Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

When you need a wash...not just quick detailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you need a wash...not just quick detailer

What is the rule on when you officially need to wash instead of dusting and QD?

Example. I typically wash my car every weekend that the weather is nice. I gave my car a full handwash and sealant last weekend. I only put about 50 miles on my car this week, and it has been beautiful weather with no rain. Its supposed to be nice this weekend so of course I want my car to be clean.

Looking at my car tonight in planning for tomorrow, there is obviously the dust on the rear of my car that comes pretty much immediately. I typically dust that off every few days with my Cali Duster, as I did once this week. Really not much else on my car but some basic dust and various spots of dirt that have flipped up along the sides, but you can tell it just lost its shine over the week.

What do you guys typically consider dirty enough to actually give it a full hand wash again instead of just dusting and quick detailer? I'm probably going to give it another wash because...well...err...okay I'm wicked ****...but just trying to get an idea from others on when you break out QD instead of the hose.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I myself don't use QD between wash. I just wash my car ever saturday. I really don't worry about clean it between the next wash. Thats just more chances of putting swirls on the car. So when it come to wash the car, I give it a good rinsing first or with ONR a pre rinse with my garden sprayer filled with QD strength and spray it on the car.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I only use QD 1 day after a wash, and only if its been dry out, and I keep a bottle for bird droppings, but other than that, I'll wait it out for a wash. I also use a cali duster for very light dust and pollen

Old 01-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's my routine...keep in mind I too am crazy **** about my car and have this technique down solid. So once my car is washed and assuming I have a good coat of wax and sealant on the car, I can easily go 2 or more weeks without having to wash the car as long as it doesn't rain of course. So, when I get home I wait about an hour or more so the car is totally cooled off. I use my cali duster and dust off the whole car. This is where having a good wax on the car comes into play. The slicker the surface, the easier the dust brushes off without leaving swirls. Once the car is dusted, I qd the whole car usually with Z6. That whole process takes maybe 10 minutes. One or twice a week depending how much driving I did, I'll qd the car with Z8. As for as slickness goes, nothing I've tried is as slick as Z8. That's basically it. If you stay with this process you can literally go weeks without having to wash your car. The key is just staying on top of things before it gets to where you have to wash it.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ BTW Never Gone, nice pics on 6mt!

I dont know... I would never trust the Cali duster on my car unless it was right after i washed it. Doesnt the dust that you sweep off get trapped in the duster? Like Scrooge said i would much rather wash my car than than use a duster.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by InLU
^^^ BTW Never Gone, nice pics on 6mt!

I dont know... I would never trust the Cali duster on my car unless it was right after i washed it. Doesnt the dust that you sweep off get trapped in the duster? Like Scrooge said i would much rather wash my car than than use a duster.

Thanks. I can honestly say I used this technique all summer and created NO swirls. Yes, dust will get trapped in the duster but remember, you're hardly using any pressure at all thus not giving it the chance to swirl your paint up. Also, I will take the duster outside when I'm done dusting the car off and give it a good shake just to get any lose crap off. Remember, if you have a good coat of wax on the car and your car is totally cooled off the dust will come right off. I should add, this works best if you garage your car regularly. I wouldn't do it if you leave your car outside all the time. Reason being, in the morning you can have dew on your car and that can set the dust in and make it a little harder to come off.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same here.. I wait it out till the next wash. I do hate having to drive around with a dirty G though; it kills me.