Canada Serving Canada.

WINTER DRIVERS: Does anyone get yearly rustproofing done? (ie. Krown)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WINTER DRIVERS: Does anyone get yearly rustproofing done? (ie. Krown)

I've never taken my summers off and never driven in the wintertime since getting my '04 coupe. But I'm planning on it this year. I just a few questions about protecting my car's underside.

QUESTIONS:
1) I know that my G has factory undercoating (I saw it on the bill of sale from the guy I bought it from) but no clue what that means or how long its good for. Can anyone explain?

2) Is it worth it? How many of you guys do it?

3) For those of you who do - where do you get it done in the GTA? I've heard that Krown is good - anyone had any experience with it??

Thanks for all the feedback in advance,
Al

Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Back when I kept my rides long enough, I used Krown R/prevention and liked it a lot.
The factory application of R/prevention isn't very extensive, and I'd seriously consider Krown for a good preventative.
C.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Heya - as Colin mentioned the factory undercoating is only so-so and is probably near worthless after a couple winters. I'd say that if you do a lot of winter driving and plan on keeping the car 5+ years (after its build date, that is) it is probably a wise idea to invest in the Krown undercoating.

Just an fyi - if you do plan on driving a lot do yourself a favor and get winter tires (if you haven't already). I can't stress enough how much of a difference they'll make, not to mention being much safer.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't used Crown but have heard good things about them. I had the dealer do mine with Permashine. It's a cross between a wax and grease and seems to work well. I need a yearly inspection $25 where they will touch up usually for nothing.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Picus112: LOL, fer sure bud, I'm DEFINITELY shopping for winter tires - my old car was a '95 240SX and I had 2 sets for that too. Summers are great, but any idiot I see driving on them in snow is just hilarious. I won't be one of those I assure you.

RBull: That sounds pretty damn cool - how much is the first actual cost (seeing that its only $25 a year to check up)?

OK, well thanks for all the initial feedback - I'm going to seriously have to consider it now!

Al

Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by kamikazeiG35
Picus112: LOL, fer sure bud, I'm DEFINITELY shopping for winter tires - my old car was a '95 240SX and I had 2 sets for that too. Summers are great, but any idiot I see driving on them in snow is just hilarious. I won't be one of those I assure you.

RBull: That sounds pretty damn cool - how much is the first actual cost (seeing that its only $25 a year to check up)?

OK, well thanks for all the initial feedback - I'm going to seriously have to consider it now!

Al
I had it thrown in with my car purchase along with the paint protection, seats and floor-$599 retail. I think the undercoat retailed at $299. It's a long story but the dealer messed up and owed me something. I got a car cover and that stuff thrown in. There is a lot of mark up in the undercoating so you will likely find something similiar for a lot less. I know them where they do the touch ups and they're pretty generous and thorough with my car.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey Deane, do they do the car w/o punching holes ?
In the OLD days ........
they'd punch holes & put plugs all over the damn place

Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Hey Deane, do they do the car w/o punching holes ?
In the OLD days ........
they'd punch holes & put plugs all over the damn place
No holes punched Ian. There are a few door holes there now they use. I believe it only covers the lower part and bottome of the door however. (The most vulnerable spots) They do not do inside the rear quarter panel for example so that's another reason why there is no holes. They did a very thorough job underneath however- everything but the exhaust is done. Even the springs that have to come out.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Thanks Deane,
I was considering this as well.....just depends

Old 12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Rated M

I think I know about your "depends" part and we're not talking diapers.

I've usually kept new car purchases for quite a number of years so it's peace of mind for me and some extra value when the car is sold, especially when the rest of it is in such good shape. Our climate seems to accelerate rust too.

It's messy if you're working underneath however.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by RBull
I think I know about your "depends" part and we're not talking diapers. ............
hahahaha..... ROFLMAO

Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Rated M

hahahaha..... ROFLMAO

Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Ian,
Would this type of spraying concern you, particularly with all the custom sound proofing you have installed in your doors and such. Whether they drill holes or not, even using an existing opening, isnt' there a risk that they could spray your dynamat insulation? Sorry if its a dumb question... just came to mind.
Al

Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by kamikazeiG35
Ian,
Would this type of spraying concern you, particularly with all the custom sound proofing you have installed in your doors and such. Whether they drill holes or not, even using an existing opening, isnt' there a risk that they could spray your dynamat insulation? Sorry if its a dumb question... just came to mind.
Al
LOL...U read my mind...
I don't know....def wouldn't want it to release the bond!

Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Rated M

LOL...U read my mind...
I don't know....def wouldn't want it to release the bond!

Highly doubt that would be an issue at least with the product used on my car. Certainly the company offering the service could provide their opinion and details on the product itself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WINTER DRIVERS: Does anyone get yearly rustproofing done? (ie. Krown)