Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi George,

Could you tell me what would be a better product for a colder climate: Optimum No Rinse or Poor Boys S&W?

Winters here in Toronto are so weird...warm and cold. Lots of salt!!!!

I'm sure you know what I mean

Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 35bills
Hi George,

Could you tell me what would be a better product for a colder climate: Optimum No Rinse or Poor Boys S&W?

Winters here in Toronto are so weird...warm and cold. Lots of salt!!!!

I'm sure you know what I mean
Although Spray & Wipe is considered a "waterless wash", Optimum No Rinse does a much better job for heavier contamination. The only time I use Spray & Wipe as a waterless wash is to remove a light dusting. If you are looking to clean salt, ONR would be my choice.

George

Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering, I've been looking into sealants and I was wondering which one i should get? I have a 07 G sedan in silver and i was thinking about Acrylic Jett, Jett Trigger, or Meguires NXT. I really want to know if there is any difference between the Jett and Jett trigger, and if you don't like those, how's the NXT

Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
I was wondering, I've been looking into sealants and I was wondering which one i should get? I have a 07 G sedan in silver and i was thinking about Acrylic Jett, Jett Trigger, or Meguires NXT. I really want to know if there is any difference between the Jett and Jett trigger, and if you don't like those, how's the NXT
Between the two, the Werkstatt products are a better option to Meg's NXT. From my understanding there is a slight variation in the formula between Jett and Jett Trigger, however I don't know the details. Bottom line they both strive to achieve the same effect, protect your paint and enhance the look of the finish.

When a customer asks me what I suggest for lighter colored paint, the sealants I recommend to them are Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket or Poorboy's EX-P sealant.

One of the best things I can recommend on lighter colored paint to really get it to pop is to top any sealant you go choose with a quality carnauba wax. The carnauba wax will add additional depth and gloss as well as provide a barrier of protection that can often be more beneficial than a sealant. Waxes tend to prevent water spots and bird droppings from etching into the clear coat better than sealants.

On silver colored vehicles, my top choices for waxes are P21S Concours Carnauba Wax and Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax.

If you have other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi George,

My G sees all sorts of enviroment rain wind snow sun, and unfortanately I have to park it outside. I have the klasse brothers right now, I was wondering, would AIO be able to buff out the swirls? Im planning on buyin a PC7424 from you. Do you think I would get some good results from usin the PC with the klasse twins?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question regarding cleaning the rims: I havent read all the past posts, but is there a finish that will be taken off if i use a metal cleaner on the OEM 19" rims?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Question regarding cleaning the rims: I havent read all the past posts, but is there a finish that will be taken off if i use a metal cleaner on the OEM 19" rims?
It depends on what type of metal cleaner you are using. If you are using an abrasive metal polish, then you could be stripping off the clear coat on your wheels. Very acidic wheel cleaners can often oxidize or haze the surface when used too strong as well. Ideally, if you maintain them with auto shampoo and water on a regular basis, there shouldn't be much need for any metal cleaners. To help prevent brake dust and other contamination from sticking onto your wheels, consider investing in Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant or Wheel Wax. Both of these products make cleaning your wheels a breeze with simple shampoo and water.

Originally Posted by BALLINassG35
Hi George,

My G sees all sorts of enviroment rain wind snow sun, and unfortanately I have to park it outside. I have the klasse brothers right now, I was wondering, would AIO be able to buff out the swirls? Im planning on buyin a PC7424 from you. Do you think I would get some good results from usin the PC with the klasse twins?
Klasse AIO is a non-abrasive chemical polish. Typically, chemical polishes are capable of removing oxidation, water spots and other minor surface imperfections. However, to tackle swirls, you would want to invest in an abrasive polish to get the job done. Depending on how deep the imperfections will determine which polish, or polishes, are best for you. I would suggest looking into the Menzerna line of polishes, especially if you plan on picking up the PC7424.

If you need any help piecing together what you need, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
yes a product lineup would be nice. I already have the klasse twins. If I got the polishes, would I do it in this order AIO, polish, then sealant glaze?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
yes a product lineup would be nice. I already have the klasse twins. If I got the polishes, would I do it in this order AIO, polish, then sealant glaze?
Depending on how bad the swirls and imperfections are will determine which polish is right for you. Here are the Menzerna polishes in a nutshell.

Super Intensive Polish (SIP) - An excellent medium cutting polish that also leaves behind a great finish. On lighter colored vehicles you can get away with this as the only polish and go right into protecting the paint. This product has longer work time and dusts less than Intensive Polish. It also only comes in the 32oz size. This product excels on rotary or Flex XC3401VRG and is excellent on a PC. I typically use an orange light cutting pad for SIP.

Intensive Polish (IP) - A great medium cut polish that usually requires a follow up polish before protecting the paint. It has the tendency to dust and does not have a long work time like Super Intensive Polish. This comes in 16oz and 32oz sizes. This product works great on a PC or Flex. I typically use an orange light cutting pad for IP.

Final Polish II (FPII) - A great finishing polish that will remove any micro-marring or hazing left behind from a more aggressive polish mentioned above. This leaves behind an excellent finish and is easy to remove. This product has a longer working time than Intensive Polish and does not really dust much. We have this on 16oz and 32oz and works great on a PC or Flex. I'll finish down with a white polishing pad with FPII.

PO106FF - This is the premier finishing polish that has slightly more bite than the Final Polish II but finishes down finer than any other polish on the market. This is easy to remove and does not have the tendency to dust. This only comes in 32oz and works excellent on a rotary, Flex or a PC. I typically use a white polishing pad with the PO106FF.

Depending on how bad the swirls are, you may be able to get away with just a finishing polish like Final Polish II or PO106FF if they are light surface swirls. If they are deeper, consider pairing up your finishing polish with a medium cut polish like IP or SIP.

The proper order would be polish to remove imperfections first -> All In One -> Sealant Glaze

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Thanks for your input but unfortantely i already have AIO->sealant glaze layered onto my car. Should I just go ahead and polish it anyway with the products you mentioned above>?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks for your input but unfortantely i already have AIO->sealant glaze layered onto my car. Should I just go ahead and polish it anyway with the products you mentioned above>?
Polishing over the Klasse twins would remove the layers of protection that you just applied. If this was your winter prep job and you do not want to redo your hard work, just wait until Spring time and give it a thorough polishing then. Otherwise you are doing more than double your work for your winter prep.

If you have any other questions let me know.

George

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Depending on how bad the swirls and imperfections are will determine which polish is right for you. Here are the Menzerna polishes in a nutshell.

Super Intensive Polish (SIP) - An excellent medium cutting polish that also leaves behind a great finish. On lighter colored vehicles you can get away with this as the only polish and go right into protecting the paint. This product has longer work time and dusts less than Intensive Polish. It also only comes in the 32oz size. This product excels on rotary or Flex XC3401VRG and is excellent on a PC. I typically use an orange light cutting pad for SIP.

Intensive Polish (IP) - A great medium cut polish that usually requires a follow up polish before protecting the paint. It has the tendency to dust and does not have a long work time like Super Intensive Polish. This comes in 16oz and 32oz sizes. This product works great on a PC or Flex. I typically use an orange light cutting pad for IP.

Final Polish II (FPII) - A great finishing polish that will remove any micro-marring or hazing left behind from a more aggressive polish mentioned above. This leaves behind an excellent finish and is easy to remove. This product has a longer working time than Intensive Polish and does not really dust much. We have this on 16oz and 32oz and works great on a PC or Flex. I'll finish down with a white polishing pad with FPII.

PO106FF - This is the premier finishing polish that has slightly more bite than the Final Polish II but finishes down finer than any other polish on the market. This is easy to remove and does not have the tendency to dust. This only comes in 32oz and works excellent on a rotary, Flex or a PC. I typically use a white polishing pad with the PO106FF.

Depending on how bad the swirls are, you may be able to get away with just a finishing polish like Final Polish II or PO106FF if they are light surface swirls. If they are deeper, consider pairing up your finishing polish with a medium cut polish like IP or SIP.

The proper order would be polish to remove imperfections first -> All In One -> Sealant Glaze

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Great write up george and i see you are including the flex polisher in there now.Btw i like your site it has some informative info on it.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Great write up george and i see you are including the flex polisher in there now.Btw i like your site it has some informative info on it.
Thanks for the encouraging feedback Once some more people get the Flex in their hands and word gets out, the unit is going to be the new standard for paint correction. I'm addicted to the results it gives and cannot wait until the next time I get to use it.

Once you get those batteries charged / replaced, I am itching to see the finish on your G! Thanks again!

George

Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Thanks for the encouraging feedback Once some more people get the Flex in their hands and word gets out, the unit is going to be the new standard for paint correction. I'm addicted to the results it gives and cannot wait until the next time I get to use it.

Once you get those batteries charged / replaced, I am itching to see the finish on your G! Thanks again!

George
I promise I promise.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey George. What's your opinion on the new edge microfiber apron ???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...