DW 700V Ribbon cable...HEELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DW 700V Ribbon cable...HEELP!!!

Hey guys,

I've had the digital wheels 7'' xenarc for about 4-6 months. Since I first got it I have had problems with the ribbon cable. The ribbon cable which attaches to the board inside the cubby keeps coming loose. And rather than remove my entire dash to replace it I have been lucky in squeezing my hand into the cubby hole, replacing the brown clip the past 2 times. Well I have been lucky a third time however I think the ribbon cable is bad. Regardless of the position I get it in, the screen shows white only. I want to know if I can buy a replacement cable and where. In addition, do I need to buy an entirely new screen?? I am reaaally getting annoyed with the screen ribbon coming out. What happens is the latch mechanism is loose and if I hit a few bumps the screen crashes back down into the housing causing the ribbon to come loose....I am not sure if this can be resolved by getting a new ribbon. If not I may have to resort to getting a new screen, but if a new screen will have this same problem than I will just cut my losses....

HEELP!!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was answered in another thread.

If you double post, at least update your other thread saying you got an answer.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
my bad dude...

Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have had both issues before...here are the solutions I used. Emai godofcpu for a replacement extended cable....and as far as the latch magnet coming loose....twist the back magnet slightly so it creats more pressure on the cubby lid. It should stay in place after that.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
^ what he said - there is a longer cable available. Go to www.digitalwheelz.com and send Chuck and e-mail. He will get one right out to you. You might want to readjust the magnet so that it is VERY tight fitting. You won't have any problems with the longer cable - it is easier to get in because it is longer, but I have found it is also stiffer so you need to make some bends at the right spots before trying to squeeze your hand into that tight spot.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey do any of you have a nice G35 or Infiniti skin for either Frodoplayer or Centrafuse? I was going to go with FP, but I might try CF instead.

Dave

Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 PM
guys i had the longer ribbon cable, in addition i ordered another from mp3car.com. i measured them and they are both the same length. i still had a hell of a time trying to get this ribbon cable in. either the side inside the screen housing comes out, or the side inside the cubby hole pops out. And I am not about to rip apart my dash again, so I attempt to get it back squeezing my hands into the cubby hole which is a VERY difficult task. In the event this ribbon cable pops out again I am selling this DW screen. Another thing is that if/when I try to lower the screen back into the cubby hole, the screen housing catches the ribbon cable pushing it back out and it ends up as same $hit diff. toilet having to get the ribbon back in....at this point its too much of a headache trying to squeeze in a little brown clasp into a small *** space. And the thing I fear most is while trying to clasp the brown piece in with the ribbon in place the brown little piece falls into the abyss (my dash somewhere and is never found...). I already ordered one from xenarc...but I cant keep going through this process....

there has to be a simpler way....

Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Have you tried glue or tape over?

Old 03-18-2006, 01:42 PM
i have tried tape...the problem with tape is once the unit is on the tape gets warm/hot and loses its stickyness. i have tried electrical, double sided, just about any kind. xenarc informed me to put hot glue over the connection...I am just reeeallly hesitant to open up my dash again, warm up hot glue and put it over the brown clip inside the cubby area. i just have a feeling the clamp parts where the ribbon cables attach to the board are all loose and even after placing the clips on, they slide out w/ the smallest bump/impact.

if someone can verify hot glue over both parts of the ribbon cable once secured and the screen working...I'll go ahead and disassemble and try that...

Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We now use Goop on all new screens to permenantly secure the cable to the clip to solve this problem. It shoudl work for you too, but will probably be very difficult to do without taking out the screen. Also, the ribbon cable should be folded so that it doesn't get caught on the screen when moving it in and out.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
chuck, can you please provide some insight into the 'goop'?? i am willing to rip apart my dash once again if i KNOW 100% that this stuff will prevent me from any further ribbon cable problems!! Where can i buy some and what do I need to do to get this stuff on!?!?

In addition I am wary of putting glue/adhesives on the board/ribbon. Do I simply insert the ribbon cable all the way...make sure the screen is working w/ ribbon inserted THEN apply glue all over the cable/fastener??

Last edited by pdjafari; 03-20-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:04 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...ve-680533.aspx

The screen should be working first, the goop just secures it a keeps the cable from coming out.