Apple goes XP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apple goes XP

Apple just announced they will be releasing "Boot Camp" that will allow Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Get yourself a new Mac Mini with an intel duo processor, run XP, have yourself a "hybrid" CarPC, claim you own a hybrid

Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha good call! I noticed this today as well. Too bad I am in the middle of finalizing my CarPC install!

Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Ditto.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Apple just announced they will be releasing "Boot Camp" that will allow Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Get yourself a new Mac Mini with an intel duo processor, run XP, have yourself a "hybrid" CarPC, claim you own a hybrid
There are several instructions on the web for dual-booting XP and OS X on the new intel macs (you will have 2 seperate partitions on the hard drive). All you need is the windows XP CD, no need for apple software. I have a MacBook Pro (the first intel-based mac laptop) and am going to do it soon to run windows applications, but not for car purposes. Navi + DVD + back-up Cam is enough for me.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Yes, users had already devised a hack for dual booting (though last I heard this was brand new and no one had verified it). Regardless, from what I've read, "Boot Camp" from Apple makes it extremely simple, unlike the hack procedure that was recently released. Again, all hearsay, but I dunno what people would have against using Boot Camp from Apple, it's free afterall and provides a really nice API framework (and even the drivers needed for the stock Apple hardware within XP)...

Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Only problem is lack of drivers

Dont know how this effects functionality

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 AM
I bought a dual core mini 3 weeks ago to put in my G. I'm still finalizing the install in the glove box and will post pics when i'm done. I put boot camp on it this weekend and was very impressed with the setup. The key reason I did this was that I couldn't find any good GPS software on the Mac, or any drivers that work with my BU-353 USB reciever for the Intel Macs. So far the GPS works great, just need some PC GPS software like iGuidance because using Route 66 for the Mac was painful. As well as the lack of touchscreen drivers for the intel macs. I'd prefer to only run OSX but i'll have to wait for 10.5 to have built in XP virtualization.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gmachine
I bought a dual core mini 3 weeks ago to put in my G. I'm still finalizing the install in the glove box and will post pics when i'm done. I put boot camp on it this weekend and was very impressed with the setup. The key reason I did this was that I couldn't find any good GPS software on the Mac, or any drivers that work with my BU-353 USB reciever for the Intel Macs. So far the GPS works great, just need some PC GPS software like iGuidance because using Route 66 for the Mac was painful. As well as the lack of touchscreen drivers for the intel macs. I'd prefer to only run OSX but i'll have to wait for 10.5 to have built in XP virtualization.
10.5 will have XP virtualization? Do you have any more info on this? How are they getting this to work?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Jwise,

I read it when I downloaded Boot Camp. There are a few stories on digg too.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/