Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some one used the SEARCH button! Amazing how well it works!

I forgot I started the thread.

Anyways the issue went away in the spring. As far as we could tell it was from buildup of dirt and salt from the winter roads. It was completely unrelated to the undercoating as the smell began before it was done on my vehicle.

Has it snowed/or has the vehicle driven on salt/dirty roads???

Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm a new '06 G35x owner and found this thread after searching for this burning plastic/rubber type smell. I purchased the car just before winter and there was no odor until winter arrived, but I don't see how the smell can be attributed burning salt, because I've never smelled this in any other car I've owned. I mean, wouldn't this be a normal winter smell for every car if that was the case? Why would it be so prevalent in a G35?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah I have the exact same thing happen every winter, especially after a long drive on the highway and I stop after coming off the highway. Everyone in the car notices the smell but unless someone can make a tool that can pinpoint where a smell is coming from I doubt we will figure it out. Frig lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Chalk one up for the burning rubber smell.
I was a car/bike tech for 15 years so I know what burning rubber smells like.

Was driving home tonight from Utica NY and ran into a nice snow storm.
When I reached Albany on I87 going North the roads got quite slushy and slow going so I engaged snow mode.

As things cleared up I forgot I had snow mode enabled and drove about 15 miles to my home. I noticed the smell but thought it was the clunker in front of me but when I pulled in my garage it was strong as ever. I opened the hood but it looks like the smell is coming from the center of the car more toward the back by the firewall.

I drive this car hard in the rain all the time and NEVER smelled this so it has something to do with snow mode being enabled and driving at highway speeds.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting topic, I have infact noticed this smell on my G just before I stored it for the winter(Beginning of Dec), I am not sure where or what it is coming from. It's not a heavy odur but some times it is just enough that I notice it, like some sort of burning. Now a couple of weeks before I put her away I clipped a chewed up curb making a right turn into a parking lot at night in the rain, and since then I have noticed a little bit of a smell so I am wondering if that maybe the cause. I didn't do any visible damage to the car other then a slight scratch along the edge of the rim and tire on the right front, so I am wondering if I should get an alignment or if it's a tire issue she's not pulling at all but the smell almost seems to be coming from that side.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Hard to say... the amount of money and time I spent in the shop trying to figure the problem out was retarded. The only difference in winter and summer driving is the fact that theres salt on the roads... one dealership said they had this problem on a could on FXs in the winter too so... Not sure.

Anyone check to see if the 350 guys who drive in the winter have the same problem?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2003 Coupe MT also has the smell, it only seems to occur is in the winter time when the snow is melting.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I get the exact same smell and have been wondering for some time what it is. It is a clutch like smell (not electrical) and i only get it if the HVAC is on. If the AC is on, the smell goes away (probably because the air recirculates from inside).

It comes consistently for me in winter only in stop and go traffic. It also occurs after coming down to city speeds from prolonged highway driving. If i have to parallel park, the smell is there as well. I have no idea what it is.
Could salt really be the issue. In Edmonton, they don't use much salt, mostly sand, so could that really be the answer?

I plan on taking it to the dealer, but am sure they will say it's normal. I have had many people comment when the smell comes on.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
my 04 x has the same problem and it's getting to the point were I'm going to start taking stuff apart because the smell gets bad but only in winter. It would be nice if someone had a cure or solution

Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I don't know of any solution. Salt gets on the exhaust and it smells. Not sure why it doesn't smell on other cars. Anybody with an aftermarket exhaust complained of this? I didn't run my stainless steel Stillen exhaust in the winter, so I can't comment on that.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Just came across this thread. I have an 04 x and have noticed the same kind of smell for the past month or so, but intermittently. I didn't have the smell in previous years. The car was at the dealer this week for other work and I mentioned the smell. They checked it over, said it was just fluids and muck that was burning off, but nothing was leaking and nothing to worry about.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
So a quick update. I decided to wash my engine bay out last week. Spent a good 5 minutes washing it out after using a degreaser. I dot know if there was salt or fluid build up or what, but the smell has completely resolved. It was happening on a daily basis and now doesn't happen at all. This of course after making an appointment to have it checked out!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
The salt thing the only thing I can think off is the flex pipe for the exhaust it's the pipe that comes off the manifolds if the salt is in there that could be the burning smell