Canada Serving Canada.

Out of province buying help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of province buying help

Hey guys, I asked before about deals, checked out car canada, got a quote 3% over factory invoice from a dealer in Montreal (for base model seems pretty good, $1000 below discount in cars4u.com) and it doesn't look like the local delear can match since he doesn't have what I want in stock...

so, how do I do this and not get any hidden costs when I get to Montreal where I'll be in no place to negotiate (no way home )
I have a faxed sales contract, with the price I agreed to, with all taxes, PDI and a final price on it, but only the cover letter of the fax is signed, there's no signature on the sales contract itself, the salesperson says the next step is to send a downpayment by credit card to secure the deal, should I do this w/o signed document? I want a stipulation, subject to inspection of vehicle, but want the final price locked in before i go there, how do I do this?
please help guys, I'm a little paranoid since this is my first major car purchase.

Thanks for any feedback,

Tim

Old 05-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Hey guys, I asked before about deals, checked out car canada, got a quote 3% over factory invoice from a dealer in Montreal (for base model seems pretty good, $1000 below discount in cars4u.com) and it doesn't look like the local delear can match since he doesn't have what I want in stock...

so, how do I do this and not get any hidden costs when I get to Montreal where I'll be in no place to negotiate (no way home )
I have a faxed sales contract, with the price I agreed to, with all taxes, PDI and a final price on it, but only the cover letter of the fax is signed, there's no signature on the sales contract itself, the salesperson says the next step is to send a downpayment by credit card to secure the deal, should I do this w/o signed document? I want a stipulation, subject to inspection of vehicle, but want the final price locked in before i go there, how do I do this?
please help guys, I'm a little paranoid since this is my first major car purchase.

Thanks for any feedback,

Tim
It sounds like you're in good shape Tim. That's a pretty fair price. Asking for a deposit of $500 or so for an out of province buyer seems a reasonable thing for them to ask to hold the car. You really don't have any risk as you have 10 days on a major purchase to cancel the contract and get your deposit money back, unless the laws are different in Quebec than the rest of the country. Just double check with them to make sure they understand all charges should be listed on the contract or you will be requesting a refund. You could probably research that with the Quebec government first if that makes you feel better.
Good luck with the trip and the new car.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Québec is actually a lot better than all other provinces for customer protection. They would have to give you back your money if you change your mind. I think you'll be just fine. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
thanks

thanks for the help guys, had a last minute change in plans, the local dealer wavered last minute and came down to match the price completly. I feel kinda bad for ditching the Montreal guy but its just way simpler for me, getting the silverstone with graphite interior

did anyone get rust proofingéundercoating or the 3M anti chip stuff? are they worth it?

Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
thanks for the help guys, had a last minute change in plans, the local dealer wavered last minute and came down to match the price completly. I feel kinda bad for ditching the Montreal guy but its just way simpler for me, getting the silverstone with graphite interior

did anyone get rust proofingéundercoating or the 3M anti chip stuff? are they worth it?
Yes on both and yes to the second question too. On the east coast undercoating is probably more important with our salt air, lots of moisture and salted roads. You might skip that but def do the 3M.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Here's another out of province question, Since Alberta has no 8% PST, is it possible to buy a car from there and then have it trailered back to Ontario and plated here. On a $45000 car that can save $3600 in tax.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by G-Force
Here's another out of province question, Since Alberta has no 8% PST, is it possible to buy a car from there and then have it trailered back to Ontario and plated here. On a $45000 car that can save $3600 in tax.
If you're like Nova Scotia before you can license and register it you will have to pay the provicial tax equivalent so there is no way around it.