Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

? for Picus - Others may benefit from answer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
? for Picus - Others may benefit from answer

I have posted on Autopia and Meguiars with little luck. However, with your experience with black G35's I am looking for your input. I have what can best be described as "dots" on or in my paint. Most people wouldn't notice them, but I do. With the right light (usually flourescent), they are very noticeable. In sunlight, less so. Almost makes the paint look metallic. I cannot get them out, with the exception that I wetsanded a chip repair and removed them in the area around the chip. This leads me to believe that they can be removed. I have tried #83 and #80 with no luck. I saw that a couple others on Autopia and Meg's had a similar problem, but I never saw a resolution to the problem. One person on Autopia suggested the Blackfire polish for ceramic clearcoats. I'm a little leary about trying that. Any suggestions? Although directed to Picus, anyone else with ideas please respond.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would keep trying different products with stronger abrasives. Ift he wetsanding got it out, then it should be able to be removed via polishing, although it may not always be the case. Do you have any pics?

I recebtly bought some Menzerna products and like them alot. Maybe some IP with a cutting pad will do the trick or if that doesn't work some PG (Power Gloss) Just remember that if you need to use a heavier polish, you will need to follow up with less abrasive polishes n pads to bring the shine back.

Many folks on autopia have had great results with Optimum products as well which allow for longer work times then Menzerna offers. This weekend I plan on polishing my G with teh Menzerna line and using a lil RMG mixed in for longer work times and less dusting. Hopefully it works!

Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, I'd try the clay bar first. I once removed white line paint from my wife's car. It had been there for months and would not scrape off with a finger nail, but the clay took it off with a few strokes. It's great stuff to pull anything off the paint without polishing or sanding.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are the dots? If they're on the hood/fenders than odds are it's divets in the clear coat from stone chips. Almost every car I detail has these, and under the right light they are pretty apparent. The only way to get rid of them is heavy compouding and/or wetsanding, but be aware if you do wetsand you'll need to remove a lot of clear to get results.

If it's in other areas in the paint (that don't make sense as rock chips), then it is a little puzzling. I would do what Diesel suggested, get a heavy compound like Menzerna PG or Opt Hyper on a yellow pad and give one area a try. If it works, continue; just be aware again that you will get haze and will need to clean it up with a lighter polish. If the PG/OCH don't do it then it's probably best to leave them alone.

RE: the blackfire polish (I assume they meant the lesser abrasive of thw two), it's just Menzerna PO106FF, which I use very frequently. This of it like Menzerna Final Polish II that finishes down even better. It's very safe to use and you get good results, but it is a finishing polish. So this is what I would personally try, in this order:

1) Make sure clay doesn't do anything. Sounds like you've tried it and it won't.
2) Menzerna PG/Opt Hyper on a yellow, if succes go to step 3, if not move to step 4:
3) Menzerna FPII/PO60FF or Opt Polish on a white to clear up haze
4) You could *try* wetsanding more of the area with the dots, however like I mentioned, it might not be worth the clear you lose in exchange.
5) Re-seal.

Good luck!

Last edited by Picus; 06-16-2006 at 04:48 PM.