Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG35R
exactly why I did not want to use this pad. think I will keep trying different polishes with the white pad first and see if something hits. need to get on a step stool so I can get more even pressure. thanks George!
Anytime, keep me posted on how things turn out. More pressure should always help.

Originally Posted by Drowe303
Pm'ed
Replied, sorry about the delay.

George

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

Recently I picked up a 2006 Volkswagen GLI that is metallic black. The paint is in pretty good condition so I'm going to go with a light cutting polish. I have the Menzerna PO106FF that I purchased from you. I see now that it has been changed to PO106FA. Is there much of a difference between the two? Also, what finishing polish would you recommend? I have tried to pick one out but you have several of them so I'm wondering what would work the best. It will be followed by the Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze, Chemical Guys JetSeal 109, and finally Natty's Red. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
From what i have read 106ff has a little more cut and 106fa finishes down better.All i have ever had to use was 106ff and then finish up with po85rd to burnish the finish just a little more.
I do also have a boatload of other polishes and cutting polishes too.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by yourdoinitwrong
George,

Recently I picked up a 2006 Volkswagen GLI that is metallic black. The paint is in pretty good condition so I'm going to go with a light cutting polish. I have the Menzerna PO106FF that I purchased from you. I see now that it has been changed to PO106FA. Is there much of a difference between the two? Also, what finishing polish would you recommend? I have tried to pick one out but you have several of them so I'm wondering what would work the best. It will be followed by the Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze, Chemical Guys JetSeal 109, and finally Natty's Red. Thanks for your help.
There's really not that much difference between the PO106FA and PO106FF. Unless you were a pro detailer using one for multiple bottles and then switched, I doubt you'd even notice a difference in performance they are that similar. The only thing Menzerna tweaked is the oils in it to give the PO106FA slightly longer work time.

PO106FF is a great finishing polish, you can go right to CG EZ Creme Glaze if you want. As superchargedg mentioned, PO85RD would be the only finishing polish that we offer that could potentially bring out more depth and gloss, so you could opt to apply that with a black pad after the PO106FF.

Everything else looks great, be sure to keep us posted on how everything turns out for you.

Cheers,

George

Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey George I bought some products from detailed image a couple months ago but I live in South florida and it rains almost every day so its kinda hard to wash my car properly with the products I bought. I live in an apartment complex with no garage so I cant hide it from the elements.
So I washed my car yesterday after it had rained but the humidity was so high that the car always had moisture on it. When I went to use my chemical guys EZ creme glaze and poor boys world exp sealant, there was a good amount of moisture present when I applied it. Does this affect the products in any way and if so how much. Also any ideas on how to avoid this is the future? And by the way this thread has started a whole new obsession for taken care of my care properly so thx.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Dental_G
Hey George I bought some products from detailed image a couple months ago but I live in South florida and it rains almost every day so its kinda hard to wash my car properly with the products I bought. I live in an apartment complex with no garage so I cant hide it from the elements.
So I washed my car yesterday after it had rained but the humidity was so high that the car always had moisture on it. When I went to use my chemical guys EZ creme glaze and poor boys world exp sealant, there was a good amount of moisture present when I applied it. Does this affect the products in any way and if so how much. Also any ideas on how to avoid this is the future? And by the way this thread has started a whole new obsession for taken care of my care properly so thx.
It depends on how much moisture you're actually talking about. If it's only a tiny bit then it can just help spread the product along further. If it was raining while you were applying it, then it could hinder the results.

For example, I mist my applicator pad with some water or quick detailer while applying a sealant to help the product spread as thin as possible. If it was only a tiny bit of moisture you probably got a similar effect as that. Hopefully it was clean moisture though and you weren't grinding contamination into the paint.

Hope this helps,

George

Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
haha yea it wasnt raining but the humidity in the air caused lots of condensation of the car so it helped out with spreading the products but I didnt know if the water would affect it in a negative way. Here are some pics after the glaze, sealant, wax- it rained on it before the pics so I had to wipe it off but it was beading really good.
this may not work

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1248997300

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1248997255

Last edited by Dental_G; 07-30-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Looking sharp! Obviously something worked

Lots of depth and gloss, you really made that color pop, good job.

George

Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks nice, what products did you use?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the best way to clean wheels that have two years of brake dust baked on them?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I used meguiars deep crystal soap to wash, clayed it with the meguiars clay kit, used chemical guys ez creme glaze, then sealed that with poor boys world exp sealant, waited for that to cure 24 hrs and finally topped it off with some natty's red past wax. All great products which I highly recommend. I applied them all by hand which took a long time but they all go on and come off quite easily.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Question--
So I decided to try out a new local shop that LOOKED like they knew what they were doing...big mistake. Lack of time and garage has forced me to take my G places instead of doing it myself. Anyway looked good when I picked it up but not till I washed it in the coming days did all these swirl marks come out.
What's my my best course of action to remove these swirl marks that are all over the car? The reason Im asking is because I dont want to wait for whatever they used to wear off, need to get this fixed asap and Ive never attempted detailing on recently detailed car. It's a '05 OB and feels good to the touch but just has HORRIBLE swirl marks...

Thanks guys.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
What is the best way to clean wheels that have two years of brake dust baked on them?
Best (and safest) wheel cleaner I've used is the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. It's pH balanced so it's safe to use on any wheels surface, but it's cleaning power can be multiplied by letting the product sit on the surface for long periods of time (up to 2 hours). After you let the product dwell, you'll want to wipe the surface down with a sponge, mitt, or brush to agitate the brake dust. Rinse it off, and touch up any areas as needed.

There are more powerful wheel cleaners out there, such as Poorboy's Spray & Rinse, which utilizes acid to cut through caked on brake dust, but it can potentially oxidize and fade rims when used excessively or not using the proper dilution ratio for the job at hand. Use the same technique I mentioned above, minus the 2 hour dwell time. This product I'd only let sit for a couple of minutes tops.

Pick up an EZ Detail Brush to clean the inner barrels of your wheels, unless you plan on taking them off the car when you detail them.

To prevent this from happening again and to make future cleanings significantly easier, I'd suggest protecting your wheels with some Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Originally Posted by ShoeMate
Question--
So I decided to try out a new local shop that LOOKED like they knew what they were doing...big mistake. Lack of time and garage has forced me to take my G places instead of doing it myself. Anyway looked good when I picked it up but not till I washed it in the coming days did all these swirl marks come out.
What's my my best course of action to remove these swirl marks that are all over the car? The reason Im asking is because I dont want to wait for whatever they used to wear off, need to get this fixed asap and Ive never attempted detailing on recently detailed car. It's a '05 OB and feels good to the touch but just has HORRIBLE swirl marks...

Thanks guys.
The best way to remove a majority of the swirls and other imperfections is by investing in a quality buffer, such as the Porter Cable 7424XP or the Flex XC3401VRG, and picking out the proper pad and polish combination.

To begin learning about the process and selecting the right products, I'd recommend reading over our polishing how-to guide.

A good starting point for polishing is Menzerna Power Finish with a green or white pad. It's a medium cutting polish that finishes down nicer than most polishes, so it's a great 1 step product to gauge how bad the imperfections really are.

After reading the guide, let me know if you have any specific questions or feel free to post up a pic of the imperfections so I can get a better idea on how bad the imperfections are on your paint.

Cheers,

George

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
hey whats up, quick question my wife has a cavalier and she left the windows down and it rained well i shamppoed the carpets and theres still a nasty smell in the car what can i do to get it out any otc stuff i can get plz helppppp

Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I got a question. Some ****ing bird pooped on my car.. The day right after I waxed my car. I immediately scratched the bird **** off when I saw it, but it had stained the hood of my car. The bird pooped in another area, but for some reason it did not stain there.

There is now a silhouette of the bird **** on my hood. I tried rubbing it out w/ ScratchX and Poorboys 2.5 and even rewaxing it. It does not come out!

How can I remove this? I tried taking pictures, but with my camera the silhouette does not even show up. It is pretty visible to the eyes though!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...