Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jtjohnny102
now there's 100 some posts and I'm sure someones asked but here are my questions or my requests for recommendations on a black on black ride. What would you recommend for the following.

leather conditioner? (was told to use anything that doesnt contain silicon)
vinyl conditioner?
polish?
wax?

I work at a detailing shop and the guys there have their opinions, i jus wanted to find out what you would use.
As mentioned in the previous post, Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and Blackfire Wet Diamond are both quality sealants offering much longer lasting protection than wax while being just as easy to apply.

A good all purpose wax that looks great on all finishes and that i personally use is Chemical Guys XXX Paste Wax

For polish on a black car most would recommend a 2 step detail. A great and effective 2 step polish would be Meguiars M105 on an Orange Light Cutting Pad followed up with Menzerna Final Finishon a White polishing pad

For leather, some of the best stuff available is Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, followed by Leatherique Pristine Clean

Last edited by Gdup35sedan; 01-26-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jtjohnny102
now there's 100 some posts and I'm sure someones asked but here are my questions or my requests for recommendations on a black on black ride. What would you recommend for the following.

leather conditioner? (was told to use anything that doesnt contain silicon)
vinyl conditioner?
polish?
wax?

I work at a detailing shop and the guys there have their opinions, i jus wanted to find out what you would use.
Leather
For leather cleaning and conditioning the leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator oil are the best I've used. I would highly recommend the DI Packages Leather Care 16oz to you or picking up the individual items.

Vinyl
You can also use the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil mentioned above can be used to help treat vinyl. For more regular care and UV protection try the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Polish
Polishes help remove swirls, oxidation, etc. so the clear coat is optically clear and vibrant. A skilled operator of a buffer can do a great job of working in a polish. We have some very safe and easy to use buffers, if interested please let me know. If you have a buffer I usually recommend a two step process with the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. If you just want to do it by hand just the M205. It will noticeably reduce the appearance of swirls, oxidation, etc. so you get that deeper and glossier looking finish.

Sealant
Waxes are great but a sealant will last much longer if you want the longest lasting protection. If you only want to apply one coat of protection I'd suggest a sealant instead of a wax. If you want both apply a sealant first and then apply the wax on top. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger are two of my favorites. Both apply with ease, look amazing and protect for months.

Wax
If you really want a wax try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax which is a great value. If your budget is a little higher the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax is absolutely awesome.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you think of the turtle wax ice? it seems to give a nice shine but it makes you work your *** off to remove the streeks. I do some part time detailing and I am looking for a product that will not leave white powder, easy to apply and remove. I dont like using buffers cause I dont want to take the chance of damaging the paint I use micro fiber towels is one brand better than the other? what is a good wax I can buy at a local parts store? mothers? meguiers? other?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by vp-g
what do you think of the turtle wax ice? it seems to give a nice shine but it makes you work your *** off to remove the streeks. I do some part time detailing and I am looking for a product that will not leave white powder, easy to apply and remove. I dont like using buffers cause I dont want to take the chance of damaging the paint I use micro fiber towels is one brand better than the other? what is a good wax I can buy at a local parts store? mothers? meguiers? other?
A decent OTC wax would be Meguiars NXT Tech 2.0 Wax
It is easy on, easy off with the supplied foam pad. It will last last 3-6 weeks on average for protection.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question about a new product from Armor All (see link below). It is their Wheel Protectant. My friend has a new BMW and swears it is the greatest product to keep brake dust and grime away. My G35 Coupe has 19" rays. Is this product safe for my wheels?

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by vp-g
It's average at best in my opinion with limited durability. For local products look for the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0, which lasts longer and has more cleaning power.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I'm not particularly familiar with this product besides reading about it online, so I'd have to suggest you contact the mfg of your wheels with that question to be sure. Sorry I can't help more.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been using Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett as a sealant for awhile and was wondering how long you're supposed to wait before you buff it off? Usually I start from one side and just work my way around the car. Then when I make it back to the beginning, I start to buff it off.

The problem with this is that I can't just simply buff off the sealant with a microfiber.. I end up having to use Acrylic Jett Trigger on each spot in order to get the residue and marks made by the sealant and it's a pain because then I have to keep rubbing the spot in circular motions until it dries leaves a nice enough finish.

Is this normal?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by prinny
I've been using Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett as a sealant for awhile and was wondering how long you're supposed to wait before you buff it off? Usually I start from one side and just work my way around the car. Then when I make it back to the beginning, I start to buff it off.

The problem with this is that I can't just simply buff off the sealant with a microfiber.. I end up having to use Acrylic Jett Trigger on each spot in order to get the residue and marks made by the sealant and it's a pain because then I have to keep rubbing the spot in circular motions until it dries leaves a nice enough finish.

Is this normal?
Wait a minimum of 15+ minutes before buffing off the excess sealant. I do basically the same thing you do but sometimes you can get a little too fast with the removal. Sometimes I'll apply a tire dressing or something in between to kill time. Also be sure to apply the sealant nice and thin so it cures faster. Remember with most sealants you only need about 1oz to do a medium size car. Otherwise I'm not sure why that product is so challenging to remove. If you ever want to try something new that is definitely easy to work with try the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. It's very durable, easy to use and looks amazing on all colors.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
I recently got a Makita rotary buffer could you recommend some pad/polish combos that are on the less aggressive side, as I've never polished with a rotary and don't want to do any damage while I'm learning.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by johnnyd6404
I recently got a Makita rotary buffer could you recommend some pad/polish combos that are on the less aggressive side, as I've never polished with a rotary and don't want to do any damage while I'm learning.
Glad to help out. A rotary buffer can be dangerous if you are careless but with some basic pre-cautions and the right products you can get outstanding results. If you want to be really safe start off with 4" pads, they generate far less heat and are easier to control in my experience. I'd start off with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad and the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish). Both polishes are light cutting but will provide noticeable results. If you feel comfortable with them later on we can step up to the M105 and the Menzerna PO83 with an orange pad. When starting I would operate at about 900 RPMs and only move up as you feel comfortable. For more tips, directions, etc. check out our Ask a Pro Blog and our detailing guide.

Greg @ DI

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Wait a minimum of 15+ minutes before buffing off the excess sealant. I do basically the same thing you do but sometimes you can get a little too fast with the removal. Sometimes I'll apply a tire dressing or something in between to kill time. Also be sure to apply the sealant nice and thin so it cures faster. Remember with most sealants you only need about 1oz to do a medium size car. Otherwise I'm not sure why that product is so challenging to remove. If you ever want to try something new that is definitely easy to work with try the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. It's very durable, easy to use and looks amazing on all colors.

I don't think that i've been using too much, but it won't hurt to try to use a bit less so I'll try that for now. It'd be a waste if I didn't use up the rest of the sealant that I bought, but that Blackfire Wet Diamond will definitely be the next sealant that I buy.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by prinny
I don't think that i've been using too much, but it won't hurt to try to use a bit less so I'll try that for now. It'd be a waste if I didn't use up the rest of the sealant that I bought, but that Blackfire Wet Diamond will definitely be the next sealant that I buy.
One product I love to use with my sealant is the DI Accessories Dispenser Bottles 2oz, pouring it in there helps me in two ways. First off it has a very fine tip so it's easier to pour out less product and spread it on my pad. Secondly I can more easily tell how much product I've used. Hopefully this helps and down the road you can try the BFWD.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
im using M105/205 with surbuf and LC tang for 205. i feel like i should be using something else for 205....

what do you think?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
One product I love to use with my sealant is the DI Accessories Dispenser Bottles 2oz, pouring it in there helps me in two ways. First off it has a very fine tip so it's easier to pour out less product and spread it on my pad. Secondly I can more easily tell how much product I've used. Hopefully this helps and down the road you can try the BFWD.

Oooo surprised I haven't seen those before! Definitely going to buy them asap then haha. That's actually really useful hmm. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...