Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
My car is getting painted hot hues hot rod black which is a matte black. Since its a single stage paint and there is no clear, what precautions should I take and what products do you recommend for cleaning?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackus
My car is getting painted hot hues hot rod black which is a matte black. Since its a single stage paint and there is no clear, what precautions should I take and what products do you recommend for cleaning?
The main thing you should be aware of is to not protect the paint with a sealant or wax until your car has fully cured. Check with the shop for how long you should allow the paint to cure but generally its between 90 - 120 days depending on the shops technique and technology.

You can treat the single stage paint the same as a two stage paint with a clear coat, just keep in mind if you polish or sometimes when applying a product, the paint color can transfer onto your pad or applicator pad, but that is normal. You can still clay, polish, glaze, protect, etc. as you would with any other car.

Enjoy the new paint job, post some pics when your done, sounds like it'll look sharp!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Alan, I am sorry to hear that your BBK may have suffered, but I cannot see where the wheel cleaner was the direct cause of the problem. P21S Gel Wheel cleaner is a pH balanced cleaner and has been proven safe on wheels, calipers, suspensions, and clear coated surfaces for many years now. When detailing exotic cars, like Ferrari's, P21S is the only wheel cleaner pros trust on not damaging ceramic brakes costing over $10k. I'm sure we would have heard something prior to this incident about P21S if this were the case.

Were the brakes still hot when you used the product? Perhaps there a pre-existing problem with your calipers paint prior to using the P21S? It could have simply been a mfg defect with the paint. Did you use anything on your tires or wheel wells to degrease them and perhaps they got on to your calipers?

I'm not saying your wrong or the P21S didn't cause the damage, I just find it hard to believe that was the underlying cause. P21S has been around since the 80s and any time I've seen an issue with the product, it was either used incorrectly or there was a pre-existing condition on the wheels or whatever. I'd contact P21S about it and see what they say.
i can confirm that the brakes were cool and that no other product was used. for years, i have only used meguiars car soap on my wheels and brakes since i never wanted to risk damaging the finish on my wheels with a wheel cleaning agent (we have all heard the horror stories!) i chose to use p21s wheel cleaner because of the awesome reputation it had, and to be honest, it was accurate since the finish on my volks seems to be fine. when it comes down to it, p21s wheel cleaner reacts badly with the way that stoptech brakes are finished. hopefully somebody who has used this product with stoptechs can chime in with their experience.

i have contacted p21s and they have been very responsive so far and have requested additional details around the incident, including pictures. i will post pictures once i take some this weekend.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Alan
i can confirm that the brakes were cool and that no other product was used. for years, i have only used meguiars car soap on my wheels and brakes since i never wanted to risk damaging the finish on my wheels with a wheel cleaning agent (we have all heard the horror stories!) i chose to use p21s wheel cleaner because of the awesome reputation it had, and to be honest, it was accurate since the finish on my volks seems to be fine. when it comes down to it, p21s wheel cleaner reacts badly with the way that stoptech brakes are finished. hopefully somebody who has used this product with stoptechs can chime in with their experience.

i have contacted p21s and they have been very responsive so far and have requested additional details around the incident, including pictures. i will post pictures once i take some this weekend.
Keep us posted on what P21S has to say. Like you said perhaps it's just with the ST BBK's for some reason. Sorry again to hear about this, I didn't mean to jump to anything either, just one of the first I've heard of this. Thanks for the follow up.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used p21S on st bbk's before with no problem . I know a few others that had no problem as well . there are tons of people that use it on the detailing forums and never had a problem either .maybe your clearcoat was already failing when you used it ?There had to be some underlying cause .Its a very safe cleaner

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by the04coupe
I have used p21S on st bbk's before with no problem . I know a few others that had no problem as well . there are tons of people that use it on the detailing forums and never had a problem either .maybe your clearcoat was already failing when you used it ?There had to be some underlying cause .Its a very safe cleaner
thank you for providing another data point.

its really hard to say what the cause of this was. on one hand my brakes have always been treated well (never tracked or cleaned with anything but car soap), and on the other hand there are a lot of positive experiences in using p21s.

funny side note is that when i saw my wash mitt was red i thought i had maybe been cut and was bleeding into it!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
PLZ PLZ PLZ Mr. George i need your advice!!!!!!!!
i tried searching but I couldn't get anything close to my problem! My neighbors painted their house and my car was in the driveway and now i have thousands of white spots all over my car!!!!! they're really tiny but they wont wash off even when I scrub hard with the microfiber i get nothing off!!!!! So far i went over all my windows with a blade and got them off there but i cant do that with the paint!!!!!! PLZ PLZ PLZ help me out Mr. George or else i might take it out on my neighbors!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Claybar is your friend.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
@Blue Dream so you think if i follow the detailing guide instructions i should be ok.... Well since im going to but a clay bar kit i assume i should just go all the way and learn how to buff, polish etc. Or am i wrong?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
How in depth you want to get with your detailing is up to you. You can just wash, clay bar, and then wax if you want to. My philosophy though is to do a complete detail once a year and then do maintenance polishes and waxes the rest of the year. I just mentioned the clay bar as it might be a good way to remove the paint over spray. However, I've never tried it for that purpose so maybe George will clear this up for us.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Alan
thank you for providing another data point.

its really hard to say what the cause of this was. on one hand my brakes have always been treated well (never tracked or cleaned with anything but car soap), and on the other hand there are a lot of positive experiences in using p21s.

funny side note is that when i saw my wash mitt was red i thought i had maybe been cut and was bleeding into it!
Have you ever gone through automatic car washes? I forgot to ask that one I think...

Originally Posted by GOAT35
PLZ PLZ PLZ Mr. George i need your advice!!!!!!!!
i tried searching but I couldn't get anything close to my problem! My neighbors painted their house and my car was in the driveway and now i have thousands of white spots all over my car!!!!! they're really tiny but they wont wash off even when I scrub hard with the microfiber i get nothing off!!!!! So far i went over all my windows with a blade and got them off there but i cant do that with the paint!!!!!! PLZ PLZ PLZ help me out Mr. George or else i might take it out on my neighbors!
As Blue Dream mentioned, you'll want to properly clay your vehicle. I'd recommend a medium grade clay bar for paint over spray and be sure to rip off new pieces every panel or two otherwise you'll be grinding in the paint particles creating marring or scratches. Chances are you'll have some marring left behind any ways from using the medium grade clay, so I'd advise looking into at least a light polish whether it be by hand or with a buffer to bring back the finish to the paint. Follow the guide on properly claying and then decide how into the polishing you want to get. To do things right, you'll want to invest in a buffer, something like the Porter Cable 7424XP would be a great option or the Flex XC3401VRG. I'd look into either the Meguiar's M105 / M205 polishes or some Menzerna polishes like Power Finish and PO85RD to start.

Let me know if you need a hand putting together a package, we'll get your car in good shape in no time.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Have you ever gone through automatic car washes? I forgot to ask that one I think...
absolutely not! those are swirl-o-matics... i would even leave notes in my car saying "do not wash" whenever i had to take it to the dealer/mechanic

Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
So my buddy owns Eco Wash and it sounded pretty interesting. The fact that they dont use water is kinda creepy but after questioning the scientist (the guy who created the solutions for washing) i decided to let him give me a free wash.

I was extremely impressed actually. It was fast and externally efficient. And i watched him wash it up close and personal to see if anything was scratching.. None

By all means do i know ANYTHING about detailing. So i was wondering If you, Detailed Image would take a quick look at this and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ecowash.com.au/Australia-...n-ecowash.html

Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrixR4kidz
So my buddy owns Eco Wash and it sounded pretty interesting. The fact that they dont use water is kinda creepy but after questioning the scientist (the guy who created the solutions for washing) i decided to let him give me a free wash.

I was extremely impressed actually. It was fast and externally efficient. And i watched him wash it up close and personal to see if anything was scratching.. None

By all means do i know ANYTHING about detailing. So i was wondering If you, Detailed Image would take a quick look at this and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ecowash.com.au/Australia-...n-ecowash.html

Looks to be the same thing as optimum no rinse (ONR) . A lot of people love it but there are still times that you need a proper wash . ONR is great to use as a QD and Clay lubricant too .

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
here are some pictures i took today of my brakes after p21s was used on my wheels. p21s was used only once and was left on the wheels/brakes for the time it took to mist each wheel and then rinse. the first picture is for reference to show what the finish used to look like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...