Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Killer Case of Road Film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful with the comet. Go to Autopia.org and do a search. I vaguely recall someone warning that there is only 1 type of comet type cleaner that should be used (unless you want scratching). I don't think comet was the brand. I just don't recall the right brand right now. The last thing you want to do is put scratches in the glass.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the finest steel wool you can find, i believe it's rated 0000. Works great for glass and does NOT scratch. If you don't believe me, google it. Obviously you can only use this on glass, not tint.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 AM
yeah I tried comet and it didnt really work. I think I'm going to stop being so cheap and break down and buy some stoners...and adam thats interesting you mention steel wool, I thought about that, but then I caught myself laughing out loud because I figured it would scratch the sh*t out of my windshield...thanks all hopefully this works

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Rain-X is horrilbe. I've tried to use it on a number of cars, but I always end up taking it off right after.
You can't just use one sheet at a time, it has to be a bunch of sheets otherwise it will tear. But newspaper leaves no streaks.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think it's possible to scratch the glass with a cleaner. I rubbed the %#$t out of the wife's windshield with comet and there wasn't a mark on it after.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by 2K5-G35-C
yeah I tried comet and it didnt really work. I think I'm going to stop being so cheap and break down and buy some stoners...and adam thats interesting you mention steel wool, I thought about that, but then I caught myself laughing out loud because I figured it would scratch the sh*t out of my windshield...thanks all hopefully this works
Did you try the Hydrogen Peroxide. I have even used it in the shower and sprayed it on that nasty orange stuff and you can here it just start fizzing and then it rinses away.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
I don't think it's possible to scratch the glass with a cleaner. I rubbed the %#$t out of the wife's windshield with comet and there wasn't a mark on it after.
Did it work?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by realgone
Did you try the Hydrogen Peroxide. I have even used it in the shower and sprayed it on that nasty orange stuff and you can here it just start fizzing and then it rinses away.
No I guess I will try that later on this afternoon after school before I go to Kragen or where ever to buy the stoners...

Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I've used Barmaids Friend (same shelf as Comet/Ajax and the rest) for years. Won't scratch glass. A couple of times a year. Right before the real rain starts in Seattle and again after it has pretty much stopped for a month or so. For regular cleaning I use Armour All Glass Cleaner on the outside and Stoner's on the inside.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bon Ami
There are two kinds of Bon Ami - the cleanser and the powder.
(1)The cleanser is in the round can that you can buy in the supermarket, it contains feldspar, calcite, and soap. It will scratch glass.

(2) The powder contains feldspar and soap, was used to clean the windows in Skylab, and is available in either a rectangular can or as a cleaning cake. You can't get it at the market but have to go to the hardware store or online at http://www.agelong.com.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bon Ami
There are two kinds of Bon Ami - the cleanser and the powder.
(1)The cleanser is in the round can that you can buy in the supermarket, it contains feldspar, calcite, and soap. It will scratch glass.

(2) The powder contains feldspar and soap, was used to clean the windows in Skylab, and is available in either a rectangular can or as a cleaning cake. You can't get it at the market but have to go to the hardware store or online at http://www.agelong.com.

Glass Scrub™ - this glass scrub removes insect smear, road oils, mineral deposits, lime scale, tree sap, baked-on mineral deposits, lime scale or tree sap. Glass Scrub™ A heavy-duty, cream cleanser that deep cleans auto glass safely and effectively without strong acids, alkalis, phosphates or solvents specifically formulated to clean glass without scratching.

The best time to use Glass Scrub is after you've washed the car but before you dry it. The glass must still be wet. I apply a small amount of product on a folded Glass Cleaning Cloth and rub the glass in circular motions making sure cover all areas thoroughly. Flip the cloth to a clean dry surface and rub again taking off the rest of the product. Rinse the glass with water until residue free, and dry with a Drying Towel - http://www.properautocare.com/glassscrub.html