Canada Serving Canada.

is it just me, or are there a lot less booming bass cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I think one big difference from being a teen in my past and teens today is the cool factor. Don't get me wrong, we were pretty cool and had cool toys too...just different and usually much less costly.
When I was a teen I was more than happy to buy the car I could (almost) afford and fix it up to the point were I was proud as a peacock cruising around town.
Many teens today simply must get the latest and greatest of whatever it is that they want...cars included. When it comes to vehicles, most of them can't afford one so they simply don't bother.
I think if they could afford a decent ride then they would be more 'into it'.
well put...love the "proud as a peacock" line

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
I'm 20 as most of your know and I was talking with Roy about this today...

I don't know if I am just really awesome or other 19 or 20 year olds just really suck?

The whole big stereo thing has dropped off, instead these kids are writing off theirs cars before they can get them into the shop for a stereo. The kids are getting stupider and stupider, they drive like *** holes in their parents minivans then when they buy these juiced oh sewing machines they drive them into telephone poles. The high school I use to go to has more ignorant ***** in it then ever before. On lunches they take their cars up a 4 lane rd around the corner (70km/max) and do about 160-170 down this road, one kid almost killed himself after owning a 1.8T golf for less than a month.

Anyways, moral of the story. Kids are stupid and booming bass has been put on the backburner since killing yourself is in right now.
Actually teenagers have been driving stupid since the beginning of time. When I was a teenager, most of my friends drove as you described, and some got into serious accidents. What you are experiencing with stupid teens isn't anything new, stats will show this, and insurance rates prove it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is likely from factory stereo systems sounding 20x better than they did back then, additionally with better sound proofing.

Unless one wants to spend some serious cash (Focal, for example), new systems right now are definitely adequate for more than the average person.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Allot of good points mentioned here. When I was in HS having a Loud system was definitely more important than having a so called "fast" car, it was who ever had the biggest Bass, I remember friends of mine including myself spending allot of cash on their systems. Another thing that kids did allot (not me or my Dad would kill me) was steal stereo's from cars, admittedly I did buy some "hot" stuff from them mainly because I could never afford some of the brands I bought if they were new.

I think its a bit of both in terms of kids spending more money on video games and phones and cars coming with better systems from the factory as for the kids driving like idiots......that will never change.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
What ever the reason for it... I'm glad it's happening.

Funny thing, because the weather was so garbage over the weekend I took some time to take pictures/gather together old components from previous 'big stereo' installs I had (have only been sitting on the parts for 10 years) :P They made it on kijiji and some even went to a happy new owner the same day.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
This afternoon I was in my kitchen, widow cracked a couple inches.. I heard a car coming from a block away, it went by, then I heard it a block away in the other direction (just the bass sound). Not going to lie.. I'd love to take a bat to their car

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
If it's too loud then you're too old.

That's the "saying" I remember growing up to.

I still rock dual 10" W7's with 1000+ Watts in my G and dual 10" JBL's with 2200 Watts in my Hummer. Both cars have Focal's all around. I have never outgrown loud music and probably never will. besides, I have to turn it up loud cause I'm going deaf now.

Just thought I'd chime in!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I rarely even turn mine on. VQ music for me!

But yeah, if they're on the decrease, I'm all for it. Still a few in my hood, though.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
HAHA oh Sammy you make me laugh.

I think it depends on the booming of the bass. From time to time I will hear people playing their music loud but you don't hear it to that effect where parts of the car are shaking. I always hated that and never got the point of that. It's funny this morning as I was driving to work there was some kid in a golf who had his music up so loud I was certain his windows would shatter. I actually had to move two lanes over cause at 7am it was a tad too loud for my liking.

To go on about teens and the way they drive. A few summers ago I was with a friend going for a walk near my house and we were at Baskin Robbins when we heard a crash. When we got outside saw a teenager crying over his done up Mazda that he JUST got. Ends up him and another idiot were street racing on a residential street and a lady decided to jay walk not knowing what was happening ahead of her. The guy in the mazda had to swerve from hitting her. He did a 360, ended up on the other side of the road and his car collided with a baby tree. He was fine and so was the lady though she was really shaken and for valid reasons of course.

The other punk decided to race off so no one knew what car he was driving. The guy in the Mazda was fine his front end of the car was damaged pretty bad though. And the cops were not happy.

I was so mad at the teenager I actually went up to him and said to him it's people like him that give our car community a bad name. That he should not own a car and modify it if he cannot respect the public, laws and all. He was pretty shocked to hear from me and the cop actually thanked me saying he rarely hears a car enthusiast stand up at the scene of a street race accident and say something.

We have a great community and one that can be very strong in Canada if we just let it. Kids have become too focused on Facebook, Twitter (still have no idea what the heck it is), smartphones etc that they just don't know about cars anymore. One thing I always said is whoever I end up with has to be into cars and we are to raise our kids with the respect and love for cars as we have learned from childhood.

That's my rant on teenagers..sorry I went off a tad there

I will say this if I hear a good song whether it be rock, rap, something upbeat and it's later in the day and I feel like a rush I will play it a tad louder while cruising on the highway. Music plus the highway driving gives me such a great adrenaline rush I love it So calming

Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 PM
when I was 16 I had a system in a trd camry. it was loud as hell inside the car, but hardly notice it outside because of the time and money I put into sound deadening. I went through 8 rolls of dynamat and 3 cans of spray sound deadening. it was as quiet in the car as a lexus ls400 when you turned down the stereo. with it on you couldn't talk to the person next to you. 2 fosgate performance series 10's with a pioneer 1200watt rms amp. clear accurate loud as hell bass. had a pioneer 400watt rms 4channel amp in there too with pioneer 120watt rms speakers all the way around inside. would I do it in another car now? no way. wouldn't spend that money on a stereo ever again. replace a head unit with a usb one is as far as I'd go again.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Coming from a 17 year olds pov a lot of the kids my age are starting to understand just how uncool trunk rattle is and how if u cant do something as simple as a subwoofer right... dont do it.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-.-. over here, teens just put subwoofers in their car, nothing but bass and from outside u can hear rattles, no music coming out at all.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I read a quote recently about youth. "today's teens are lazy, unmotivated and contribute absolutely nothing to society." (similar)

When I read it I thought it wAs spoken recently. I saw the date and it was in the 1850s or so.

I have noticed fewer boom boxes- Frick in my day as a kid the big thing was ghetto blasters. I had one with TWO tape decks. I know - I was cool.

I think the latest fad is the iPod blaring in individual headsets. Everyone wears their own music everywhere. I see the enormous head blasters more and more often now. As for cars? Guilty. I like a full, rich sound (covers up the rattles from the g) so I swapped all the internals and added a forward firing 10" sub. And yeah. Sometimes you can even hear it from outside. Admittedly, however, not often.

I agree it's trending downwards. Thank god.

But people driving with headphones on? Fail

Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL, I still have mine. It works fine and is on my work bench to listen to the radio.

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
I read a quote recently about youth. "today's teens are lazy, unmotivated and contribute absolutely nothing to society." (similar)

When I read it I thought it wAs spoken recently. I saw the date and it was in the 1850s or so.

I have noticed fewer boom boxes- Frick in my day as a kid the big thing was ghetto blasters. I had one with TWO tape decks. I know - I was cool.

I think the latest fad is the iPod blaring in individual headsets. Everyone wears their own music everywhere. I see the enormous head blasters more and more often now. As for cars? Guilty. I like a full, rich sound (covers up the rattles from the g) so I swapped all the internals and added a forward firing 10" sub. And yeah. Sometimes you can even hear it from outside. Admittedly, however, not often.

I agree it's trending downwards. Thank god.

But people driving with headphones on? Fail

Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
When I was 16-21(31 now) I used to compete in IASCA events. I did SQ & DB drag. I literally spent everything I made to work on the car... Sponsorship helped too. Everyone I knew back then was doing something to their car stereo whether it was just putting in a new head unit or going full out. Everywhere you went, you would hear some sort of bass in the distance. I'm against & always have been against stereos that are only bass. Sounds like $hit to me. I ran 3,000 watts with Precision Power amps powering 16 soeakers. I loved having a clean crisp full system. I eventually grew out of it after I hit 150.2 DB. My goal was to break 150 so after I did, it didn't take long to lose interest in it & part everything out. I think part of the reason you dont see it as much nowadays is also because if the sheer cost involved. When I bought my G, I added 2 10" subs and that lasted about 2-3 months before I said to myself "I'm too old for subs".