Canada Serving Canada.

Snow/2000km report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow/2000km report

I finally broke the 2000km break in mark.. yes, 1.5 months after I got the car. I hardly drive anywhere these days!

It's like a whole different car up there above 4k RPM now.. i can't believe it. It just keeps pulling in first, 2nd, 3rd, all the way up to redline.. amazing! The engine sounds are just amazing up there too. I haven't had the opportunity to check her out much above those speeds though.. looking for to the summer time when I can put real tires on.

As for the snow.. we didn't get hit very much at all in KW as gsedanmann said... I'm actually in Mississauga right now and there's more than 2x the snow here than in KW. I have Blizzak LM-22s on and they've done a decent job. However, with any sort of medium acceleration from a stop on slightly snowy ground, the traction control kicks in (I was caught off guard by the metallic "pinging" noise the first time, but you get used to it on snowy roads :P) The ABS feels a lot different from my previous cars too, so I recommend people to try it out because instinctively, my reaction was to let go of the brake the first time I felt it.

I might try some sand in the back, but I don't think it's really necessary if you're driving around at normal speeds with snow tires. Although many times when I leave the driveway (forwards), I get a bit of fishtailing going over the snow that the plows have left. Still, I can't imagine what it would be like with summers on.

Say, how are people's milage in the winter? I think they add a lot more ethanol to the gas here during the winters, which can reduce mileage I think... I'm getting like 16-19 mpg, with about 1/2 city 1/2 highway. Hopefully it'll improve in the summer and after the breakin...

Old 01-05-2003, 09:49 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Snow/2000km report

Hey TQ , nice to hear from you. You've probly gathered that I'm picking up my Coupe on Tuesday. Wow- I like!!!!!!!! I dropped in yesterday when they delivered it to Brantford Nissan and checked it over real close. Off loaded with 10 km,
gassed up with Petrocan Premium (like I asked them to) for a total of 14 km right now sitting in the detail bay. By the way I've used Petrocan Premium (91 Octane) in the Sedan since new without incident. I got a best of 32 MPG back in the summer on a trip to Peterborough and back (500km total) which I thought was good for a 'performance car'. Now in the winter with warm ups and all, mileage is down to 22-23. Looks like the cold really kills mileage. I've noticed that the fuel requirement on the Coupe is different than the Sedan and am wondering if the 91 Octane is going to be sufficient. I like Petrocan because it's got Techron which is reckoned to be one of the best 'cleaners'. and also the same as the good fuels in the U.S. Someone in GTA was using Sunoco because they have 93 Octane. I used to use Sunoco some time ago but changed because of the Manganese A/K compound they use caused my Contour's exhaust to smell like rotten eggs. For now I'm sticking with Petrocan, but like you, I'd like to know what everyone's using.
Sounds like the 6M/T really Hauls A$$? Did you drive the Sedan at all b4 you bought the Coupe? Big diff? By the sounds of things I'll notice the extra 20 ponies if my A/T Coupe. What I'm really looking forward to is the new algorythm on the automatic: No matter what speed you're going, when you shift to 'M' the box stays in the same gear instead of defaulting to 4M. The shifting is a little firmer on the Coupe and a little quicker so that you can actually shift at 6k and not hit the limiter. EEEKKKK
First thing I must do on Tuesday is install my Yokohama snow tires. I 'guess' the Michelin Pilots might be a little useless in this weather-------LOL
Looks like these cars need a little 'feathering' in the snow> There's been a lot of "poor in the snow" reports from many different guys with different snows. I think It's probly more the driver/car than the tires IMO. I hope my Yokohamas are good too. Time will tell. :P) Try starting in 2nd gear or even 3rd from a stop on snow-- that should help with excess wheelspin.
(Just a thought).
Must go. Didn't sleep much lately (Coupe Hangover). Gotta get my strenghth up to Zaino b4 'salting' hahaha ...Later

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan 7, then D/G Coupe)

Old 01-06-2003, 06:53 AM

I haven't used Petrocan because they've only got 91 octane.. i've used Esso 92, Sunoco 94, and Pioneer 93.. no noticiable difference really, and no rotten eggs smell yet. I'm guessing the cold weather and the winter additives really kill mileage.. I've got my spreadsheet so we'll see how things change

Old 01-08-2003, 01:22 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't realize you bought the Navi. That's so awesome isn't it. A real handy tool in so many ways.. enjoy

Gsedanman-- Silverstone Coupe

Old 01-09-2003, 12:08 AM

Nope, didn't get the navi.. i just keep track of how much i fill up and how much i've driven

Old 04-10-2003, 03:02 AM

Did anyone of you get rustproof done in Ontario?
can you recommand some good shops?

Old 04-10-2003, 09:37 AM
b0h

GSedanman, i've beeen actually wanting to ask you for a long time

how did youg et rid of your sedan and get a coupe?
trade in? or did you plainly buy another car?

how much money did you have to throw in?
can i get exact numbers, cause i'm dying of curiousity

b0h

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.