti dealer that I spoke to in New York state was willing to sell.

Infiniti's position on the warranty issue should be the model that all auto manufacturers in North America follow - honour your warranties on both sides of the border. Infiniti's position to allow for market conditions and economics to enhance trade is again, one that the others might want to learn from. For every hurdle that is put up, there always seems to be a way AROUND it.

Thanks to the blinders on some of Infiniti's competition, I am very happy to have found a way around their hurdles. I am now a proud Infiniti G35 owner - not Lexus, not Acura, .... Most likely, a repeat owner as well!!
What was your all in price?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad everything worked out. i find it funny that infiniti's warranty on a new vehicle brought from the u.s. is valid but a nissan is not ! so there's definitely some sort of numbers game going on with all these cars.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Shafty
What was your all in price?
You will find this under the G35 Sedan Forums (general page)

Details are as follows:

(2008) Platinum on Graphite

G35 Sport 6MT ....$32400.00
Premium Pack. ......$2500.00
Splash (4) .............$150.00
Cargo Net ...............$60.00
Trunk Mat .............$100.00
Dest./Hand. ...........$715.00

MSRP ................$35925.00

Purchase price out the door $34500.00

Te full picture, after importing, looks like this:

After exchange, the G35 out the door was $32000.00 CDN (no state taxes payable). After migrating across the border and paying the RIV fee, excise tax, import duty (6.1%), gst, pst, emmissions, and taking care of the daytime running light issue, another $7500.00 is tacked on. Total spent for this G35 is $39500.00 CDN.
In comparison, the Canadian details are as folllows:

Vehicle ..............$46490.00
Spash (4) ..............$180.00
Dest./Hand. .........$1650.00

MSRP .................$48320.00
With Taxes .........$55199.00

Bear in mind that this figure is full list price, and does not price in the cost for administration as it is offset by the cost of driving down and back to Ontario (with new G). Based on your negotiating, the Canadian purchase will be either lower than, equal to, or more than $55199.00 when you drive it off the lot.

You be the judge.

Now that I have completed the process, the end figure is $39300.00 (ALL DONE).:bowdown:

Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I spoke with Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura. I won't go further as I have not considered domestics. Infiniti is the best situation - fully covered - no nonsense! Nissan and Toyota/Lexus were next wherein they would honour their warranties but the auto must be titled in the USA. It meant that I would have to purchase a used vehicle, or use my relatives in the USA to purchase the vehicle new, title it, and then sell it to me as "used". Obviously, not the optimal situation, but at least there was a way to do it (at an increased cost - state tax where applicable, dmv fees, safety required in Canada, - just a few extra hurdles).

Then there is Honda/Acura who are out to lunch with their policy (warranty not covered), which hopefully will change via actions launched through courts.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Eye eye,

How did you take care of the DRLs? Did you install a DRL module from Canadian Tire? More info would be much appreciated.

I am considering importing a G35x in the new year from Oregon. I have been quoted 37,000 for a G35x w/ Premium, no Nav from Beaverton Infiniti.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I had the DRL module taken care of in Buffalo at D&R Automotive. There service was almost instantaneous (with appointment), work was excellent, and price was fair ($145.00 USD, taxes included). I used them because the local Infiniti dealer in Buffalo sends this work to them as well. I just returned from having my car inspected at Canadian Tire (2 minutes in total). It was an easy pass, and it has just been registered/plated for Ontario.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I had the DRL module taken care of in Buffalo at D&R Automotive. There service was almost instantaneous (with appointment), work was excellent, and price was fair ($145.00 USD, taxes included). I used them because the local Infiniti dealer in Buffalo sends this work to them as well. I just returned from having my car inspected at Canadian Tire (2 minutes in total). It was an easy pass, and it has just been registered/plated for Ontario.
Congratz... nice work saving some coin
If I was in the market now, I'd definitely be looking south.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You will find this under the G35 Sedan Forums (general page)

Details are as follows:

(2008) Platinum on Graphite

G35 Sport 6MT ....$32400.00
Premium Pack. ......$2500.00
Splash (4) .............$150.00
Cargo Net ...............$60.00
Trunk Mat .............$100.00
Dest./Hand. ...........$715.00

MSRP ................$35925.00

Purchase price out the door $34500.00

Te full picture, after importing, looks like this:

After exchange, the G35 out the door was $32000.00 CDN (no state taxes payable). After migrating across the border and paying the RIV fee, excise tax, import duty (6.1%), gst, pst, emmissions, and taking care of the daytime running light issue, another $7500.00 is tacked on. Total spent for this G35 is $39500.00 CDN.
In comparison, the Canadian details are as folllows:

Vehicle ..............$46490.00
Spash (4) ..............$180.00
Dest./Hand. .........$1650.00

MSRP .................$48320.00
With Taxes .........$55199.00

Bear in mind that this figure is full list price, and does not price in the cost for administration as it is offset by the cost of driving down and back to Ontario (with new G). Based on your negotiating, the Canadian purchase will be either lower than, equal to, or more than $55199.00 when you drive it off the lot.

You be the judge.

Now that I have completed the process, the end figure is $39300.00 (ALL DONE).:bowdown:
Impressive. Good job. It's a no brainer.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 AM
No More Infiniti G35/37s..BMW 335i is the choice today.

Hey Guys,

This thread has not been touched on in months it seems..anyhow at one time I leased an 03 G35c and got it right when it first came out..maybe first 20 cars in the city at the time..beautiful car and all speaking of that generation but when the NEW G37c was launched what a dissappointment..the BMW335i hands down was the big time winner from that point on both in looks & performance etc. so today I just signed and leased an 08 jet black 335i coupe w/ premium, sports w/ shift paddles, & premium sound 20K 3 yrs at their incredible 3.9% rate for ONLY $870 per month taxes in. What u guys think of this? Pretty good eh? Don't even bother buying from the US..u might save couple of thousand but thats about it max & not worth the headache..Car delivery February unfortunataly.. Any tips or comments would be appreciated?

I did not get the ACTIVE STEERING option what exactly is this? Is it that important?

If lease rate drops further I will be entitled to it until my delivery..

Infiniti is great value no doubt & of course technologically always little more advanced..but styling this time around I sure was not too happy with..way too conservative as if they are targeting much olrder crowd..not only that still performed very poorly in DYNO test even with an engine thats 30 HP more.. no wonder BMW won ENgine of the yr. that Twin Turbo engine just cant be beat..

Old 12-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
posted on E90 forum.....
the guy who posted about BMS imports seems weird that there are all these extra fees... that I have never read or heard of, I am assuming is created by BMW.

To those who recently imported:

The speedometer is miles first then km right?

Someone mentioned odometer remains at miles.. eye eye what about yours? or were you the same person who posted about the problem? First I heard of this was from an Infiniti dealer near Niagra area.

This DRL thing, was exactly does this involve, someone mentioned a relay, care to elaborate? I seriously do not want some Canadian tire people touching my car more than I want to, come to think of it i might just bring it to one of those smaller places so i can be there watching them..........

so far I am at 35,200+ for 35x with prem and 35,400+ for prem with wood. But seems there are better deals to be had, because people have been posting 35K+ with prem AND Nav....so I am definitely speaking to the 2 dealers i am in contact with tommorow.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto
Hey Guys,

Don't even bother buying from the US..u might save couple of thousand but thats about it max & not worth the headache..
Congrats on the BMW. Nice choice.

10,000+ is certainly more than a couple thousand and I'm sure those who have already saved the money feel any headaches were worth it. As for leasing... it's not for everybody. I prefer to own my vehicles.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto
Hey Guys,
.... Don't even bother buying from the US..u might save couple of thousand but thats about it max & not worth the headache....
Congratz on the new ride

If leasing, there may not be much saved because it's based on the difference between residual and sell values.

Buying, however is a completely different scenario.
Just ask Picus about the Mini he just imported.
IIRC on a car that was $32k here, he saved over $10k

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^yeah, on purchases the difference is huge on many makes and models.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Wait a couple more weeks...the dollar is going to go down even more, most likely.

-Sean