Canada Serving Canada.

Broken Windshield washer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Windshield washer?

Well this might seem a bit sad, but ever since I purchased my vehicle, I thought the windshield washer on my car operated properly (just assumed Infiniti had a really bad system in comparision to BMW and Honda), but until last night I realised that my system is faulty . To give you a summary of what my car currently does is this:

Press in the wiper clicker **** thing to activate the wiper pass and a spray of windshield washer fluid. When I press it in, I can hear the pump, but no fluid comes out until after 7 seconds; and only from my right windshield wiper and it is very, very, weak stream that comes out. The other one sprays nothing.

Ok so after reading what other members did, most suggested the hood was pinching the tube; hence the weak pressure. So I popped open my hood and checked to see if this was the case; unless I am looking at the wrong place, this is not the case. I am not sure what exact parts to flush out so was hoping someone could help me out here. The pump is working, but if it is clogged any advice on how to unclogg it? The weird thing is I get a weak dribble from only my right windshield wiper, not my left. Well hope you guys can help me out here .

Sorry for large images, no time to resize, will do when I get home.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Perhaps the nozzle itself is clogged and needs to be cleaned/reamed with something like a needle. Or is it possible your fluid is summer stuff given your car is from Florida.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
maybe the fluid froze?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the responses but when I bought the car (in summer), I thought there was no windshield washer fluid in the car so I topped it off with -40C Antifreeze Windshield washer fluid (second nature in Winnipeg). I didn't realise there was an issue until I found someone else here with the same issue. They removed the trim(?) and found the hose was being crimped, I am not sure exactly what he is referring to though. From what I can observe, none of my wires are being crimped.

I will try cleaning it with a needle, and hopefully that will fix it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you removed the trim to check?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by 35bills
Have you removed the trim to check?
I was looking to see what trim to remove, all I can think is this thing I circled here:

I tried removing it, but not quite sure how too. I am too used to my Hondas...

I followed the wire, but the poster who posted had a sedan so I kind of got a bit confused. The cables i followed went on the driverside, under firewall, and then to the blades. I could see the wires plainly for the most part, but can you please help me with what trim I am going to remove here?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rain-X FTW.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Tjhe cowl is in two pieces. Remove the weather seal first.

There are several pop-clips that will have to be removed as well. They are easy. Just pop up the centre portion of the clip and then lift/pry with a flat screw driver and their out.

You will have it easier to trace the lines.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Tjhe cowl is in two pieces. Remove the weather seal first.

There are several pop-clips that will have to be removed as well. They are easy. Just pop up the centre portion of the clip and then lift/pry with a flat screw driver and their out.

You will have it easier to trace the lines.
Thank you! Finally step by step instructions I can understand for a moron like me, haha.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:20 PM

^^Ok so I popped out all the plastic clips now the only thing holding the trim are these last two screws. Should I go ahead and remove the, or am I doing this wrong ? Just making sure. One on the left side, under the wiper (philips head), and a center one (bolt). I already removed the battery cover.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I believe that you will need to remove screw with the phillips head only.
Its not really neccesary to take everything completely off.

I haven't done this for a while. If the centre bolt is causing a problem, remove it too.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I believe that you will need to remove screw with the phillips head only.
Its not really neccesary to take everything completely off.

I haven't done this for a while. If the centre bolt is causing a problem, remove it too.
Went to Nissan, said it is a broken washer pump, will cost $140 to replace, part is $40.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Went to Nissan, said it is a broken washer pump, will cost $140 to replace, part is $40.
My luck.... Same issue today . It was working fine all this week (weather was normal) but today; I can hear the motor but no windshield washer coming out. I drove the car for an hour after topping off the fluid hoping it was just frozen (-40C rated) but nothing.

Is this a common problem or is this somehow linked to another issue (maybe weather linked)? I think I will just replace the motor myself this time but it will suck to do it right now or every winter.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
My luck.... Same issue today . It was working fine all this week (weather was normal) but today; I can hear the motor but no windshield washer coming out. I drove the car for an hour after topping off the fluid hoping it was just frozen (-40C rated) but nothing.

Is this a common problem or is this somehow linked to another issue (maybe weather linked)? I think I will just replace the motor myself this time but it will suck to do it right now or every winter.
If you hear the motor, check to see if there is fluid coming out from under the car. I had the same problem and it happened to be a plastic nipple that had broken off. Mine was located right behind the battery, so if you remove the battery cover, you'll be able to see it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
does anybody know what part number the nozzle is??? i dunno how mine fell off..anybody know if that is covered under warrenty???? sorry OP for going OT