Canada Serving Canada.

N/A Engine mod enquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question N/A Engine mod enquiry

Hey guys once again I come to seek the knowledge and insperation of my canadian brothers. Now this is a question for a possible future mod that I am currenly concidering, granted this wont be for a couple of years given the scope and financial strain that I will obviously incur. Now I have just been doing a little research on the matter and would like to know what you guys think and possible alternatives(baring any type of FI).

What I have been considering is changing the engine displacement from 3.5L to a 4.0+L by boring out the cylinders and possibly aquiring a stocker kit to complement this or just one of the two. Now I know there are a lot of factors that come into play for this and it's probably not going to be easy, but since I really want to stay N/A with the car and know that any little bit of HP gain beyond 300whp will have to be done through building the engine, do you guys think it's a good idea and is the VQ worth going through all that trouble?

Now i'm already pushing out close to 270whp and next year I am going to be doing heads and cams to hopefully get me up to 300 with a tune, I am wondering how much I could potentially push out staying N/A and not scrificing too much reliability/drivability.

Thanks for the input guys and I hope I wasn't too vague on my intentions.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Bump. Anyone?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would not invest that much money for such a small gain. Get a single turbo kit, boost 7 psi and you will have a reliable 350whp car. This really is not a problem on the stock block, and I can tell you 350whp is plenty fun.

Heck, for that much money (boring out to 4.0L) you can get a nice TT setup.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Post this in the engine section man, there will be more knowledgeable guys to lend a hand there. You could also post it on my350Z, there are a lot of close to 300hp N/A Zs on there.

I have no idea who could bore the cylinders out in our area though.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by 350Z T
I would not invest that much money for such a small gain. Get a single turbo kit, boost 7 psi and you will have a reliable 350whp car. This really is not a problem on the stock block, and I can tell you 350whp is plenty fun.

Heck, for that much money (boring out to 4.0L) you can get a nice TT setup.
Yeah you make a good point, but I dunno what it is but I just like the idea of getting pure power straight up from the engine without FI, not that I really have anything against turbos or superchargers, I guess I kind of see it as cheating a little which i'm sure is not the case. I guess in the end I may end up conceding to the norm.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
Post this in the engine section man, there will be more knowledgeable guys to lend a hand there. You could also post it on my350Z, there are a lot of close to 300hp N/A Zs on there.

I have no idea who could bore the cylinders out in our area though.
Yeah I know I just wanted to know what you guys thought first, I'll make a post in the engine forum see if anything interesting comes up.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
N/A is waaaaaay more reliable than FI.

I'd build any car N/A before going to FI.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
N/A is waaaaaay more reliable than FI.

I'd build any car N/A before going to FI.
Let me correct that. N/A is waaaay more reliable if you don't build the motor.

If you are taking things appart, machining and changing everything over the chances of something being overlooked go waaaaay up.

So, low boost with OEM block and you will be just fine. The stock block and 350whp will do the trick. You will have to spend a ton of cash to get a VQ in it's N/A form to make that kind of power.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 PM
But if you're going to go FI, build that engine too.

There is a local Z, can't remember whose it is. It's a shop car though, it makes 327hp N/A and the car hasn't seen a single problem.

I'd rather have a high hp N/A engine than a high HP FI where parts are more expensive to fix or replace (I.E. turbos)

Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
A cheaper option if it's possible is to use the 4.0 liter block from the Titan. Might need to change the bellhousing if you are MT.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A cheaper option if it's possible is to use the 4.0 liter block from the Titan. Might need to change the bellhousing if you are MT.
Titans are 5.6L the new FX has a 5.0L and I think Frontiers/pathfinders have a 4.0L. When ever you swap an engine that was not intended for a vehicle it gets expensive due to the amount of custom parts/fabbing required not to mention you have to buy the new engine.

A stroker kit is about $5600USD any competent machine shop could machine and assemble your engine I am sure there are tons in the GTA. The machine work could cost $1000 or better+your head work and cams depends on how nuts you go with heads that can $2000-3000. For a built engine you are looking at close to $10k depending on what parts you go with and if you do your own work it could be much cheaper. Also if you bore your rngine instead of stroking it it would be cheaper a stroker crank is about $3500 with a 100mm bore you have 3.8L of displacment but to go that big you have to run aftermarket sleeves. A turbo/supercharger would be cheaper I once wanted a N/A motor but the cost vs performance was very high.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 02-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wowwwwww offtopic butt YOURrr SIGnaturee SUmss up my liFEE storyYY ahahah

Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I some how posted this in another guys introductory thread but here is some helpful info.

The guys at Z1 performance seem to have a few nice NA builds, they are good guys from my dealings with them. Here is a long read but very useful for NA builds.

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/28...p-to-nuts.html

Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I read a fair bit of that, very interesting but a PILE of work and some pretty specialized skills and parts required ($$$). If I wanted 300+whp, I'd drive my car into 350Z T's "man shack" and say "Here, boost this, would ya?" haha!

Sadly, that is not happening anytime soon.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Titans are 5.6L the new FX has a 5.0L and I think Frontiers/pathfinders have a 4.0L. When ever you swap an engine that was not intended for a vehicle it gets expensive due to the amount of custom parts/fabbing required not to mention you have to buy the new engine.

A stroker kit is about $5600USD any competent machine shop could machine and assemble your engine I am sure there are tons in the GTA. The machine work could cost $1000 or better+your head work and cams depends on how nuts you go with heads that can $2000-3000. For a built engine you are looking at close to $10k depending on what parts you go with and if you do your own work it could be much cheaper. Also if you bore your rngine instead of stroking it it would be cheaper a stroker crank is about $3500 with a 100mm bore you have 3.8L of displacment but to go that big you have to run aftermarket sleeves. A turbo/supercharger would be cheaper I once wanted a N/A motor but the cost vs performance was very high.

Thanks Sylvan you make a good point *sigh* definitely gave me a few things to think about and re-evaluate. I just wish the cost/performace wasn't so high, I will have to take another look at how far I want to go and what I really want after I do my heads and cams.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: N/A Engine mod enquiry