Canada Serving Canada.

Advice on upgrades for G Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on upgrades for G Sedan

Guys,

I need some advice. I have a leased 05 6MT sedan and I want to do some mild modding to the car to gain some more oomph to the car (not that its lacking any ). I am concerned about voiding the warranty so any sugguestions to mod the car should not break (violate) the warranty. Here are some things that I have been thinking of with the notion that I can put the car back in its original state upon return:

1. H-G System: GroundingGear (tm) from Gordgee!! On its way

2. Injen RD1992P Cold Air Intake (recommended by Jerry), Thinking of getting it from G35Everything due to rave reviews, but I would like to find cheap in Canada if possible. Any other suggestions regarding this would be appreciated. Does this thing have a bypass valve so water does not get into the intake and hydrolock the engine??

3. H-V System: Still looking and I think Sun Auto seems to be the good one unless somebody has a better suggestion.

4. Thinking of putting 1/2 inch plenum spacers on the car but I am not sure about the warranty aspect of it.

5. Any mods that would give me the biggest bang for the buck and cheaply without warranty issues.

Thanks

Karim

Old 01-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by EEYORE
Guys,

I need some advice. I have a leased 05 6MT sedan and I want to do some mild modding to the car to gain some more oomph to the car (not that its lacking any ). I am concerned about voiding the warranty so any sugguestions to mod the car should not break (violate) the warranty. Here are some things that I have been thinking of with the notion that I can put the car back in its original state upon return:

1. H-G System: GroundingGear (tm) from Gordgee!! On its way

2. Injen RD1992P Cold Air Intake (recommended by Jerry), Thinking of getting it from G35Everything due to rave reviews, but I would like to find cheap in Canada if possible. Any other suggestions regarding this would be appreciated. Does this thing have a bypass valve so water does not get into the intake and hydrolock the engine??

3. H-V System: Still looking and I think Sun Auto seems to be the good one unless somebody has a better suggestion.

4. Thinking of putting 1/2 inch plenum spacers on the car but I am not sure about the warranty aspect of it.

5. Any mods that would give me the biggest bang for the buck and cheaply without warranty issues.

Thanks

Karim
MREV mod from Motordyne.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm not conviced of the benefits of the Injen vs something like the Stillen box & Z-tube.
If you go with the Injen.....
You should be aware of a stalling issue with the Injen on MT applications.
It happens (occasionally)durring a shift when you let off the gas.
An additional baffle/shield is req'd

Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
I'm not conviced of the benefits of the Injen vs something like the Stillen box & Z-tube.
Are you suggesting there are better CAIs out there that are equal or better than the Injen?? if so what kit would you recommend or combination of products to make the G35 breathe easier, gains in both HP/TQ are a bonus if its there.

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
If you go with the Injen.....
You should be aware of a stalling issue with the Injen on MT applications.
It happens (occasionally)durring a shift when you let off the gas.
An additional baffle/shield is req'd
Wasn't this problem resolved during the first version of the CAI with the G35 coupe years back?? I remember reading a post that Injen solved the issue with a redesign on the CAI.

Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday
MREV mod from Motordyne.
Reading about it showed it would be the preffered choice as I really don't see any other "REAL" reviews of other plenum spacers. Does the kit include a thermal spacer or somthing thermal to keep the intake air cool (more dense)??

Thanks

Karim

Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
PDT
I don't think you need item number 3 (H-V System). I remember discussing this with Gordgee, and some members never noticed a difference from it. I intially purchased the 7 wire kit from Gordgee and now purchased the other 3 wires. Man is the 10 wire kit is amazing.

I have an AEM CAI on my car and love it. It may not yield extra power over the Stillen box and Z tube, but it was gift, and I like it!! I believe my girlfriend purchased the intake from JRP in Mississauga. They are a vendor at G35.ca so you might want to call them and say your a member at that site.

I recently installed the Motordyne 5/16 Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer, and it's great. The MREV version would benefit all '05 Manual G35s. I think the regular spacer will not do much without the new lower intake plenum.

I've never had any warranty issues at the dealer with these (knocking on wood), but I'm close to the end of the warranty (running at 90,000 kms right now!!)

Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
PDT
Originally Posted by EEYORE
Reading about it showed it would be the preffered choice as I really don't see any other "REAL" reviews of other plenum spacers. Does the kit include a thermal spacer or somthing thermal to keep the intake air cool (more dense)??
I think you are looking for this:

http://www.partshippers.com/index.ph...roducts_id=893

http://www.partshippers.com/index.ph...roducts_id=911

Old 01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Of all the options you listed, I agree that the Motordyne spacer is your best bang for the buck.
Many G35 owners (including me) have gone the less expensive route on the intake and have installed the Z-tube with a K&N hi-flo panel filter - total cost is about $200 or much less if you can find the Z-tube on-line through this forum.

Many concerns I've read about CAI systems is loss of low end torque (and stalling in some cases), but I'm sure improvements have been made. If I was going with FI then I would reconsider going with a CAI... but for now in my NA config I'm quite happy with the improvements that the Z-tube has brought.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BbyG35
Of all the options you listed, I agree that the Motordyne spacer is your best bang for the buck.
Many G35 owners (including me) have gone the less expensive route on the intake and have installed the Z-tube with a K&N hi-flo panel filter - total cost is about $200 or much less if you can find the Z-tube on-line through this forum.

Many concerns I've read about CAI systems is loss of low end torque (and stalling in some cases), but I'm sure improvements have been made. If I was going with FI then I would reconsider going with a CAI... but for now in my NA config I'm quite happy with the improvements that the Z-tube has brought.

Agree with you on the spacer, Ztube & K&N. Spacer is #1, the last two are minimal gains, more audible improvements.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you have an 05 6MT - ABSOLUTELY get the MREV mod. search this site for more info.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely recommend Motordyne's MREV. If you opt to go this route, be sure to consider the Copper Iso Thermal MREV version. Tony has outdone himself with this latest mod for the '05+ 6MT's.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
I would definitely recommend Motordyne's MREV. If you opt to go this route, be sure to consider the Copper Iso Thermal MREV version. Tony has outdone himself with this latest mod for the '05+ 6MT's.
Good to see you're even looking after us northern neighbours.

I just got the copper gasket to replace my valve, today.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
IMHO, don't waste the money on a leased car unless you definitely plan on purchasing it after the lease runs out. Just my .02

Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Good to see you're even looking after us northern neighbours.

I just got the copper gasket to replace my valve, today.
. . . Have a good week, Deane.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PDT
I don't think you need item number 3 (H-V System). I remember discussing this with Gordgee, and some members never noticed a difference from it. I intially purchased the 7 wire kit from Gordgee and now purchased the other 3 wires. Man is the 10 wire kit is amazing.
We did some testing on the H-V System way back, and decided it wasn't worth continuing development. Some theoretical benefits may be had if you install a high-current drawing aftermarket amp or something, but we didn't test for it.

There were a few ppl that did notice a difference however, but not in our testing.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just go for the MREV + the grounding Kit
then you can start from there ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on upgrades for G Sedan