Our retirement property

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

I love that location Deane!!!
You and H are going to have a great time planning it.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
NP Deane, I deleted my post since it is fixed now. You and H have a real beautiful location there. You know how I love the water

Thank you again.

Yes I know and you and water. I'm not a water person at all but still am excited and definitely becoming a tiny bit educated on it. I've been on the yacht club web sites, watching the tidal charts etc!

I'm definitely keen on tapping your knowledge and feedback on how to enjoy the water!

This village has quite a history. It dates back to early 1700's and was originally a French settlement until Acadians were driven out of the Province in 1755 by the British, and the village destroyed. They resettled it with 100 Protestants brought from Lunenburg who came for the cheap land offering. It was a major boat building center, many of which went to England with lumber and were sold over there. It was also the transshipment point for goods to Fortress Lousibourg, had a railway running through it and an important creamery for years. The train station inn was restored in the '80s and they continue to add cars which are set up as motel rooms and one as a dining car.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
I love that location Deane!!!
You and H are going to have a great time planning it.
Thanks Ian. It helps to keep me plowing forward.

We're so looking forward to getting there and having some house guests!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Good day for dreaming, still in the -20s here.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Rated M

^I hear ya. We're not there unless you count wind chill but after 2:10 outside running today it sure felt like it. I let me mind wander with finer things while running and couldn't help finding that picture to post!

G/L with seeing a warming trend.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
The cold and snow got me dreaming again....Just had to post another picture of the village nearby the property and part of the Bay we're located on. The vertically located road on the right side is the one we will live on. Property is about 6km down Sand Point Road on the right.
I can see why you'd be dreaming again today, Deane...The location looks great.......

Colin.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Msedanman
I can see why you'd be dreaming again today, Deane...The location looks great.......

Colin.
haha, it's only Dec 20 and the winter blahs have already hit!

Thanks Colin.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Rated M

Okay, here's one of the train station inn I mentioned.

Attached Thumbnails Our retirement property-029.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Ian. It helps to keep me plowing forward.

We're so looking forward to getting there and having some house guests!
^ count on it!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Started me day dreaming as well Deane. Since you're gonna design it from scratch ... are you going to do stuff to make it enviro friendly (geothremal etc.?)

Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Okay, here's one of the train station inn I mentioned.
Very cool, I have some H-O scale cars that look just like that. You can't eat dinner in them, though.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by whatacar
Started me day dreaming as well Deane. Since you're gonna design it from scratch ... are you going to do stuff to make it enviro friendly (geothremal etc.?)
Interesting you ask that Sam. Yes, it will definitely be designed and built that way. I have done considerable research to date on various heating and power options. While geothermal is a possibility it's doubtful since the costs and pay back aren't favorable at this time. We will likely have an air to air 2 stage heat pump with a Steffes Electric Thermal Storage http://www.steffes.com/offpeak/
which will qualify for time of use billing and a minimum R2000 building standard. (we now have an R2000 home with an air to air heat pump and it's very economical with benefit of air conditioning too so we are already in the enviro friendly mode) I have not had an exact heat loss calculation by an engineer but done rule of thumb calculations and given the southern exposure our heat cost should be about $700 or less per year (today's rates) on the design I've done. I've also looked at photovoltaic options, thermal hot water options and even a wind turbine. The turbine is out for both noise and cost/payback reasons but the jury is still out on the others. We will be on a well and the idea is to be as self sufficient as we can.

Now I need to make enough money to make this happen.

Last edited by RBull; 12-21-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I hear you, it usually takes $ to save $. I'll let you do the work and then I can just pick your brain if need be. GL with all of it.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Rated M

^Thanks. As I've said it's still a while into the future but I'm a little extreme with planning some things I enjoy.

The geothermal route is much more expensive outlay (although the Steffes heat pump w/combo forced air radiant heat isn't cheap) and there have been some problems too on local installs. The ground pipes system are easily prone to kinking/failure if not done very carefully and are extremely costly to locate/repair if required. I really like the idea of the time of use - power rates at 1/2 for much of the time and that's not expected to ever change.

I'm going to take a solar shelter course this spring which covers a lot of areas including solar basics, site and shelter design etc. That will help my knowledge base and stimulate a few more ideas.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^ count on it!!!
Right on. Road trip...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Our retirement property