CarPC + OEM nav hybrid set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPC + OEM nav hybrid set up

My conceptual set up is ever evolving especially when many products are on the brink of being brought to market or in their infancy (AOpen Pandora, SD).

At first I just wanted to get the DW screen housing and some pc either underneath the seat or in the trunk. I have a full size spare so the G35 spare tire case won't work for me.

Now, as my budget seems to increase, I was wondering the following:

How feasible or possible would it to be to get an 06 stock nav console (no dvd), rip out the stock LCD, and put a xenarc in there for the motorized screen. Also, to make it look better, somehow strip the stock nav controls so you get a hybrid between the non-nav and nav consoles.

Then put the AOpen pandora box in the upper glove box and have it connected to the now Xenarc nav screen.

I figured if I'm going to pay $750 for a screen housing, might as well make it motorized.

So what parts would be needed to achieve this. Would the AC controls pose a problem?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple of things.

First, this is definately something that if God_of_CPU could answer accurately. He knows more about fitment and fabrication int he g35 then probably most (if not all) on here. He's cool about helping others with questions like this, even if it means indirectly they aren't looking at buying his housing.

Second, the stock G35 nav screen is not motorized. I believe it's spring loaded. There is virtually no space in that area of the car to fit the necessary items for making it motorized.

Third, you will need to fabricate some sort of pocket/bracket for the screen to mount onto and some sort of top plate, I think.... At least with the coupe, the top part of the nav screen makes up part of the top part of the dash where it comes out. With a non-nav coupe, you get a lid and a pocket. I would think if you have a non-nav g35, you have the pocket & lid, meaning you would need to convert this to a plate that the screen would motor out of.

It's going to be a LOT of work and probably more than $700. But I'm interested to see what you find out.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah I'm sure god_of_cpu could help. I'm sure he's busy in the dungeons of SD coding away hehe.

First off, the fact that it's not motorized is actually good. I don't want to have to fool with that, but the effect of it, as I remember, is that it looked motorized. I've only seen it in action once, so I maybe be just hyping it up.

Secondly, it probably would be best to have the OEM nav console replace the non-nav console for the exact reason you pointed out. The coupe and sedan nav system are one and the same. BUT, what I'm pondering is that the control panel for the nav is removable and able to be replace with a solid plastic cover... So basically, you'll have a nav console, minus the control button panel and nav functionality. No wiring of nav equipment, just stereo and AC. I know this part doesn't exist in the non-nav console because the lid takes place of this region.

I don't really have anything to look at except the Inifinit website, and I'm at work, and my Infiniti service manual is at home.

Where would one go to get a 06 nav console? lol I'm sure that's a hell of a lot to ask for.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 AM
My 05 sedan is motorized (both the car and the OE nav screen).

Old 02-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
If I were doing it all again, I think I still would go with the non-motorized DW housing + screen (+ StreetDeck of course). See mp3car.com - I think they offer this as a bundle.

I would consider the motorized fold away unit (which is the standard hardware package for streetdeck right now) and do a double din conversion, with the screen in the top slot and the Aopen Pandora in the bottom slot - all in one neat package, but I don't like the idea of the screen being so low. The higher it is the less you have to take your eyes off the road.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think your costs are just going to be way way too high to get this done the way your describing it. Just the navi panel from infiniti is going to cost an arm and a leg. It would be a sweet setup, but as far as the standard DW screens, I myself rarely even tuck it in the cubby hole. It looks stock and doesn't seem to attract much attention when its off.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:01 PM
This has been my plan for my next G (whenever that is)

Only problem is locating the stock navi housing and purchasing it without the navi equipment. Auto dismantler may be able to source one from a totaled G

Old 02-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Second, the stock G35 nav screen is not motorized. I believe it's spring loaded. There is virtually no space in that area of the car to fit the necessary items for making it motorized.
Since 05 its been motorized