Canada Serving Canada.

Gas tank problem with a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:06 PM
|
Gas tank problem with a twist

Hey guys, it looks like I've got the problem with my gas tank not filling up. It started 2 fill ups ago when the pump clicked off, I topped it off but the gauge only shows 3/4 full. I'm also only getting 360 K's to a tank instead of 480 K like I did earlier. The strange part is that the gas is filling right to the top. I tried to squeeze some in to fill it, but it started splashing out. Have any fellow Canucks got this fixed after their warranty was up?

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
reduced milage could just be the crappy winter weather.

The usual problem is not being able to fill all the way.
With yours it sounds more like a sender issue.

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:23 PM
I have the same problem, but sometimes it clicks when its not even to the top but when it is sometimesit dont click, but thats common for most G's i think, now i just estimate how much i fill up, but i've never had it overflow before

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:51 PM
|
That's what I thought was strange. The tank is clearly full after refueling, but the gauge only goes to the 3/4 line. I don't think my poor mileage is the weather either. I reset my trip at every fill, and I was 480 K until the last two. I'd like to get it fixed, but I don't want to spend a lot just to get another $10-15 in my tank.

Old 02-03-2009 | 06:38 PM
well my guage is fine, it shows accurate amount gas it has, it sometimes just dont click but i normally dont wait for a click anyways =D

Old 02-03-2009 | 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wayner9
Hey guys, it looks like I've got the problem with my gas tank not filling up. It started 2 fill ups ago when the pump clicked off, I topped it off but the gauge only shows 3/4 full. I'm also only getting 360 K's to a tank instead of 480 K like I did earlier. The strange part is that the gas is filling right to the top. I tried to squeeze some in to fill it, but it started splashing out. Have any fellow Canucks got this fixed after their warranty was up?
Same problem, mine does NOT fill all the way, but won't take any more.

Old 02-03-2009 | 11:12 PM
Mine also does this. Fills to about 55-60L, shows about 7/8full, gets me 240miles

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:06 AM
Check the recalls, about filler hose

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:04 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
That's what I thought was strange. The tank is clearly full after refueling, but the gauge only goes to the 3/4 line. I don't think my poor mileage is the weather either. I reset my trip at every fill, and I was 480 K until the last two. I'd like to get it fixed, but I don't want to spend a lot just to get another $10-15 in my tank.
I had the same issue with my '03 Coupe and seems to be related to the fuel level sensor in the tank as Ian says.

Apparantly it's caused by some of our gasolines, that damages this sensor and ultimately necessitates its replacement.

On my Coupe it was an intermittent problem that came and went. Others say that changing fuel brand will cure the issue.

In any case, the level indicated by the gauge is not accurate: A gauge that says only 3/4 fuel should read full, therefore the same gauge that reads 'E' should read 1/4 full..

If you're out of warranty, you'll have to fork out for a new sensor or try to sweet-talk the dealer into a free replacement since it's a know issue and has been for some years now.

G/L
Colin.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by Msedanman
In any case, the level indicated by the gauge is not accurate: A gauge that says only 3/4 fuel should read full, therefore the same gauge that reads 'E' should read 1/4 full.
I understand what your saying here, but I don't think I have a quarter tank when I'm at E. I've monitored my mileage, and my last two tanks dropped from 480 K, down to 340 K. I'll keep my eye on it and decide whether it's worth the money to get it fixed. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
I understand what your saying here, but I don't think I have a quarter tank when I'm at E. I've monitored my mileage, and my last two tanks dropped from 480 K, down to 340 K. I'll keep my eye on it and decide whether it's worth the money to get it fixed. Thanks for all the replies.
still trying to follow this....
The strange part is that the gas is filling right to the top. I tried to squeeze some in to fill it, but it started splashing out.
Are you saying it IS full to the top, or only appears to be full to the top?

It could be a vapour lock, giving the appearance of full at the pump.
That would seem more like a filler/breather tube issue.

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:22 PM
I've had the same problem the last few times I've filled up. When I fill up, though, it's only putting about 14 gallons in so obviously I could either get used to driving on E for a bit or get it fixed.
However, the only recall I'm coming up with is this:

"Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE FUEL FILLER HOSE MAY CRACK AND RESULT IN FUEL LEAKAGE FROM THE HOSE WHILE REFUELING. "

Anyone have a link to exact recall you're mentioning here?

Edit: I called the Infiniti help line dealing with recalls and was told that my car already had the filler hose recall done back in 2006. Hmm..

Last edited by sTony; 02-04-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2009 | 05:21 PM
|
Originally Posted by InTgr8r

Are you saying it IS full to the top, or only appears to be full to the top?
It is full to the top. The last two times I tried slowly filling it up, but it started splashing out. The most it will take is 50 litres, and that's after the light was on for 10-15 miles. I'm stumped.

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:26 PM
I had some problems like this until I switched to Shell gas. Shell doesn't put any ethanol in their premium gas and it might also contain fewer other additives as well.

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:22 PM
found this using the search function..

Usually the problem that the OP is asking about is dirty sending units which can be temporarily cleaned using Techron additive, and running Chevron w/techron gas. This problem plagues many different kinds of cars... specially the vettes.

So I picked up a bottle of techron for $8 (free after mail-in rebate from autozone) and plan to throw it in there when my tank gets low again. I'll let ya know how it works out.

sTony

Edit: referring to above poster.. I'm a shell fanatic. It's either shell or BP in my car, nothing else. Now I know which one to cut out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas tank problem with a twist