Canada Serving Canada.

Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trunk won't open

My trunk will not open with my remote and my key fob. I checked to see that the switch is on in the glove compartment box. I know that some people have the wiring harness in the trunk replaced.

My question is,
1) are there any fuses for the trunk or is it for sure the harness?
2) how much do you think it would cost to fix that, because I am no longer under warranty.
3) do I need to get it replaced at the dealer?

It is annoying not being able to put stuff in the trunk.

Thanks,

Chewy

P.S. I have done the searches with regards to this problem and it all seems to lead to the harness.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
there is a fuse for the trunk but i think it protects other circuits as well. to replace the harness i paid 125 at the dealer, then the second time i did it myself for next to nothing.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Is it a simple replacement for the harness? What is involved?

Do you know where that fuse is located? Is it beside the dead pedal or is it behind the battery?

Thanks,

Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if you are experiencing the same thing I did, but with my 6MT, if I try to shut off the car before a complete stop, I can't open my trunk. I have to turn the car on and shut it off again.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
No it is not the same, my trunk just won't open. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off. There is no clicking sound when you press the trunk switch on the fob or the trunk release switch inside the car.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe your key fob is broken?

Have you taken it apart and cleaned the inside with electrical contact cleaner or alcohol?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chewy
My trunk will not open with my remote and my key fob. I checked to see that the switch is on in the glove compartment box. I know that some people have the wiring harness in the trunk replaced.

My question is,
1) are there any fuses for the trunk or is it for sure the harness?
2) how much do you think it would cost to fix that, because I am no longer under warranty.
3) do I need to get it replaced at the dealer
It is annoying not being able to put stuff in the trunk.
Thanks
Chewy
May be an obvious question, but have you tried the manual release beside the intensity wheel?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
The fob works unlocking the doors, but the trunk won't open. Even with the interior switch it won't open at all.

Manual release? From outside the car? Where is it?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
On my coupe it's the middle switch in a series of three, just to the left of the VDC off switch and to the right of the dash intensity wheel. It has a triangle pointing down.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 PM
theres only a manual release inside the car, inside the trunk on the trunk lid(manual cable release, not the electronic switch by the stearing wheel). I dont know where the fuse is, but if everything else works okay its probably not the fuse.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by burns420
theres only a manual release inside the car, inside the trunk on the trunk lid(manual cable release, not the electronic switch by the stearing wheel). I dont know where the fuse is, but if everything else works okay its probably not the fuse.
Right you are, I should have said Alternate release.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My car regularly won't open the trunk on the first try after shutting it off. It always works after turning the key back on though.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has happened to my G about 4 or 5 times! Now that I'm out of warranty, I'm waiting for it to happen again! The last time, I had the trunk open, and the wire shorted out when I had it in reverse. Made the car inoperable, and I had to have it towed into the dealership. I was without my car for almost a week!

It's likely the wire bundle that enters the trunk lid. Personally I believe that it's a design flaw since flexure stress gets put on the bundle due to the angle that the wires run.

You'll have to pull back the rubber sleeve, and splice or replace the wire that's broken.

Make sure that you call Infiniti Canada to log a complaint and let them know you're aware of many others that this has happened to. Maybe they'll do it under an extended warranty for you (and maybe the rest of us).

Old 12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I hope this helps...
According to my owner's manual:
Sedan
You can also access the release handle through the trunk pass-through (read seat armrest).
To open the trunk lid from the rear seat, pull the release handle towards the front of the vehicle until the lock releases.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:39 PM
The interior trunk release switch also does not work. I did get the rear seat to come down so I can get my stuff out. I will make sure I call infiniti Canada and log a complaint about this design flaw.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chewy

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have the coupe so there is not trunk pass through. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trunk won't open