Canada Serving Canada.

3.5 tonne BROADSIDE!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 11:45 AM
|
Angry 3.5 tonne BROADSIDE!!

As the title says its not me getting it, but me giving it Might have been better if it was an enema. Anyway my less than month old, less than 2500km on the G35 M6 sedan has gotten into an accident so close to home that the neighbours probably heard me screaming trying to wake up the "Grateful Dead" on finding out there wasn't any around.

I was going home on my usual route from the Go Station and looking forward to BBQing a steak on the barbie when I got into the accident. travelling nortbound on the road where before the traffic light splits into three lanes, one for left turn, center and right turn. Cars were stopped at the lights on all lanes so I was still well below the speed limit because of cars and trucks infront of me also slowing down. I needed to make a right turn to go east so I signalled ahead of time and proceeded to enter the right turn lane. Unfortunately, a vehicle making a left turn between to stopped vehicles into the driveway of a day care centre came infront of me and I immediately slammed on the brakes. I don't think that the ABS kicked in the distance was so short, but I did hear the tires squeal before impact.

I was doing about 5-10km at the time but when you have a 3.5 ton car its alot of damage to any vehicle in front of you. I am clearly not at fault as the other driver clearly did not use caution. The other car was a Mazda Protege and now its front passenger door looks like a satellite dish after the accident. You could not open the door at all, I tried but the door handle starting to come off. We exchanged information and I went to the collision reporting center at the cop shop near my house. The good thing about it is that nobody or animal was hurt and thats a good thing even though my anger level was at the boiling point of Mount Vesuvius. The whole situation was handled calmly and rationally and I got a thank you from the other driver for not being an idiot about it. How could I, doodoo happens and the fact that mothers/fathers and kids were around it would have been a bad scene. I am not that kind of person so the thank you lowered my anger to Mount St. Helen stage.

The car is very driveable if I removed my ground effects off the car, the split fiber glass bumper, the front license plate, the front lower grill, the side markers, the headlights, yeah you know the drill. I am waiting for a flatbed to take the car to the bodyshop and hopefully to have my baby back to its prestine state including all of the problems noted in thread Fuel Pump Noise

The dealer knows about it so when its in the shop they can take care of the mechanicals of the car while waiting for other parts and body prepping. I am still trying to get over having my pride and joy damaged, but I must overcome hoping that when I see her again it will be like the first time.

Eeyore

Old 10-28-2005 | 11:52 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Eeyore....
Man that sucks....
Glad your OK though, thats the main thing.

Did air bags deploy?

Old 10-28-2005 | 12:38 PM
|
nope, the airbags did not deploy so I know I was going at a low speed but I thought the threshold was about 10 to 15 km??

Old 10-28-2005 | 01:53 PM
PDT
Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck with the repairs, and as inTgr8r said, glad you are okay!

Old 10-28-2005 | 03:11 PM
"....but when you have a 3.5 ton car its alot of damage to any vehicle in front of you"

I sure hope your car doesn't weight 3.5 tons (7000 lbs)... gas mileage would be terrible

Good luck though with the repairs!!

Old 10-28-2005 | 03:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by BbyG35
"....but when you have a 3.5 ton car its alot of damage to any vehicle in front of you"

I sure hope your car doesn't weight 3.5 tons (7000 lbs)... gas mileage would be terrible

Good luck though with the repairs!!
LOL, in the heat of the moment, he typed "ton" instead of "k lbs."..
But no doubt because of the movement, even at 10 kph, the inertial weight is much greater.....

Eeyore, that sucks big time man. So sorry to hear of the damage.....but nobody hurt and our rides are very resilliant and repairable.

I've said it many times and thank God it's true this time too...."it could have been much worse".

We all feel for you bro, and like you, we all look forward to your "pride and joy" coming home again.

Keep us up on how the repairs go.

Colin

Old 10-28-2005 | 07:29 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Eeyore,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Most importantly you are uninjured. Of course it's a shame about the car but hopefully you are able to have it repaired to your complete satisfaction.
Yes I am also surprised the air bags did not deploy but you must have been just under the limit.

Deane

Old 10-29-2005 | 08:56 PM
|
Guys,

Thanks for your concern as it is much appreciated. As mentioned before "Thank God nobody was hurt" and it could have been worse. As I reminisce back to the event and taking note of the fact the front passenger door was caved into the car from the impact of the G35. I shudder with fear the fact someone could have been there and injured. If I was a little slower, maybe I would have avoided the whole thing and none would be the wiser. Anyway the G35 has now been towed to the body shop in Toronto and I got a rental for the day since I have to go overseas in the morning. Kind of a waste but I wanted to ensure safe delivery of the car to the shop before I took off.

By the looks of the body shop which looks quite unfamiliar to me (like I frequent body shops ), but noting alot of highend cars like Porsches, BMWs, Audis and a couple of G35s there. So I have to guess that I am good hands. I did speak with the owner of the body shop who is also the president of the Automobile Repair Regulatory Council which gave me some relief that the job would be done to perfection and final approval based on my scrutinous eye. But I also talked with him about other stuff which really didn't give me any comfort about insurance companies on how they cheat the consumer and by the looks of it I am going to have to go to bat with my insurance company on getting my G35 covered and done right.

Well anyway, I will keep everyone posted as things go on and hopefully all will be well and my insurance premiums will not go up because of this.

thanks

Karim

Old 10-30-2005 | 01:44 PM
Eeyore, sorry to hear about this but I'm glad to hear you are OK. Sounds like you handled it well at the scene. These things unfortunately happen. Good luck with the insurance company and repairs.

Old 10-31-2005 | 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear that EEYORE!

I live in Ajax and know exactly the kind of drivers out there around rush hour. Where abouts was the accident?

Good luck getting your baby fixed and I am glad no one was injured!

BADG35

Old 10-31-2005 | 01:04 PM
Whoa Eeyore,
Condolences on your 1-month old G. Glad to hear you're ok though.

Is it me or are G's being hunted down like some sick sport???!! I'm hearing about too many G 'misfortunes' *sigh*

Hope you're back up and running soon,
Al

Old 11-06-2005 | 10:02 AM
|
It seems that the G's are a moving target of some sort.

Well, The parts for the repair are still on back order so I don't think the G will be ready anytime soon.

This may be a good thing as I am in bed suffering from a broken left collar bone from a motorcycle accident over the past weekend. I kind of have to wonder which pain is worse.

Old 11-06-2005 | 10:50 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by EEYORE

Well, The parts for the repair are still on back order so I don't think the G will be ready anytime soon.

This may be a good thing as I am in bed suffering from a broken left collar bone from a motorcycle accident over the past weekend. I kind of have to wonder which pain is worse.

Wow, it's been a rough one for you lately.

Hey man, take care of that collar bone. Broken bones are not fun.

G/L also with the car repairs.

Old 11-06-2005 | 02:53 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by EEYORE

Yikes EEYORE!......it has been rough for you lately....Maybe the best place for you is in bed until things 'cool off'.
Good luck with those parts coming in for the G, and for the collar bone...

Stay safe.....

C.

Old 11-06-2005 | 05:58 PM
|
Seems like October was a bad month for me with the two incidents and probably a clear indication that I should be slowing down at my age As for my Yamaha R1, it sustained less damage than me. and the cost of fixing it might cost me a case of beer. As much as I love driving my cars, I enjoy the same on the bike even if there is less of a level of protection than a car.

On the bike the view of the road is much different than a car. You wouldn't believe the things drivers do on the road when they don't follow simple taught rules of driving and the same thing goes for the bikers too. I certainly have a greater appreciation when it comes to driving and have become more aware with tuned to cars that have a better performance average than the regular cars on the market.

The cheap narcotics they give you are starting to wear off so I must go off and refill

Eeyore

Eeyore

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.5 tonne BROADSIDE!!