I caved... and ordered the PC from Eshine.ca

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
yaaaayo, lemme no when ure done with it ahahah im borrrowing it

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good investment! everyone should own one. well mabye not everyone. i use mine for waxing all the vehicles and the occasional scratch and swirl removal on my car and my bike

Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a write up I just did over on RFD on how to polish, hopefully it helps somewhat (you can also bug Picus, aka the detailing guru on here):

I tried to break up the sections to help you guys specifically to your area. I include a list of materials for each section to make it a bit easier too. I will later update to make it easier for people just hoping to do one thing or another. Hope this helps someone out .

Writeup: How to perform a full paint correction - July 25, 2009

1- A Basic Detail (includes washing technique, tar removal, and claying
2 - Power Polishing

A Basic Detail:
1 - Washing your vehicle

Materials:
- A Garden Hose (preferably one with a nozzle) for outdoor wash
- Two wash buckets (preferably one with a grit guard)
- 2 Sheepskin wash mitts
- 1-2 Microfiber Wash mitt or grout sponges
- Car Wash (I will be doing an ONR wash for this demonstration)
- 1 Large Waffle Weave Drying Towel (or equivalent MF towel)
- 3-4 Microfiber Towels
Tire Shine
Chemical Guys wheel well spray
Plastic trim restorer
Plastic trim protectant

Washing the vehicle is a pretty fundamental key to maintaining your vehicle. Most marring and swirling is induced during this period so it is probably to your benefit to do this step properly to save you grief later on. I will be doing an ONR wash which is different than washing with a regular car wash shampoo in this DIY. I will briefly cover on that area too.

Before you begin, it is a good idea to gauge what you are dealing with. Here is an examination of the vehicle before any washing is done. I use 2X250W work halogen lamps to examine my area (will discuss further in the polishing stage). The sun works quite well too:

First thing to do for an ONR wash is to fill once bucket with warm water (I usually do 2 gallons). The other bucket I fill with either 1-2 gallons of water, depending on the ONR concentration. Generally I do 2 ounces of ONR to 2 gallon of water. I bump this to 4 ounces of ONR to 2 gallon of water when I am going to be rewaxing the vehicle or polishing. I let my wash mitt soak up in the ONR (remember to remove any tags!).

The MF wash mitt in there, is what I generally use on the lower body panels. ONR does seem to make sheepskin mitts extremely dirty, so I would say if you have enough MF washmitts, this might be a better idea. After this, I put 4-5 ounces of ONR to one gallon of water in a spray bottle as a QD. I prespray all body panels with this mixture. If you have access to a garden hose with a possible fertilizer sprayer (obviously not used for the prior purpose), put cheap carwash in it and spray the entire vehicle with it. With the latter, make sure you get into the wheel wells and clean them out properly. If you have access to a jack, jack up the vehicle and get the whole under body panel

Next is to determine your wash area, generally you want to divide the vehicle into 3 areas. The top panels, bottom panels, and the wheels/tire area. You might need another section depending on your vehicle size. For my vehicle the selection for the wash is as follows in the EXACT order:

Sheepskin mitt - Roof, Top pillars, front windshield, side windows, rear window, side mirror covers, hood, trunk lid, headlamps/taillamps (Area 1)
Microfiber Wash mitt - Upper portion of doors, front fenders, rear fenders, lower portion of doors, trunk
Grout Sponge/Microfiber Wash mitt - rear bumper, front bumper, rocker panels
2-3 MF towels - wheels and tire

For an ONR wash, I dunk my mitt in the ONR solution, wipe off excess and apply sparingly to the panel, generally moving in one direction (if marring does occur it will only be in one dirction) while applying light pressure. If the dirt/crap is still on there, try using your sprayer to break it down, if no luck, dunk your washmitt in clean water and then into your ONR solution again and do another pass. Repeat for each panel in the order determined by yourself with the wash media OR mine as described above. If you are doing this in a garage, you can usually dry off ONR after completly washing the vehicle. I am in my case, so here are some pics of that:

IF YOU ARE CLAYING, READ THE BELOW, OTHERWISE SKIP this section
How to Clay

Materials:
Clay
Clay lube (I use ONR at QD ratio)
Since I am doing this in the garage, I am able to keep ONR on the entire vehicle without having to worry about it spotting. Since the surface is already lubricated, I also use this time to clay and dry the vehicle at one time.

I break my clay bar to a workable size, usually to the size of 3-4 of my fingers (as i spread it usually allows me to use a good chunk of hand). I also break it down as if you drop the clay (it will happen), you will need to throw it out. Throwing out 1/5 of the bar won't be so bad as a whole bar. This is how mine looks before I work:

I usually prespray the area with QD if needed (not so much when the vehicle still has ONR on it from the ONR wash), and then move my claybar horizontally along the curves. After 2-3 passes, I will stop to examine the claybar. If it is noticably pickung up particles (you will see this), you will need to rekneed it to embed such particles deeper into the claybar. After this, you can continue on to complete the whole vehicle. You can clay on almost any surface and it should leave a noticably smoother finish to the vehicle. Claying also removes any LSP so it is dual purpose.

Once completed, move on to drying the vehicle.

If you are doing this outside, you will need to wipe off each panel after washing it.

For drying, I spray a small amount of QD on the body panel and on my WWT to minimize any water spotting. I then lay my WWT on the panel, patting it down, and then picking it up to minimize marring. If not possible, I will lightly pull the towel in one direction. If you notice any water spotting, spray ONR QD on it, and wipe with the WWT.

Once you are done drying your vehicle, it should look something like this:

If you live in an area where it considerably road construction (i.e. Canada), it will be necessary to follow up with tar removal.

Tar Removal
Equipment:
Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
2-3 MF towels

Usually I notice significant tar on the front bumper, rocker panels, lower portion of door, and under the rear bumper. Tar removal is not overtly difficult. I usually try to wax it first with concentrated ONR, but if not, I move to a dedicated tar remover product. I usually will presoak the area needed for tar removal with Turtle wax for 2-3 minutes. Application really needs no direction, stand back a couple inches from tar, spray, and wait. Here is how it looks with the tar remover seeped in after a bit:

After 2-3 minutes, I will use a MF towel with a medium nap (the cheapos from eshine work great), and wipe directly on the tar. If the tar is still present, I will repeat the process. If it is still present, I usually leave it for the clay.

Since the tar removal product leaves a "wax" finish, we need to remove this, regardless if tar is still present or not. Following the prior directions, clay the area. Carefully once the clay bar is over the tar, lift the clay bar up, QD the area, and wipe. Rekneed the clay and repeat. If tar is still present and you are not power polishing or using a cleaner product later on, continue reattempting with TW Tar remover and clay. For people power polishing or using a wax cleaner, we should be able to remove this tar later on using those products.

After this, we should hopefully have the tar off and it should look something like from this:

to this:

After tar removal, we can proceed to cleaning the wheels (we will dicuss this later on), power polishing (skip this section if you will not be performing), and applying the LSP (wax, sealant, glaze, etc.).

Read next post for power polishing.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Continued
Power Polishing - July 27

Equipment:
-Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Polisher or similar (Ultimate Detailing Machine will be used for this detail)
-Menzerna Intensive Polish or similar (Poor Boys SSR 2.5)
-Menzerna Nano Polish or similar (Poor Boys SSR 1.0)
-4-5 All purpose Microfiber towels
-2-3 Buffing Towels
-Isopropyl alcohol at 1:1 concentration with water (ISA)
-2X250W Halogen lampstand (more is better) and 1 portable halogen lamp (trouble light)
- Lake Country 6.5 inch Orange Pad (3-4) or Purple Foamed Wool
- Lake Country 6.5 inch White Pad
- Lake Country 4 inch orange pad (5-6) or Purple Foamed Wool
- Lake Country 3.5 inch Backing plate

Power Polishing is possibly on the areas where most individuals seem to be afraid of embarking on. However,when done properly, polishing is a very easy task (although time consuming depending on polisher). A minimum I would recommend for actually clear coat correction (removing swirling) would be a Porter Cable 7424 (PC), any cheaper solutions simply will not be suffice for most clear coat correction. Other good entry level polishers are the Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM, this used to be available with a stronger motor but has since become a rebranded PC with a better warranty), and Flex Tool XC 3401 VR Polisher (makes most swirl removal a chore, very powerful but still uses a random orbital pattern, if cash is no concern, this is the one to go with). Rotary polishers are not recommended for newbies to polishing due to the possibility of burning the clear is greatly enhances since the polishing pattern is not random orbital. They perform a better job and allow for a more precise polishing job but greatly increase the risk compared to a PC. For this writeup, I will be using the UDM with the prior generation upgraded motor.

Before you begin polishing, it is essential you assess the condition of your paint. This is best done after washing, claying, and tar removal to better gauge the amount of marring present on your paint.

What is marring and what are you going to do by polishing? Marring is scratches still present within or on the clearcoat induced by external factors: ranging from washing techniques, weather conditions, area conditions, etc. Power polishing WILL NOT remove scratches which are past the clearcoat: ways to tell if they are is if your fingernail catches on the scratch. Visually you can also see if your basecoat is visible (black, grey, etc.). To recap DO NOT POLISH an area if the following conditions apply:

1. Your vehicle paint is older than 15 years old and is severely marred (more below)
2. Visually you can see clearcoat peeling
3. Visually you can see basecoat appearing through the color coat
4. Scratch is past the clearcoat (i.e. fingernail test or one of the above)

^If any of the above are present, consult a professional detailer who has a paint gauge meter to determine if there is enough clearcoat remaining prior to polish. If you fail to do that, you run the possibility of stripping your clear coat and going into your basecoat. A very, very expensive repair (new paint job).

In your visual inspection you should also gauge the extent of present marring. Something like this would indicate heavy marring:

Something like this would indicate medium/light marring:

To conduct your visual inspection, it is probably best to do it with a halogen work lamp. These usually are very high powered and make spotting marring on dark cars very easy. On lighter colors it becomes a bit more tricky, ranging from using flurescent lighting to tungsten lighting at different angles. You will need to experiment a bit to find the best solution for you.

For my write up, the vehicle was deemed medium in marring. With this in tow, I conducted a test panel [test panel - a typical body panel on the vehicle you will conduct with different levels of pad/polish/speed (N/A on a RO polisher)/pressure to gauge how correction will occur on the rest of the vehicle] to determine the best route for the correction. In almost all instances, you want to start with the least aggressive measure. From my quick inspection, I knew a white pad (read other posts) would not have the cut necessary for the removal. A 6.5 inch orange pad would be the minimum requirement. The next question was if I could use a lighter polish such as Micro Polish. On my test panel, it was determined the marring was too severe for micro polish. Intensive Polish was the next route of action and seemed to correct much of the marring on 1-2 passes. 1-2 passes was also sufficient for me on the 6.5 inch LC orange pad. If it was taking more passes, I would have worked down to a a lower profile pad.

Well I guess before you can use your test panel, you need to know how to polish . Read the below, and do the test panel as mentioned above and apply that to the rest of the vehicle:

With your cutting pad (Purple Foamed Wool, Yellow, Orange, or White) apply polish in either an X, 5 dots (one in the center and 4 surrounding it), or a nickel size amount on the middle of the pad. I prefer the first two as the latter tends to lead to polish dropping before it goes on the vehicle. Here is my pad and my UDM:

Here is the amount of polish on the pad:

With that done, you want to divide your vehicle into panels, in a roughly 2X2 area. You want to ensure you have enough polish to perform the correction and don't destroy your pad but not too much polish that you saturate your pad with polish and perform an adequate correction. With that done, you want to slap (don't literally slap it) the pad on the corners of the work area (I apply it roughly in a 3X3 formation). Here is how it looks:

After the polish on the vehicle, you want to smear the polish over the area WITH THE POLISHER OFF. It should look like something like this:

There might be areas you missed, try getting them covered in polish. If not, we will do it in the next step. With your polisher on the lowest speed (1-2), spread the polish evenly over the area. Once the polish is evenly spread, turn off the polisher with it flat against your vehicle paint (otherwise will lead to polish splatter). Later on you will not need to stop, but for a newbie, it might be nice to view that you have the area covered. I don't have a picture but it should look more or less like the above but with no visible blotches of polish.

Continued below... :arrowd:

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Continued...
Next it to put the polisher flat against the paint and kick it up to speed 5-6. 6 is pretty much a gurantee on a PC due to the lack of power. From your test panel you should have gauged how much pressure to apply for the correction (i.e. try with applying 20-30lb of force during the polish and if no correction is visible after 1-2 passes, increase your pressure on the polisher in 20-30lb increments). For heavy marring, bog it down to the point the pad is almost not moving and let off until it does begin to spin freely) and how slow your pass is (for heavy marring, a couple cm per second might be required, for lighter marring it can be sped up). From that, start from East to West and overlap the existing pass by 50% when you reach the end of your polishing area in one direction. Once you reach the last corner of the work area, begin going the other direction. For most compound polishes, you continue to do this until your polish "flashes". For some it begins to dust or for others it begins to go clear. For Menzerna IP, it shows some dusting but visibly it begins to go clear. With this DIY, I was able to do a lighter cut polish follow up with IP by just reducing my pressure and my passes before the polish flashed. This would remove any marring induced by the compound. If you are new to polishing, it is best to just wait till the polish flashes and follow up seperately.

It should appear something like this when the polish is flashed (actually not really except for the top, part since I don't have a better picture):

When it has "flashed" it is time to remove the polish. Some polishes have silicone and other oils which hide marring. This kinda goes against the purpose of polishing (Menzerna I believe doesn't have such issue). We want to remove this and the polishing dust to assess if a subsequent pass will be required or if it sufficient. To remove it, take your ISA mixture and spray the area. Wipe off with a cheap MF towel and little to no pressure(one that is meant for this task, not your regular every use MF towel). Spray ISA again, and wipe with a buffing towel with slightly more authority. I do this to minimize overworking my buffing towel and to minimize marring from using the cheap MF towel exclusively for removing the residue. With the polish off the area, you might notice some light hazing/marring if you are using a heavy compound on a darker color. That is alright, a lighter cut polish will be required. For this vehicle, I lightened the pressure before it flashed allowing me to remove such marring if any from occuring. For a light color it is also not very noticable or necessary. If you notice much of the marring still present, you will need to do another pass. You can try slowing your pass down, applying more pressure, kicking up the speed, or going to lower cut pad on your next panel if you needed to follow up with a 2nd pass on the other panel. Much of these things can be determined on your test panel
before actual polishing is done. Here is my panel before and after:

:arrowu: area on left unpolished, area on right polished.

IF you need to follow up with a lighter cut polish, follow the above steps but with a lighter cut pad (orange only if using a PC, white is recommended), quicker passes, and less pressure. Your only task with the lighter cut polish is to remove marring induced by your heavier polish. Follow the above for the rest of the vehicle.

In regards to taping your vehicle trim, it is going to depend on your vehicle trim. If you notice it becomes discolored from polish (try a small area unseen), make sure you cover it. If not, you do not need to. Taping up helps with clean up, but I find I always need to wash the vehicle afterwards to remove most of the residue (being careful on rewashing to minimize adding existing marring, I do an ONR wash with new washmitt and patting down with the MF towel). I use painter's tape (3M) but any should work. If residue from paint exist, spray it with ISA afterwards. If you are not going to wash your vehicle, you should ensure you do a very good ISA wipedown of the entire vehicle before moving on to the LSP. That can be found below

:arrowd:

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Sorry, in retrospect I should have just linked it to my post on RFD . Didn't mean to kill a whole page in your thread, lol.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Great write up and pics Asad, very helpful

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Haha thanks. Definitely only bought it after the Detailing meet with Kevin!

As for you moochers, you can RENT it off me seeing as the kit ran me $350 you cheap b**t***s!!!!! hahahaha

Last edited by Shawn87; 07-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
PC and 105/205 arrived this morning

Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

^ I'm always surprised at how quickly they fill orders & ship.

...definitely one of the fastest I've dealt with

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Awesome, Shawn, it's a lot of work but it's also fun and the results are very gratifying.

Asad - thanks for the writeup!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet - let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn87
Haha thanks. Definitely only bought it after the Detailing meet with Kevin!

As for you moochers, you can RENT it off me seeing as the kit ran me $350 you cheap b**t***s!!!!! hahahaha
ill take that as a "no problem, anytimee"

Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Haha

Wow Kevin, I dunno how you do this EVERY day, I am dead after 6 hours and Im still not done yet

I noticed that half my hood kinda hazed slightly so tomorrow i have to redo it, then finish the rear, and the wax and seal it. Wow the difference is incredible tho! You know how bad my paint was lol. Definitely a good investment, now Im afraid to drive her!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
When you say "kind of hazed"; which part of the process are you on, the first or second compounding step? If so that is completely normal, it is micromarring from the larger abrasives (they leave very small micro scratches behind, and it appears as a haze), you clean it up by using a less aggressive pad/polish (as I am sure you know), and just experimenting really until you find a process from step 1-> finishing polish that works.

What process are you using, anyway? 105/orange then 205/white? You'll probably need to finish with 205/black, and you *may* need a 105/white step in between somewhere. It's a lot of work getting it right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I caved... and ordered the PC from Eshine.ca