Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

damn leather seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn leather seats

one thing i hate is how it creases and starts to look worn. i drive my car alot and the driver seat is all creased up. can you guys recommend a product that will restore the seat and help lessen the wrinkles? ive seen dealers recondition leather seats to where it looks kinda new. i know the leather isnt better in a benz or beamer, but damn.. there has to be a conditioner that works for our seats too. ive been using lexol and that shiznit aint that great as advertised.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't think any product will restore the firmness of the bolsters. Wrinkles adds character!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
That’s normal wear and tear on the seats... it happens...

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The first year or so of ownership, I used to just "plop" my butt into the seat. I never realized how I was crushing the left side bolster.

It got so bad, my seat had wrinkled over on itself, and had little or no support.
I did get it replaced under warranty, and now I'm careful how I enter/exit my car.

Its been a little over three years with the replacement seat cushion and leather seat bottom, and so far little or no creases......I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Heres a shot or two from the beginning of summer......

Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
I did get it replaced under warranty, and now I'm careful how I enter/exit my car.
Exactly what did you tell the dealer to get the warranty work? I need to replace mine as well. Even the pass side is starting to fold and i rarely have passengers. Have any pics of the before replacement leather?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G-MENTED
one thing i hate is how it creases and starts to look worn. i drive my car alot and the driver seat is all creased up. can you guys recommend a product that will restore the seat and help lessen the wrinkles? ive seen dealers recondition leather seats to where it looks kinda new. i know the leather isnt better in a benz or beamer, but damn.. there has to be a conditioner that works for our seats too. ive been using lexol and that shiznit aint that great as advertised.
It's doubtful any dealer has the skill to remove creases from leather. They've likely brought in a pro. A leather repair expert will sand the seats, fill in the creases with a product similar to body filler and then dye the entire seat to restore a more original look. Unless your seats are really bad I wouldn't bother going through that. It will likely cost in the range of $150-250 per seat.

It's possible when you refer to wrinkles you might improve the look of your seat by replacing the foam cushions which might be worn. That would make the leather more loose, stretching and causing wrinkles.

Otherwise there isn't anything that will remove creases once they are there. Proper care will slow down the aging process but it sounds like you are doing that.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
It's doubtful any dealer has the skill to remove creases from leather. They've likely brought in a pro. A leather repair expert will sand the seats, fill in the creases with a product similar to body filler and then dye the entire seat to restore a more original look. Unless your seats are really bad I wouldn't bother going through that. It will likely cost in the range of $150-250 per seat.

It's possible when you refer to wrinkles you might improve the look of your seat by replacing the foam cushions which might be worn. That would make the leather more loose, stretching and causing wrinkles.

Otherwise there isn't anything that will remove creases once they are there. Proper care will slow down the aging process but it sounds like you are doing that.
Try this DIY kit-
Surface fissure (cracks) - repeated flexing and stretching of the pigmented leather or the acrylic polythene causes the surface coating to wear and crack causing the pigmented leather colouring to become visible, so what appears to be a cracking of the leather surface is in actuality fissure of the colorant running in a pattered direction. Having lost the protection of its covering the exposed hide allows dirt and dust to settle into the cracks making them more visible. If you use a product that contains oils or waxes on cracked leather it may affect the pigments adhesion to the leather, making make further restoration very difficult or impossible.

To repair use a reputable leather dye that will restore the surface to recreate a new seemingly original finish
This kit allows you to recolor worn and faded leather easily. The colour coat provided is a water based material that is designed to be highly compatible with leather, restores and renews the colour and finish of covered or protected automotive upholstery leather

Leather Magic (leather dye) –
US- http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/recolorkits.htm
U.K. - Leathermagicuk.com

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear. It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years.

I would like to share the knowledge / experience gained to help dispel the hype and myths surrounding automotive leather care / maintenance; we all need to continually learn, and share what we learn about products and changing processes. As things change; we need to change along with them.

Basic Leather care - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ther-care.html

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
is it easy to replace the cushion? the left edges of the my driver seat is worn out like crazy. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
WRAH
With 25,500 miles and almost no warranty, they called Infiniti and agreed to have the whole bottom of the seat replaced. My tech said this shouldn't happen that kind of wear to the foam support isn't normal.

All I had to do was show it to them!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Try this DIY kit-
Surface fissure (cracks) - repeated flexing and stretching of the pigmented leather or the acrylic polythene causes the surface coating to wear and crack causing the pigmented leather colouring to become visible, so what appears to be a cracking of the leather surface is in actuality fissure of the colorant running in a pattered direction. Having lost the protection of its covering the exposed hide allows dirt and dust to settle into the cracks making them more visible. If you use a product that contains oils or waxes on cracked leather it may affect the pigments adhesion to the leather, making make further restoration very difficult or impossible.

To repair use a reputable leather dye that will restore the surface to recreate a new seemingly original finish
This kit allows you to recolor worn and faded leather easily. The colour coat provided is a water based material that is designed to be highly compatible with leather, restores and renews the colour and finish of covered or protected automotive upholstery leather

Leather Magic (leather dye) –
US- http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/recolorkits.htm
U.K. - Leathermagicuk.com

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear. It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years.

I would like to share the knowledge / experience gained to help dispel the hype and myths surrounding automotive leather care / maintenance; we all need to continually learn, and share what we learn about products and changing processes. As things change; we need to change along with them.

Basic Leather care - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ther-care.html

Thanks. It's not me that needs the kit though. Leather magic has been a supplier to my company for many years. I would caution anyone the process is not a simple one to learn and experimenting with your own car isn't my idea of smart.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
maybe i can go to the dealership and tell them i complained about the seats before and got a bull**** response.. and then i read up on here that it was a common problem and should be replaced! lol

Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
i just got my driver side seat cushion replaced under warranty for the ripping on the side of the seat...

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Glycerine
Exactly what did you tell the dealer to get the warranty work? I need to replace mine as well. Even the pass side is starting to fold and i rarely have passengers. Have any pics of the before replacement leather?
Sorry, I didn't save any before pics....but believe me, my seat looked like it belonged in a 15yr old car, not a car one year old.

I showed the seat to my service writer when I had the car in for routine service....He immediately ordered a new foam cushion and leather seat bottom. He said there was no way the seat should collapse like that, even if it was five years old.

My dealership has one of the best service depts IMO, never had to fight to have any thing fixed/replaced/repaired.

I may have one other shot of my seat now........

Attached Thumbnails damn leather seats-seatpic9-07.jpg  

Last edited by GR8TG35; 01-26-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
??? i dont get it
they are replacing seats for free?!

the picture that you posted ^^^^ ... what's actually wrong? i cant tell what's actually wrong;

Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
All the pics I posted are of my new seat....I did not save the damaged seat pics unfortunately......

The left side bolster on the coupe seat usually gets creased or collapses due to the way you enter/exit the car.

Most of us with this problem have had the foam cushion and leather seat bottom replaced under warranty......

There is also another problem where the leather rips from the plastic tab that holds the seat bottom in place...If you look at your seat bottom by the hinge area, you will see the part I'm referring to........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: damn leather seats