Canada Serving Canada.

The Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005 | 02:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RBull
No worries GSM. I'm safe and sound in my home office.
I'm hoping we can get all of this nasty stuff over with soon and have an early spring.
I can't wait to get the G out on the road again. I know it's going to feel real good because even my jeep is now starting to seem pretty normal and almost sporty!

Off topic-
BTW besides grounding, ztube and K&N what other mods do you think are worthwhile and cost effective on the G?
It will be nice to get back some warmer, 'G' weather for sure.

Here's a list of what I did and the approx. costs In Canadian $:

Borla True Dual Exhaust.-- $900.. good mod but not cheap. BTW most other exhausts are more money and not as pretty.

Crawford Plenum (upper)--$700..again good mod effective but not cheap and may make some dealers nervous. (not mine)

K&N Typhoon CAI--$400- Like it. good gains. also tried Z-tube and K&N filter and like that too. (about $225)

Hyper Voltage system and Wires--$350 + $100 depending on #..grounding a must have, HyperVoltage system good, but expensive.

Clear Corners--$70 depending on paint colour. looks good on my D/G (Silverstone)

Splash Guards--$200 a must have (IMHO)

Synthetic lubricants (except auto tranny)-- worth the investment to me.
-----------
Apart from reprogramming the ECU, Forced Induction, body kits, wheels and the like, there isn't much else yet for our rides.
That may change as the market catches up with our G's.

With such a well built and tuned engine, it's very hard to get more ponies out of it with serious bolts ons or going internal. Then you're looking at warranty issues.
C.

Old 01-17-2005 | 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by gsedanman

Borla True Dual Exhaust.-- $900.. good mod but not cheap. BTW most other exhausts are more money and not as pretty.

Crawford Plenum (upper)--$700..again good mod effective but not cheap and may make some dealers nervous. (not mine)

K&N Typhoon CAI--$400- Like it. good gains. also tried Z-tube and K&N filter and like that too. (about $225)

Hyper Voltage system and Wires--$350 + $100 depending on #..grounding a must have, HyperVoltage system good, but expensive.

Clear Corners--$70 depending on paint colour. looks good on my D/G (Silverstone)

-----------
Apart from reprogramming the ECU, Forced Induction, body kits, wheels and the like, there isn't much else yet for our rides.

With such a well built and tuned engine, it's very hard to get more ponies out of it with serious bolts ons or going internal. Then you're looking at warranty issues.
C.
Nice summary Colin, very informative and helps us novices out immensely. This info might make a good sticky for all of us Canucks that are just getting involved in the "G World"
Wayne

Old 01-17-2005 | 02:37 PM
Traveling Administrator
It's back. Blizzard number 2. The city is shut down today. Not a whole lot of snow- 25cm to date but the damn 80-90km winds are affecting visibility and causing some decent drifts.
Are you Easterners sending us this crap again!!

Yep, we got hit today as well. I think we got around 20cm, however it was the high winds that was the killer. Driving to work this morning was tricky to say the least.

Old 01-17-2005 | 03:02 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
thanks Colin

It will be nice to get back some warmer, 'G' weather for sure.

-----------

C.
Good feedback Colin. My thoughts are pretty close on pretty much all you've said other than: On my red G I think the OEM corners look better, setting off the Brembos too. I haven't got myself convinced on look of the splash guards yet but they likely have some protective benefits I'm sure.
There's one other red G here in town and he has them.
The FI is too risky and expensive, and all of the other visuals-wheels, body kits don't improve the looks IMO especially considering the costs. I agree that it's not possible to get many easy HP gains from the 3.5VQ.
If I was after real power and reliability I would just buy something like a Mustang Cobra, change the pulley and ECU and have a 425hp rocket that is still reasonably priced. Then again it doesn't look or feel like a G.
Hope you've checked out Canadian Driver web site for the recent price announcements on the M. Starting at $64 and Sport version is about $72k

D

Old 01-17-2005 | 03:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Good feedback Colin. My thoughts are pretty close on pretty much all you've said other than: On my red G I think the OEM corners look better, setting off the Brembos too. I haven't got myself convinced on look of the splash guards yet but they likely have some protective benefits I'm sure.
There's one other red G here in town and he has them.
The FI is too risky and expensive, and all of the other visuals-wheels, body kits don't improve the looks IMO especially considering the costs. I agree that it's not possible to get many easy HP gains from the 3.5VQ.
If I was after real power and reliability I would just buy something like a Mustang Cobra, change the pulley and ECU and have a 425hp rocket that is still reasonably priced. Then again it doesn't look or feel like a G.
Hope you've checked out Canadian Driver web site for the recent price announcements on the M. Starting at $64 and Sport version is about $72k

D
Canadian Driver web site????? Got the link? TNX ....I don't know that one.

I agree with the clears.....orange corners look much better with red paint.

Spash guards grow on you eventually.....Initially they look a little cumbersome and imposing, but they work well helping to prevent splash and dings, and eventually they look quite at home on the G.

Old 01-17-2005 | 03:44 PM
Here in Winnipeg today, -48C with the windchill...
On Titan, the moon of Saturn it's -150C, not to big of a stretch...

Old 01-17-2005 | 03:54 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by choboter
Here in Winnipeg today, -48C with the windchill...
On Titan, the moon of Saturn it's -150C, not to big of a stretch...
Wow, that's cold, Chris......-48 prolly feels like -150 anyway right.
Let's hope that doesn't last long.

Old 01-17-2005 | 04:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Man I just found the website----www.canadiandriver.ca .

Pricing on the M is outrageous...

I'm going outside to cool off.

Old 01-17-2005 | 04:35 PM
Wow ! just looked at Canadian Driver, that red M in the pics is awesome, and then I read the prices and got a terrible case of the dreaded Sticker Shock

Old 01-17-2005 | 05:51 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
peace bro

Man I just found the website----www.canadiandriver.ca .

Pricing on the M is outrageous...

I'm going outside to cool off.
Colin,

I hope you're cooled off by now.
Glad you found the site yourself before I got back on here. I should have given you the link. It's pretty good content. I purchased and used their reviews with the auto publication I oversaw at my last job.

I'm sorry I was the one to dump that news on you, if it wasn't what you were expecting.
The car sure looks nice though and I'm sure that V8 is worth every penny.

Deane

Old 01-17-2005 | 06:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Colin,

I hope you're cooled off by now.
Glad you found the site yourself before I got back on here. I should have given you the link. It's pretty good content. I purchased and used their reviews with the auto publication I oversaw at my last job.

I'm sorry I was the one to dump that news on you, if it wasn't what you were expecting.
The car sure looks nice though and I'm sure that V8 is worth every penny.

Deane
Haha, no worries -- I've been waiting for info for 6 months now. Thanks for the leed on the site. It's a great one.

Must go,.....gotta go rob a bank.....

Old 01-23-2005 | 09:03 AM
Angry Go Away Winter!!!

Alright, already, I really like playing in the snow in my X, but as I said on one of the other boards, I am tired now. I would really like the Winter to GO AWAY!!!
Gord can have the cold temps and blowing snow, I want the nice balmy weather of summer so I can finally do a few minor mods and do a real good clean-up job and wax on the G.
I do not want to play in the snow anymore for this year.

GO AWAY WINTER

Old 01-23-2005 | 11:12 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Go Away Winter

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Alright, already, I really like playing in the snow in my X, but as I said on one of the other boards, I am tired now. I would really like the Winter to GO AWAY!!!
Gord can have the cold temps and blowing snow, I want the nice balmy weather of summer so I can finally do a few minor mods and do a real good clean-up job and wax on the G.
I do not want to play in the snow anymore for this year.

GO AWAY WINTER

Yeah I agree, this is our third blizzard in a week. I'm getting tired of playing in the snow with the Jeep too. I've got the January blahs.

I don't know what happened to the moderate winters we sued to have here on the East Coast. I long to drive the G and do the mods and detailing you mentioned as well.

My parents have invited me to visit their winter home in Texas and I am awful tempted. Trouble is my wife has a job she can't leave!

Let's pray this severe start to winter brings an early spring.