Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Is there a website or somthing that can lead me to dates and times of detail classes in my state (minnesota)???

I just ordered a porter cable and i'd love to learn how to use it properly..

Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I am planning on detailing my car soon and was wondering if this stuff is any good?
Or would you recommend something else, looking for something i could just pick and not have to order

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
-MN G Crew-

I have used it and it works pretty well.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
where the two clay bars enough for the whole car?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Epidel
where the two clay bars enough for the whole car?
I've also used this product and I got good results by only using one bar. I actually did the car twice with one bar before I threw it out. My car wasn't that bad off though, so YMMV.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by miltoda
I've also used this product and I got good results by only using one bar. I actually did the car twice with one bar before I threw it out. My car wasn't that bad off though, so YMMV.
thxs for the info!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 AM
-MN G Crew-

Yea, you can use 1 clay bar for multiple cars.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Can you also clay bar your headlights?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spots on chrome?

George,

I have water spots that are "baked" into the chrome around my side windows. They are almost a light brownish color now. I have seen various removal tips posted in other threads. I've already tried white vinegar and CLR - the CLR helped a little but not a lot. Obviously there is some etching going on so its not just a matter of removing the calcium. The most promising idea I've read is using a regular car polish on a rag and just rubbing the spots out. Any thoughts on this? (P.S. sorry if you've already addressed it - I searched but didn't see anything).

Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
George,

what do recommend for clear bra restoration? my clear bra is over three years old and shows a lot of fine scratches...guess cause it is so soft. I was thinking about either Meguiars Plastix or ScratchX. which would be the better choice or do you have a better idea.

thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Is there a website or somthing that can lead me to dates and times of detail classes in my state (minnesota)???

I just ordered a porter cable and i'd love to learn how to use it properly..
Not sure of any specific places that offers classes in Minnesota. You're best bet is to find a local enthusiast or professional (check Autopia.org regional sections or Detail University Find a Detailer) and try to meet up with someone who you can give you a quick 1 on 1 lesson. Otherwise, watch some online videos of the PC 7424 in action (try youtube) or pick up a scrap panel from a junk yard so you can experiment with various pads, polishes, amount of pressure, speed, etc.

I am planning on detailing my car soon and was wondering if this stuff is any good?
Or would you recommend something else, looking for something i could just pick and not have to order
Clay is clay for the most part, there are only a few manufacturers of it in the US so you're good to go. Local stores often have kits or you can order larger sized bars online to save in the long run. Most of the kit bars are 50g or 80g in size, where the ones we offer are 200g in size. Hope that helps.

Can you also clay bar your headlights?
Certainly, you can clay almost any surface of your vehicle, including plastic, glass, paint and wheels.

Originally Posted by AVATAR77
George,

I have water spots that are "baked" into the chrome around my side windows. They are almost a light brownish color now. I have seen various removal tips posted in other threads. I've already tried white vinegar and CLR - the CLR helped a little but not a lot. Obviously there is some etching going on so its not just a matter of removing the calcium. The most promising idea I've read is using a regular car polish on a rag and just rubbing the spots out. Any thoughts on this? (P.S. sorry if you've already addressed it - I searched but didn't see anything).
This can often be a lost cause. Your next step after trying the white vinegar and CLR is to go to some metal polishes or abrasive polishes that you'd use to remove swirls and other imperfections. If that doesn't cut it, I'd pick up some replacement trim if it bothers you that much, then work on protecting the new trim right from the get go so the water spots don't etch into the trim. If you are able to restore the trim after polishing, make sure you follow up with some sort of protection and keep up with it to minimize the chances of this happening again.

Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

what do recommend for clear bra restoration? my clear bra is over three years old and shows a lot of fine scratches...guess cause it is so soft. I was thinking about either Meguiars Plastix or ScratchX. which would be the better choice or do you have a better idea.

thanks.
You can treat it just like you would the paint. I've polished clear bras with a buffer and light finishing polishes to restore some of the clarity and to remove swirls and other light imperfections. Between the two, I'd think they'd perform pretty similar, they are both fairly mild polishes, but I'd give the PlasticX a try first. If that doesn't do the trick, look into a light finishing polish you'd use on the paint, I had good luck with Menzerna PO106FF last time I buffer a clear bra.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for some of the delayed replies, I've been out of town for the past 5 days.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
thanks George. I used the ScratchX followed by some Poorboy's polish with sealant. it did an okay job, but it might just be time to replace the clearbra. it looks like crap compared to the paint.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the Info!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry I never ended up buying the wheel sealant and I couldn't find the page where you recommended the right one. Was it poorboy's wheel sealant that you said would do the best job on my Sevas? They are painted face with a chrome lip. I want something that will make them easier to clean and maybe shine more, as well as protect from the rain/mud/calcium

Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
-MN G Crew-

Question: What wax/whatever would you recommend me using with my new Porter cable buffer? Do you use a liquid or paste? Im just looking for a good all around wax, not multiple ones for good/bad swirls or whatever. Just a nice median..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...