Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Perma Seal wax SCREWED my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Perma Seal wax SCREWED my car

Ok so I was at the auto show in Cleveland back in March.. I love to look at the vendors and see all the neat revolutionary new products on the side (I'm a sucker for those As Seen on TV things...)

Anyway I approach this PERMASEAL wax vendor. He's doing the show as normal..shows the shiny hood he is demonstrating on (that probably had a bazillion coats of wax on it), does someone's random key and makes it look new, etc. You know the fluff. Anyway, when he gets done I'm sold so i pick up a pack (2 Wax bowls and 2 cleaner wax scratch remover bottles for $20). A random guy next to me even is like "Hey man this stuff works i LOVE IT" probably a set up.

I completely forgot I bought it and just tried it the other day. Maybe I didnt apply it correctly or something, but when I got done and pulled it out into the sun, it was SO HAZY and had all these Haze streaks all over the car...ALL OVER THE CAR.

I'm gettin married here in about 5 weeks and I'm using my black coupe as the "Get away car" instead of a limo (I think its more classy ) It looks like CRAP now and i'm like ashamed to drive it.

Does anyone have an advice on how to get it back to normal? I.e.
Do i use Dawn diswashing liquid and take off all the wax?
Can I just go back over it using a better wax (i love NXT)?
Should I take it in to get professionally detailed?

What's your opinion....

PS. Stay clear of this wax. Its garbage.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Clar Bar and Dawn works well. Dawn it first and then clay bar it. Youll be back to normal

Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Problem with using Dawn that I'm afraid of is -- we get some pretty harsh winters up here in Ohio sometimes...I like the idea of having multiple coats of wax on there for protection like it has now...what if I Dawn it, and remove the wax, and I rewax and miss a spot .. wont that leave it open to corruption?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sort of towels are you using to wax? Those bags of terry towels you find in the automotive sections are horrible at removing wax and, despite claims of 100% cotton, they will cover your finish with swirls and scratches. Took me years to realize these "100% cotton" towels were anything but and they were screwing up the finish.

Also, might you have used too much? A hardly noticeable film is all it takes with wax and polish. Not looking to create a shell, just need to add a thin layer.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 AM
TLS
^ I will never wax my car without Micro fiber towels again. I used to use old t-shirts or terry cloths to remove wax and does not remove them very well. terry cloth takes more effort and time. Also leaves wax dust all over your car.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
yeah I used terry towels...i need to take some pics to show but like it just looks very unfinished...Maybe I didnt scrub it off hard enough?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
+1 on the claybar and dawn. Just do like 1-2 more coats b4 the summer is over and your good for the winter.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ +1.

If you are that worried about not having enough "protection" for the harsh winters, all you have to do is spend a bit of extra time, and apply a few extra coats of wax. You can be like me, and wash your car every saturday, and apply another coat of wax with each washing

(Ok, so I don't really wash every saturday, but I used to.... At least twice a month 2 coats each, and you should be set for winter )

Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't worry about it at all. Trust the dawn + claybar, and just do two coats of wax, one panel at a time, and you won't miss anything.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
The haze.. can you explain it? How was the weather like? I know if it's too humid like certain days in New England, it won't come off.

Wash and spray wax NXT and just give it a good buff off.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Polishing the G can be tricky and the right combination of pads and polishes are crucial for a A1 job. Can you post some pics?

PICUS and G35Stilez on here can give you great advice on polishing.

I have a feeling that the scratch remover was a very heavy abrasive which didn't breakdown properly by hand. You can do a quick fix with probably some Mequires Scratch X (For a small area) or what Iw ould do is pick up a PC and some pads and polish. Spend the day polishing and sealing and your car will look better then it did when it left the dealer for your wedding!

Toatl investment for PC, pads, and polishes and some MF's will be around 2-300, but it will pay for itself in no time!

The G has soft finicky paint which is often a lil difficult to polish. Always finish it off with the finest pad and the finest polish possible before sealing and you will have stellar results!

Check out the posts from PICUS on here. He did his car about 9,000 times and several forum members. He is well versed in how to handle G35 paint!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe you just didn't completely buff it out to remove the excess wax. I would go back with a cloth and keep buffing it out in one spot to see if that's it. If that spot becomes nice and shiny you know what it is.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:52 PM
+1 on the multiple coats after Dawn.

Also, I took the tips from Zaino's site very seriously, and I'm so glad I did. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought some really nice bath towels and hand towels (for washing). If you stay away from the Persian/Egyptian cotton and stick ONLY with the 100% USA Cotton, Made-in-the-USA, you'll be happy. When wet, these good towels are so soft that it would take debris getting trapped in the towel to cause a scratch. I look them over before and while using.

I use the Wamsutta brand. Top-of-the-line is their Persian cotton, so stick to the 2nd-to-top choice that's 100% Made-in-the-USA, USA Cotton towels. No a single scratch or spiderweb on the entire car, and all I use are Zaino's carwash, polish and detail spray.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 PM
in my opinion... if you can find a good detailer in your area, get him to do it, its your wedding man, you dont wanna leave in a hazed up car do u???

but if you plan on doing it yoursef, dawn dishsoap, clay, polish (since its black), i would suggest sealent because it last longer and from what ive eard gives better protection

Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what's everyone's favorite SEALER? is NXT a sealer? and do you guys put wax over top of your sealer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Perma Seal wax SCREWED my car