Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

whats the best way to wash your rims and tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the best way to wash your rims and tire?

is regular dawn or car soap and water fine? and for the tire to stay that factory slick wet black look, whats the best way? i remember on my old car the tire would look dull and turn brown, whats the best way to keep them black and nice n shiny?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: whats the best way to wash your rims and tire?

To clean my rims, I use concentrated Simple Green. Pour it in a spray bottle and use it liberally. My dealer said a couple people have discolored their rims by using more harsh cleaners, and they really recommend Simple Green.

To clean my tires, I just use whatever car wash soap I'm using to get them cleaned off, then spray them down with a quick-apply slick-looking spray. The name escapes me, but it smells like cherries. I have a gravel driveway [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] so I just do the sides of the tires, as the tread gets gray after just one trip down the driveway.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-14-2003, 10:34 AM

I use Zaino's Tire product. I don't remember the exact name but I think its "Perfect tire gloss". Anyway it doesn't make the tire too shiny and fake looking but rather gives it a natural look that is very clean almost like the way it looks when the tire is brand new. Personally I don't like my tires to be too shiny because it takes away from the look of the wheels.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's

Old 10-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I agree with Sammy on this one. There was a car at Vandy that had an owner that probably put black shoepolish and hairgel on its tires every morning. Sick. The spray I use basically shines like crazy for about 10 min until it starts to dry out, then it just leaves that "new tire" look.

There are some products out there that you apply much like a wax-- apply some cream, spread it around the tire, and buff it off a bit. The one I use is: Spray on, wait til it dries, admire car.

G

Old 10-14-2003, 04:26 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use Eagle One AtoZ wheel cleaner, i spray it on both the rims and tires. All dirt and grime is removed without having to touch the tire

to dress up the tire, i use armor all (gold cap kind) and i use a sponge applicator. ALWAYS use a sponge applicator and only dress the sidewalls, never dress the entire tire itself.

i take a couple of foam dabs of the armor all onto the spong applicator and i whipe that all around the sidewalls. This way you are using less armor all and also, no more splatter and you get a bit less shine (which is what i want)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-14-2003, 04:42 PM

That's an important point.. only do the sidewall. Do not dress up the tire tread. Those slick-looking sprays are also rather slick.. many of them are silicone-based. It'll severly reduce the tire's traction on the road, which is, of course, a Bad Thing<sup>TM</sup>.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-14-2003, 05:03 PM

I used Eagle One A2Z and it didn't work very well for me. Even using that in combination with Dawn and a microfiber towel wouldn't remove some of the grime from the wheels. I'll try Simplegreen and see what happens.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Use whatever works best for you-- I was thinking of trying out the EagleOne cleaner, too. The only reason I've avoided some of the harsher chemicals is that my tech said a few people have discolored their wheels with some of them as they try to remove brake dust. Good luck!

G

Old 10-14-2003, 08:03 PM

I use Eagle One A2Z for the rims and Meguiars Endurance for the tires. Always looks sharp!

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Geo, if you follow the directions on the bottle, then your wheels will not discolor and clearcoat will not get eaten thru!

With EagleOne A2Z... you apply to a cool wheel, wait 30 seconds (this is key) and then hose off with a high pressure nozzle. It will get off 90% of break dust.
With the wheel still wet, i take 1 sheet of paper towel to whipe the rest of the 10% remaining dust, then rinse with water 1 more time.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-16-2003, 02:46 PM

I'm using something that is Like "orange blaster" for my wheels. It's got the "new sticker" on the side of it, and it's in a big orange bottle. I've tried a bout everything *but* zaino, and I like this one the best. For my tires I use Meguires tire gel and those foam pads you get for like a dollar that are curved.. *soak* the pad with the gel, then rub on in an even motion. Do two coats and that bad boy will have the new tire look for weeks (just like it says).
If there are two products i've always been searching for the best in is my tire & rims.. and those are the two best I've found so far

Btw... that cherries one is Black Magic Tire Wet.. great product, but only lasts for a couple days, and if you overspray it nastify's the entire side of your car. The black magic rim cleaner *sucks* (IMO).

Old 10-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Concur with the first two replies- I do the same- Simple Green then Zaino tire gloss- the Zaino lasts nicely and is not silicone based. It is claimed not to damage or crack rubber and soft plastic (like the black strips around the window frames and on the roof- I do those too from time to time as well). As for the SG, it seems a lot less harsh than many others, and if you accidently get some on the discs, as long as you spray it off well once your done cleaning, no probs. I go as far as reaching in and cleaning the inner portion of the wheel, since it is readily in sight, and that's where the SG really helps.
Oh yeah- Zaino the wheels with Z2 polish (at a minimum), and the brake dust literally jumps off when you clean. The difference between polished and unpolished for ease of cleaning is huge! I've Z5ed, Z6ed, Z2ed, and Z6ed the wheels, and holy flock cleaning is easy (not to mention the wheels look awesome!)

Cheers,
Derek

DB

Old 10-22-2003, 02:42 AM

is simple green safe on the clearcoat on your rims though?

Old 10-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

nyckid...

"As for the SG, it seems a lot less harsh than many others, and if you accidently get some on the discs, as long as you spray it off well once your done cleaning, no probs. I go as far as reaching in and cleaning the inner portion of the wheel, since it is readily in sight, and that's where the SG really helps."

sounds safe to me. lol the SG smell sort of makes me sick but i use it on mine.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 10-26-2003, 04:21 PM

Eagle One A2Z has worked great for my rims and tires..Alot of Rim and Tire Cleaners have some type of acid in their solution… so make sure that you buy a car wash concentrate that is ph balanced ( I use Mothers California Gold)..This will neutralize the acid in the cleaning chemical...which in turn, will save your rims from haze/dulling/fading and discoloring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: whats the best way to wash your rims and tire?