Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do you wash your used LC pads.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i fill a bucket half way with soapy water...attach the pad to the pc...place pc in bucket, and let it rip!!!!

than once all the polish is removed, i just raise the wet pc and pad in the air and turn it on again and the water flys right off. instantly clean in about 2 minutes

Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you stick the machine with pad on it in the water?
And no i dont mean you stick the machine in the water also lol.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GThIrtYFiZle
So you stick the machine with pad on it in the water?
And no i dont mean you stick the machine in the water also lol.
yea, i used to soak it like everyone else...

the spin wash method is very messy tho...i only do it if im in a rush..

otherwise i spray the pad with simple gren and wash in the sink with my knuckles

Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal376
i fill a bucket half way with soapy water...attach the pad to the pc...place pc in bucket, and let it rip!!!!

than once all the polish is removed, i just raise the wet pc and pad in the air and turn it on again and the water flys right off. instantly clean in about 2 minutes
The idea of having a bucket of water inches from the elecrical cord is way to frightening for me. Please be careful. As for removing caked on polish, etc. while working, I just use a clean, old terry towel and press it into the pad while it is spinning. Seems to work okay. The brush will remove some of the more hardened polish along the edges.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a result of improved foam manufacturing technologies, foam pads have made great advances in performance and durability. Like their wool counterparts, foam pads must be properly cared for to insure consistent performance.

If the pad is new or dry, dampen the pad's surface by misting it with water. This will aid in compound/polish dispersion. If you're working with water-based formulas, continue periodic misting throughout the task.

Apply a very small amount of polish or compound in a ring around the middle or concave area of the pad (just enough for lubrication). Place the pad on the surface of the vehicle without turning on the machine. Rub the pad across a small area to be polished. This will disperse the product over the area and the pad. Turn the machine on low and slowly raise the speed. Work the product over the area until the product has disappeared. Repeat until you reach your desired result.

Foam pads will "load-up" with product at different rates, and will require wiping with a coarse towel. If the pad becomes dry or caked with compound/polish, spur the pad with a foam cleaning tool. We recommend our DuospurTM pad cleaning tool, which features nylon spur wheels that gently clean the foam without leaving any foreign particles on the pad's surface. Do not use the spurs recommended for wool pads.

When you are finished with a pad, place it in a bucket of car wash soap. This keeps your pads moist and begins the cleaning process while you finish detailing. Never allow a used pad to air dry before it is washed.

Washing foam pads is necessary after each use. This prevents the compound or polish from drying out or becoming caked in the foam. Hand wash in warm water with our Snappy Clean Citrus Degreaser or a mild detergent. Do not use high-foaming products like Dawn dish washing liquid. These powerful detergents will attack the adhesive backing and the foam is almost impossible to remove.

Do not machine dry foam pads. This will shorten the life of the pad. Do not twist or wring dry velcro backed pads. This weakens the backing's bond to the foam. Press the pad between your hands until the bulk of the water is eliminated. Finally, air dry pads in the open to avoid the formation of mildew.

Foam pads can become torn or out of balance. This not only shortens the useful life of the pad, but also produces uneven surface patterns requiring additional work. The foam can be rebalanced with our Duospur™ tool. The sides of the tool have an abrasive callus plate designed for simple grinding. Place the Duospur™ on a clean, dry surface as the pad spins on the buffer.

It is difficult to effectively spur pads on an orbital polisher. Remove the pad from the tool and hand wash in warm water using a mild detergent, then air dry. You can also move the pad to a rotary machine for spurring and rebalancing.