Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan
absolutely not! those are swirl-o-matics... i would even leave notes in my car saying "do not wash" whenever i had to take it to the dealer/mechanic
Figured I'd ask, sounds like you got the detailing bug and cover all basis. Thanks for providing the pics too, definitely can tell where the finish was compromised. Any word back from P21S?

Originally Posted by TrixR4kidz
So my buddy owns Eco Wash and it sounded pretty interesting. The fact that they dont use water is kinda creepy but after questioning the scientist (the guy who created the solutions for washing) i decided to let him give me a free wash.

I was extremely impressed actually. It was fast and externally efficient. And i watched him wash it up close and personal to see if anything was scratching.. None

By all means do i know ANYTHING about detailing. So i was wondering If you, Detailed Image would take a quick look at this and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ecowash.com.au/Australia-...n-ecowash.html
I'm sure it has it's place in mobile detailing, but it certainly wouldn't replace a traditional wash process when the car is very dirty. Without using water, there are very high risk of adding scratches and swirls. Even when using something like ONR, which is very popular, uses water, but without a water source, can still add swirls / marring when the car is very dirty or used improperly.

For a very light dusting, something like the EcoWash may be ok. It'd be similar to using Optimum Opti-Clean.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Figured I'd ask, sounds like you got the detailing bug and cover all basis. Thanks for providing the pics too, definitely can tell where the finish was compromised. Any word back from P21S?
haha yes, i definitely got the detailing bug pretty annoyed at myself since i knew there was always a risk in using wheel cleaners...

p21s has been very responsive so far... i sent them the pictures and they have asked for pictures of all 4 calipers, not just one.

on a different note i did the full leatherique treatment! it turned out fantastic. i highly recommend it to anybody here.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Detailed Image you have PM

Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
haha yes, i definitely got the detailing bug pretty annoyed at myself since i knew there was always a risk in using wheel cleaners...

p21s has been very responsive so far... i sent them the pictures and they have asked for pictures of all 4 calipers, not just one.

on a different note i did the full leatherique treatment! it turned out fantastic. i highly recommend it to anybody here.
Don't be mad at yourself, I would have done the same thing myself. There's always some amount of unpredictability in detailing and there's no such thing as perfect, so don't beat yourself up over it. Glad you liked the Leatherique, they usually don't disappoint! Have a great weekend.

Originally Posted by 35G'dUp
Detailed Image you have PM
Replied

Old 10-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Detailed Image;5432485]Don't be mad at yourself, I would have done the same thing myself. There's always some amount of unpredictability in detailing and there's no such thing as perfect, so don't beat yourself up over it. Glad you liked the Leatherique, they usually don't disappoint! Have a great weekend.

So what is the best method to clean the wheels? Would you recommend removing each wheel to clean or to cover the calipers when cleaning?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
update: p21s is saying that my calipers are stained and have offered to send me a polish to try and clean it up. thats nice and all, but i think we all know that its not going to cut it, given the level of corrosion on the pictures.

the tone of their messaging has changed since they are now pointing to environmental factors such as heat, age/miles of the calipers duration the agent was on, etc etc. i find this a bit disturbing since the only variable in the system was their wheel cleaner. hopefully p21s steps up.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by V's G
So what is the best method to clean the wheels? Would you recommend removing each wheel to clean or to cover the calipers when cleaning?
The BEST method would be to remove each wheel and detail them individually. We know that's not a possibility for everyone though. I personally think this is more of a unique incident rather than a problem with P21S in general. If it were an aggressive acidic wheel cleaner then I'd say cover things other than your wheels, etc and make sure it's rinsed off within 30 seconds or less.

update: p21s is saying that my calipers are stained and have offered to send me a polish to try and clean it up. thats nice and all, but i think we all know that its not going to cut it, given the level of corrosion on the pictures.

the tone of their messaging has changed since they are now pointing to environmental factors such as heat, age/miles of the calipers duration the agent was on, etc etc. i find this a bit disturbing since the only variable in the system was their wheel cleaner. hopefully p21s steps up.
Have you brought the issue to Stoptech's attention? I wonder what they'd have to say. Chances are they blame the wheel cleaner but I'd be curious.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George, I'm a brand new G35 owner and new on the board as well. It's a 2007 model and has the Bose sound system. The clear acrylic radio display is cloudy looking. Are there any cleaners or polish that will bring the clarity back, similiar to what we use on our headlamp covers?

Thanks !

Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I have completed my complete detail of my black G35 and I am really impressed with the results. I am now working on my wife's black Pathfinder and I am getting similar results. My focus is now going to be turning to how to keep the paint looking this great.

I really like PO106FA, this is an amazing polish. With the soft Infiniti paint, will this polish suffice as a "maintainance" polish if the swirls are not too bad or will I have drown to SIP? I have both black and white Lake County pad but I have not used the white as of yet. Could I use the white with PO106FA if the black pads won't remove all the swirls?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Jekal Hyde
Hi George, I'm a brand new G35 owner and new on the board as well. It's a 2007 model and has the Bose sound system. The clear acrylic radio display is cloudy looking. Are there any cleaners or polish that will bring the clarity back, similiar to what we use on our headlamp covers?

Thanks !
Grats on the G35 pick up. You could try something like Meguiar's PlasticX on a q-tip or edge of a MF cloth. The key is you don't want to apply much pressure because you could add additional marring. You want to start very light and monitor results as you go. Start in a very small area, assess, move on if it is working. The cloudiness could be a combination of scratches, swirls, or excess product hazed over.

Originally Posted by jkat13
I have completed my complete detail of my black G35 and I am really impressed with the results. I am now working on my wife's black Pathfinder and I am getting similar results. My focus is now going to be turning to how to keep the paint looking this great.

I really like PO106FA, this is an amazing polish. With the soft Infiniti paint, will this polish suffice as a "maintainance" polish if the swirls are not too bad or will I have drown to SIP? I have both black and white Lake County pad but I have not used the white as of yet. Could I use the white with PO106FA if the black pads won't remove all the swirls?
Glad to hear that the details turned out great for you. PO106FA is a great maintenance polish that isn't going to remove much clear coat. If you properly maintain the vehicles using good washing and drying techniques, chances are you can remove the swirls caused with the 106 and a black pad. If that isn't cutting enough for you, try to step up to the white pad. If it's still not enough, then you could venture into the SIP, but 106 alone even if it doesn't remove all of the deeper stuff, will still add a lot of gloss and depth to the paint which makes it perfect for that occasional polish without deep cutting / correction action.

Keep up the great work, let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George

Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi, i have a question regarding Egg yoke on the paint job. Someone threw 2 Eggs to my car. Most of it landed in the front windshield. I took that off already, but there was some around in the paint. I have washed it since, but i can still see some yoke around. I dont want to scrub a lot to decrease the swirls. What do you suggest to remove or to wash the car with?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by maclovio
Hi, i have a question regarding Egg yoke on the paint job. Someone threw 2 Eggs to my car. Most of it landed in the front windshield. I took that off already, but there was some around in the paint. I have washed it since, but i can still see some yoke around. I dont want to scrub a lot to decrease the swirls. What do you suggest to remove or to wash the car with?
If it's actual yoke still on the paint, then I'd probably wash it and clay it to remove it. If it stained your paint, then you'll probably have to resort to some sort of polish, I'd personally start with a chemical polish to see if that removes it, if not try a light abrasive polish. Those would be the steps I take to properly remove what is left. Keep us posted if you can remedy the problem.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
George, I FINALLY took the "plunge" and started a big polishing job on my black '05 G35. It was slow going as I'm new at this and there was a lot of paint correction that needed to be done, but using Menzerna polishes and the PC I was really happy with the results. Thanks again for all of your tips, I thought I'd never get the wet sanding scratches (from the previous owner) out of my hood but they're gone!!

I have three questions for you - first, when am I supposed to use the Top Inspection Spray? Is that to remove polish that may have accumulated in places where there's a paint chip or a crevice?

Second, when using the clay bar (a ClearKote with their clay bar lube, the bar is kind the same purple/blue color as the quote boxes on this forum, if that makes sense), I didn't notice any change in the resistance while moving the bar across the paint, nor did I notice it making any progress on one area where I have some overspray on my paint. Any suggestions?

Finally, on my front bumper there's an area where the paint finish looks kind of cracked, I assume from when the bumper deformed upon striking something. Is there any way to lessen the appearance of that or is a respray of the bumper the only fix?

Thanks!!
Jeff

Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by AVATAR77
George, I FINALLY took the "plunge" and started a big polishing job on my black '05 G35. It was slow going as I'm new at this and there was a lot of paint correction that needed to be done, but using Menzerna polishes and the PC I was really happy with the results. Thanks again for all of your tips, I thought I'd never get the wet sanding scratches (from the previous owner) out of my hood but they're gone!!

I have three questions for you - first, when am I supposed to use the Top Inspection Spray? Is that to remove polish that may have accumulated in places where there's a paint chip or a crevice?

Second, when using the clay bar (a ClearKote with their clay bar lube, the bar is kind the same purple/blue color as the quote boxes on this forum, if that makes sense), I didn't notice any change in the resistance while moving the bar across the paint, nor did I notice it making any progress on one area where I have some overspray on my paint. Any suggestions?

Finally, on my front bumper there's an area where the paint finish looks kind of cracked, I assume from when the bumper deformed upon striking something. Is there any way to lessen the appearance of that or is a respray of the bumper the only fix?

Thanks!!
Jeff
Hey Jeff, thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear that your first detailing session was a success!

As for the Menzerna Top Inspection, you can use it to help aid in polish removal and ensure a properly prepped finish prior to applying a sealant or wax. To do so, simply mist it on to your removal towel. You can also use it the way you described to help remove caked up product.

The ClearKote Clay is a pretty mild clay bar. Without degreasing the over spray first, it may have a tough time removing it. Next time around, for overspray, I would recommend a medium grade bar. You can try pre-treating the over spray with something like Stoner Tarminator, then claying after. That may do the trick.

Unfortunately, on the bumper, once impact damage is done to paint, there's not much to do to repair it by detailing. You'd probably have to have a body shop take care of that one by sanding down the area and respraying it.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Whats the best way to remove water spots? I just washed my car and it's still there.

It's all over my car and going over them one by one with scrachX is a pain. Even then, you can still see them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...